Google Native Client

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Google Native Client

Post by THe Floating Brain »

Hi there, the alpha version of my game engine is almost done and, as I may have mentioned before it is going to be on a cloud. Although the toolkit of my engine is going to be done in Java, the engine itself is in C++ with lua scripting; I would like to be able to run it in browser along with it's respective tool kit (there fore also making all games made with it multi-platform and in browser). I want to avoid using ActiveX for this task since it will only work for Microsoft Windows, instead I would love to use Google Native Client. However I have a few questions first:

A: Considering that my engine is made with SFML which is based on OpenGL is this possible.
B: Considering the lua-binding library I am using (luabind) contains a small
copy of a portion boost is this feasible?
C: Is there any other options I could consider if the parameters above are not met or other options that are easier?

A problem I have (embarrassingly) run into is:

How do you download it?!?!! Despite the excellent documentation when I went to the download page only the link for the update tool is present; and there does not seem
to be further instruction as to how to download it.
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Google Native Client

Post by qpHalcy0n »

Google Native Client uses OpenGL-ES for graphics. Unless SFML has an OpenGL-ES binding, you will not be able to use it for graphics. OpenGL-ES is fairly similar to OpenGL but you'll have to read the specification to see what is and is not different.

I take it that the download page you're referring to is this one: https://developers.google.com/native-cl ... k/download

If so, all of the instructions are there. After you follow those directions, its up to you to browse the SDK documentation like you would any SDK. From what I gather, they use a custom toolchain built around Newlib.
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

qpHalcy0n wrote:Google Native Client uses OpenGL-ES for graphics. Unless SFML has an OpenGL-ES binding, you will not be able to use it for graphics. OpenGL-ES is fairly similar to OpenGL but you'll have to read the specification to see what is and is not different.
Being the over-confedent person I am, I have actaully entered the engine at my school science fair (a very large portion of my Chemistry-Honers grade) and it is due in one month! :lol: Considering the fact that I still have to make the tool kit do you think that I would have time to bind SFML to OpenGL ES 2.0 (I havent been able to find a binding)?
qpHalcy0n wrote: I take it that the download page you're referring to is this one: https://developers.google.com/native-cl ... k/download

If so, all of the instructions are there. After you follow those directions, its up to you to browse the SDK documentation like you would any SDK. From what I gather, they use a custom toolchain built around Newlib.
So are you saying that the custom tool chain is located some - where in the documentation?
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

Being the over-confedent person I am, I have actaully entered the engine at my school science fair (a very large portion of my Chemistry-Honers grade) and it is due in one month! Considering the fact that I still have to make the tool kit do you think that I would have time to bind SFML to OpenGL ES 2.0 (I havent been able to find a binding)?
See Here: https://developers.google.com/native-cl ... n_g_l_e_s2

Unfortunately, no, you will not be able to do this. OpenGL ES is exposed via their Pepper API.

So are you saying that the custom tool chain is located some - where in the documentation?
Yes, its very well and very clearly documented. You will just have to pore over the documentation, specifically the developers guide titled "getting started", in order to learn how the toolchain works. I've never used it but from a cursory glance it doesn't appear to be much different from any other custom API in terms of build process.
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Sigh perhaps a project for another day then, thank you anyway :-D

ImageImage