Visual C++ 2008 Redistribution

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Visual C++ 2008 Redistribution

Post by herby490 »

I am using the vc++ express compiler and in order to give out your product you need to give the dlls along with it. How to i distribute these with out having the person download the redistributable package.
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Visual C++ 2008 Redistribution

Post by Kros »

After a quick google search that lead me to here, it seems that you can modify your project settings to build with the DLL's included, though it will increase your binaries size, as expected.

Project Settings -> C/C++ -> Code Generation -> Runtime LIbrary
Change to "Multithreaded" / "Multithreaded Debug".

Hope that helps!
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

I read somewhere that when you switch it to multithreaded its bad for the program but i do not remember the source. Does anyone know what that problem is or if there isn't any.
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kros »

The other solution thats mentioned (which I believe is actually being used by the ES team) is to distribute the files found in the Microsoft.VC90.CRT folder.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

I know that certain dlls are needed for different projects, how do i find out which ones are the correct ones to distribute. And Microsoft also does not want certain dlls distributed which ones are those.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

herby490 wrote:And Microsoft also does not want certain dlls distributed which ones are those.
Maybe they should've thought a littler harder about this before they made it impossible to run programs without them then, eh? :lol:

As far as which ones I'm afraid I can't help you very much there.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kros »

herby490 wrote: And Microsoft also does not want certain dlls distributed which ones are those.
I haven't seen/heard this anywhere. Wouldn't make sense for them to not want to distribute the files that they freely made available. As to what specific DLLs for Express? All I've seen is to just copy/paste all of the junk from the Microsoft.VC90.CRT folder. Google around, might be able to find specifics that way.
YouTube Channel
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

You "can't" redistribute the debug dlls. But you can redistribute anything in the release folders, I think but not totally sure.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

So any of the three dlls in the Microsoft.VC90.CRT folder are legal to distribute and if i distribute them will I have to distribute all of them or do some applications only require one or two.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

All I think
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

I tried distributing a program to my other computer and I could not get it to work on that computer. I copied all the dlls and the manifest file in Microsoft.VC90.CRT folder on the other computer but it still wont work.

EDIT: It might be useful to know that i am going from my vista computer to an xp computer
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Try also copying the Microsoft.VC90.MFC folder. Just the contents. So you have

somedirectory:
- myapp.exe
- a bunch of dlls from the microsoft.vc90.crt folder
- a bunch of dlls from the microsoft.vc90.mfc folder

Sorry, it's not something I've tested yet. I'm going off of the "private assembly" instructions section on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235291.aspx
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

I found that there is a program that tells you which dlls a program needs to run and I have gotten those dlls on my other computer but the program still will not run any idea why
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

They're not in the right dir. You can do it the "right" way and make the visual c runtime library installer from microsoft run on all target machines, see the url I posted for a link or something. Might be "easier"
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

I tried that but it still does not work. Should I just go back to Code::Blocks and use the MinGW compiler with SDL and OpenGL since it is illegal to use DirectX with any compiler other than Visual C++?