J-Force Games

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Spoof of Adventures in Game Development...

Post by Falco Girgis »

So... has anybody seen their latest video? "How to get banned from TIGD... twice"?

I don't get why they'd flaunt that. They're just making the entire indie gamedev scene hate them by putting on their fake macho, narcissistic persona on camera. We're a bunch of nerds, not a bunch of women impressed by the type of would-be grandiosity that they try so desperately to give themselves.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I haven't watched any yet and don't really intend to....
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

edit: I don't want people to say "I'd buy it... but I'm just going to download it." They'd have to say "Goddamn, I want all the extras!!"
That's an excellent idea lol.. you can't torrent signatures! (i think..?)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

LMFAO!

They've taken their stuff...A step lower? o.o;;

Check out some of the comments. LMFAO! Disabled ratings and comments now. XD
You should give us a guide on how to get banned on your forums too.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

Yeah I agree that it makes the indie game comunity look bad plus I dont find them funny at all more annoying then anything plus there is like 5 people on the team but only 1 programer and 1 artist.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Supposedly there's 6 people on the team (according to their site), but you're right about there only being one programmer.

Jonny Eden - Programmer, Designer
Jordan Blakey - Artist, Designer
Justin Overton - Technical Advisor
Jeremy Eden - Business Manager, Designer
Jesse Leverett - Designer
Ty Dauster - Designer

Is it just me, or does the fact that they have 5 people designing, and one person programming seem a bit unbalanced? I guess everyone tosses their ideas into a hat and the programmer picks one out randomly and has to program it :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
patio
JForce Team Member

Post by patio »

so why dont you guys sell your game?

Also did you read his post where he tries to justify him being on the team as if he's needed? http://jforcegames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=46

There just some noobs making a crappy 2d shooter. He acts like there a big corporation or something. Their game isnt going to make any money, that is if they even finish it.
best indie game ever coming soon
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

patio wrote:so why dont you guys sell your game?
Morals or ethics or personal beliefs or humility or something xD.

In all seriousness, though, I can think of a list of reasons:
It'd probably be a pain in the butt.
Some of us have enough headaches right now.
Some people may or may not be using paid-for versions of some software.
Some of us are living comfortably enough right now.
We'd rather people enjoyed our game rather than paid for it.
We don't have to spend any money on the game itself, why should other people?
- Unless they want to. Send all donations to the team member of your choice.

Gyro probably has some other reason, but those work for me. =)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

patio wrote:Also did you read his post where he tries to justify him being on the team as if he's needed?
Sounds like they are making the game JUST to sell it (try to)..

But if you sell your game.. doesn't that kick you out of the "indie" bin..

"We're gonna sell the best indie game ever" .. sounds like a paradox to me..
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Can't it still be "indie" if they publish it themselves?
Also, he makes a strong argument about the marketing thing. I don't say I agree with it but he does support it well with evidence from other people (successes? I don't recall anymore) in the industry.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

So I've been researching J-Force extensively, because I can. Because I'm a nosy bastard. They have the drive, the motivation, the passion, and the things that make success. But their "theory" that their marketer says came from "8 months of extensive market research" is fundamentally flawed.

These "fundamental" flaws can be blamed on their extreme inexperience. You can go out and study the macro and micro economics of homebrew video games, but it really doesn't do a team much good if they don't realize how a game is made, how much work it takes, etc.

They are "marketing"
Now this wouldn't be a mistake at all, if they understood more about the game development process. The marketing guy's research and findings are sound, but you don't market until you have a product to show off. Their level of completion on that game must be less than 10%. They're pushing for all of this marketing, publicity, advertising--why? The people who are going to see this are going to be fellow indie developers (like us) who only see a very, very rough game, concepts that may never be implemented, and an arrogance combined with lack of experience that makes it hard for us to take them seriously.

Then the consumers are going to see this, and they are going to immediately lose interest. Their product doesn't exist. There's not enough of a game to show off, there's nothing there to entice consumers. They're going to shrug it off after their first impression and never give it a second chance.

The marketing guy understands the importance of marketing. It's clear that he really has done his homework, and he has my respect for that, but his fundamental ignorance of the entire game development process is going to be the fall of his entire "master scheme."

I like these guys. I think they have passion, motivation, drive, and all that good stuff despite their arrogance (which they haven't yet earned). I'd like to be proven wrong.

source: http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/showtopic43839.htm - They've posted that in every major programming forum on the internet. Read their links in the post about the "theory for success."
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re: J-Force Games

Post by trufun202 »

The extremely RARE case of an indie game generating revenue typically comes from something truly original - a new concept / twist that redefines the genre.

I don't see this level of originality in their game. To be fair, I don't have much originality in my game either - but I have no intentions of selling it either...

Getting people to buy indie games is extremely difficult. Especially with the quality of games that people can get for free. I tried to have a small business selling mobile games, but failed miserably. I had 4 Java-based cellphone games selling at 3 bucks a pop and didn't make squat. I think I sold 2 copies.

But...best of luck to them, I guess we'll see.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

GyroVorbis wrote:The marketing guy's research and findings are sound, but you don't market until you have a product to show off.
Wrong: you can generate plenty of hype (marketing!) without a product to show off. Sony generates hype with pre-rendered videos, for instance. Black & White generated lots of hype through interviews.
Duke Nukem Forever has plenty of hype.... but you won't buy it.

So a related statement that is true would be:
You don't market until you have a product in a near-demo state.

Hype all you want. It's effective. It makes people sit up and want more. But you have to deliver more soon (within a year and a half or so, I'd guess), and that more has to be actual gameplay demo, or you'll get tagged as vaporware by the people you hyped to. I guess you'd call it "Tell & Show" :)
Arce

Post by Arce »

My thoughts are this:

Their game does not have enough originality to sell how they want. Perhaps they will sell, some. To developers, and those who watch their videos. But it will be a highly insignificant amount of money.

Who is willing to pay money for an indie game when they can simply google "boxhead" and get instant, free flash games of greater quality, design, and originality than their own? Only other developers (and, due to the fact that they're using 360, all other 360 developers will get free access to it, will they not?) and fans.

Until I see some magical idea or steak of uniqueness they pull out of their asses, I simply cannot believe people will have enough incentive to buy. Regardless of how cheap.

So, this is my questions. How many copies do you actually think they can sell? Enough to make it worth creation and having sold?

In their ad they've stated an estimated goal of 100,000. Realistic?

Also, they're recruiting. Obviously they've taken note of their unbalanced team and are looking for more professional help. More team members, more of a money cut. atm, 100,000 6 ways is 16k each, minus expenses for development. That's no pocket change. Again, realistic? That means they're counting on at very LEAST 20,000 buyers.
Last edited by Arce on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arce

Post by Arce »

Huge success:
http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/8/indi ... first-week

So much so...?
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/10/100 ... game_1.php

Second guy made ~100,000 in a full year of being sold. He's a professional who works for the industry now...And that 100k is total sales, not including Microsoft's cut. Compare his game to Jforce's. I'd assume this is where they draw inspiration?

More indie sales info.
http://www.gameproducer.net/category/sales-statistics/

Now, again, do you think these guys can do it? The majority of these games are making 10k, which is being split among their 2 person teams, and is accumulated throughout an several years. Though if they're lucky and play their cards right, maybe it's possible.