@ Falco

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

dearbo
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

@ Falco

Post by dearbo »

I see that your a student for Computer Engineering. I plan on majoring in Computer Science, but I can't really find a significant career path difference between the two, I don't know anyone knowledgeable to answer the question, and Google failed me on this one. So can you please explain to me the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Science , and the career paths available to each one?
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: @ Falco

Post by MarauderIIC »

I think that Computer Engineering is more low-level constructs and Computer Science is more theory and algorithm designs. But I'm a CS student, will have to wait for Falco's comparison too.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

MarauderIIC wrote:I think that Computer Engineering is more low-level constructs and Computer Science is more theory and algorithm designs. But I'm a CS student, will have to wait for Falco's comparison too.
Yes. Computer Engineers get into circuitry and designing computers from the gate level up. You're dealing with lower level languages like assembly, C, C++. The highest level language you are going to be using (unless you do certain electives) is going to be C++.

There's much less focus on algorithms, design, and OO programming and much more emphasis on hardware, and how things work at lower levels. Think of computer engineering as the Red Mage of Computer Science (software) and Electrical Engineering (hardware). You're going to be more hardware than CS and more software than EE.
ultimatedragoon69
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Pangea's quest (text ~tile~ based rpg)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, PC, playstation 1, Virtual Boy, Snes
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by ultimatedragoon69 »

I'm currently a computer science student and i do have to say that assembly language for me is a requirement. On another note i may take up computer engineering as well mainly because I'm a computer hobbiest so it sounds like it would be awesome.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm a bitch for the low level, and I sho' does like me some circuits. I also feel like I know a good chunk of the CS stuff as a hobby, so I would be better off learning the hardware things that I don't know...
MakazeGamer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by MakazeGamer »

What college are you currently going to Falco ? I am a senior right now and am looking to get into Computer Science and was wondering which college you were going to. Yes i know you said you were in Computer Engineering, but i was just wondering.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

University of Alabama, Huntsville.
MakazeGamer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by MakazeGamer »

Cool, does the Computer Science major have class requirements, like i know from a couple colleges you need to have Calculus and Chemistry, taken already before entering.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

You can take the prereqs at college too usually.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
MakazeGamer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by MakazeGamer »

well i was prolly just going to go to a community college to get pre classes out of the way
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

MarauderIIC wrote:I think that Computer Engineering is more low-level constructs and Computer Science is more theory and algorithm designs. But I'm a CS student, will have to wait for Falco's comparison too.

aren't they the same thing? well I mean aren't there 2 different computer sciences ? Like computer sciences(engineering) then computer sciences(letters and science)?
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

They're titled differently as far as I know.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

MarauderIIC wrote:They're titled differently as far as I know.
lol
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Haha, I think I forgot to finish my thought! I don't remember what it was now.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

MarauderIIC wrote:Haha, I think I forgot to finish my thought! I don't remember what it was now.
XD, I hate when that happens