The Future and High-level programming.

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

The Future and High-level programming.

Post by Benjamin100 »

Is anybody else afraid that advancements of the future will allow for more uses of extremely high-level programming languages, and that programming languages will be much easier to understand? I just think that with the advancement of faster hardware, people will be able to use extremely high-level programming languages for almost everything they do with computers, including computer games. I'm afraid this could lead to many people being able to program lots of different software very easily, and making the market of programming very competitive. I'm afraid that in the near future, sometime in the next eight years or so, almost everybody will be able to easily program, and all of the time I spend learning lower level programming could be wasted.

What do you think about this?

EDIT: On the other hand, I suppose the faster the hardware gets the faster the lower-level programming will work as well. Still, it seems like soon enough it will be so fast to do extremely high-level programming that it won't matter. Look at how far things have come just in recent years.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: The Future and High-level programming.

Post by hurstshifter »

If anything, making programming more accessible is a good thing. Inevitably, every technology will become easier to use and understand. When this happens, new technologies and ideas arise that create new jobs and fields of study. Remember, there was a time when electricity and telephones were a wonder, when the internet was something that only universities, scientists, and governments had access to, and when television did not exist. We evolved past those times, and are at a f***ing amazing time in history for science and technology. Hope for more people to embrace and understand complex technologies so we can accelerate our progress into an even more spectacular future. This is the way of the world.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

Amen.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Low level programming will exist forever. Someone has to build those platforms for others to program on. Even if AnyoneCanProgramScript (ACPS) comes out tomorrow, someone has to build and expand the interpreter and APIs. As computers become faster, there will indeed be less need to write low level code to complete any given app, but there will always be some need for low level goodness. :)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Low level programming will exist forever. Someone has to build those platforms for others to program on. Even if AnyoneCanProgramScript (ACPS) comes out tomorrow, someone has to build and expand the interpreter and APIs. As computers become faster, there will indeed be less need to write low level code to complete any given app, but there will always be some need for low level goodness. :)
Thank you.

Everybody said assembly would die. It hasn't. Everybody said C would die. It hasn't. Until your CPUs start executing Java natively (never), shit isn't going to happen. As a matter of fact, as languages like AnyoneCanProgramScript start allowing less and less educated and talented people to write code (sorry, it's true), it just makes low level ASM, C, and C++ developers like me more valuable and better paid... by all means, bring the future.

I know... I'm an elitist asshole. ;)
Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Benjamin100 »

EDIT: Just rereading this reply didn't make sense, editing it:

Thanks for the thoughts.
Last edited by Benjamin100 on Tue May 29, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imrooniel
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Imrooniel »

In my opinion there will be always for assembly and likes. As computers get better, scientists strive for even more complex and detailed simulations. I think no matter how powerful computer will we build, there will be always program that pushes its limits to its fullest, thus providing need for small tweaks and such.

On the other hand, progress of miniaturization and its pinnacle: nanotechnology and nanorobots might provide unique use for extremely efficient programing languages. Somehow I think robot that can fit on tip of a pin can't really run java ;)
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Image
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

Falco Girgis wrote:Everybody said assembly would die. It hasn't. Everybody said C would die. It hasn't. Until your CPUs start executing Java natively (never), shit isn't going to happen. As a matter of fact, as languages like AnyoneCanProgramScript start allowing less and less educated and talented people to write code (sorry, it's true), it just makes low level ASM, C, and C++ developers like me more valuable and better paid... by all means, bring the future.

I know... I'm an elitist asshole. ;)
To be fair, not all high level languages are "AnyoneCanProgramScript" languages. Haskell comes to mind.

Of course, this has nothing to do with low level languages staying or going away. I'm just an elitist asshole on the other end of the spectrum. :)
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Falco Girgis wrote:
TheBuzzSaw wrote:Image
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: