C++ Books

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

ultimatedragoon69
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Pangea's quest (text ~tile~ based rpg)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, PC, playstation 1, Virtual Boy, Snes
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Re: C++ Books

Post by ultimatedragoon69 »

I liked the c++ book called absolute c++ by walter savitch. Had all the beginning stuff i needed. You might want to have a look into that as well.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

I've always said, "Programming is like Karate, you can't learn it from a book." (thank you Mr. Miyagi)

Now...don't get me wrong, I own plenty of programming books, they're good for reference material and citing specific examples. But programming, as an art, comes from experience, learnings, and in-depth discussions with fellow programmers - which is way more fun that reading a book. :mrgreen:
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Cblyakov
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Cblyakov »

trufun202 wrote:I've always said, "Programming is like Karate, you can't learn it from a book." (thank you Mr. Miyagi)

Now...don't get me wrong, I own plenty of programming books, they're good reference material and citing specific examples. But programming, as an art, comes from experience, learnings, and in-depth discussions with fellow programmers - which is way more fun that reading a book. :mrgreen:
Very true, but topic-wise I found the "C++ for Dummies" book not very helpful. I guess it's just a difference with preference but I hated that book. Ironically I too bought "C++ Primer Plus 5th Edition" and i'm very happy I did, for me thats a very large step up from the Dummies book but in a good way.

First post on the forum too, please go easy :P
ultimatedragoon69
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

ill have to agree with your statement that it is way easier to learn from others then a book. Of course not all people that i know learn the same way i do, and i found the book that i suggested gives a helping hand into the world of c++. On that note there are probably better books, This is the one i prefer though.
NeonNinja♦
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by NeonNinja♦ »

If i asked you guys all the time you would get annoyed :D

P.S sorry i didnt post for a while (first day of school) D:
"Java is C++ without the guns, knives, and clubs" <------- So true.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I suppose, theres a few aspects to think about when you're trying to learn C++ from a book:

- Do you actually want to learn to C++ at this moment in time, i.e. are you in the mood to read?
- Do you have support incase you don't understand something?
- Is the book your're reading 'Geared' towards your objective (theres no point getting a book that assumes you know how to program if you don't)

I'm talking from experience(the limited experience I have )... I'd be the first to admit, that i'm quite new to programming, as in, I don't understand all of the aspects of programming quite yet.

But when I was trying to learn C++, I started when I was about 15(now 17 and in sixth form doing computing), and I was still in school (this is in the UK by the way), so NOBODY knew how to program anything!, which made it hard for me when I was looking through my books and I didn't understand something. That sort of covers my second point, now back to the first one...

If you don't want to read the book, or you don't have the patience, then you might benefit from waiting for the right time to study using the book(when you're in the mood), or you might benefit from getting someone with programming knowledge to explain some of the basics, then go back to the book.

My final point, if you don't get the right book, then you will probably just get really confused and you'll feel cheated out of your few £'s you spent on the book, for example, I bought a book called "C++: as programmer's introduction", to the untrained eye (or complete idiot that I am), the title suggests that it's a book that introduces you to C++, while this is true, it assumes you know how to PROGRAM(i.e it is an introduction for experienced programmers), which at the time, I couldn't do, I was very disapointed...

Now I know a bit better, and I generally find out more about the book before I buy it, get recommendations, and make sure the book is geared towards what i'm aiming for.

In a nutshell, don't just buy any random book, buy an approriate reference, the best ones are the ones you can understand and refer to if you have a problem.

I use "sams teach yourself C++ in 24 hours", but i'm always looking for alternatives (that I can afford!)

That was long for a first post, oh well...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Kleithap wrote:I was recently told by Falco that "Sam's teach yourself C++ in 21 days" is a good book . I'm getting that one myself :)
Very good book. Even covers advanced C++ concepts. Once you read a certain amount (nowhere near all of it is necessary), you can stop and come back to it as a reference when you need to.
well just so I don't make a new topic for a question pretty much the same as this one...

I've heard great things about Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 Days, so I would assume their book on C would also be great, can anyone vouch for it? I'm thinking of buying both, but since I'm going with C right now, I want to find a good C book.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

XianForce wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
Kleithap wrote:I was recently told by Falco that "Sam's teach yourself C++ in 21 days" is a good book . I'm getting that one myself :)
Very good book. Even covers advanced C++ concepts. Once you read a certain amount (nowhere near all of it is necessary), you can stop and come back to it as a reference when you need to.
well just so I don't make a new topic for a question pretty much the same as this one...

I've heard great things about Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 Days, so I would assume their book on C would also be great, can anyone vouch for it? I'm thinking of buying both, but since I'm going with C right now, I want to find a good C book.
I personally cannot vouch for it, but yeah, if it's anything like 21 days, it'll be daaamn good.

And I'm curious, why C first? Don't get me wrong, I started as a C programmer, and I love C. But most people around here were born into C++. Any particular reason that you are choosing that path?
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

GyroVorbis wrote:
XianForce wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:

I personally cannot vouch for it, but yeah, if it's anything like 21 days, it'll be daaamn good.

And I'm curious, why C first? Don't get me wrong, I started as a C programmer, and I love C. But most people around here were born into C++. Any particular reason that you are choosing that path?
Not really, I started programming before I even heard of your videos. I hadn't heard any real "solid" suggestions, so I just thought C would be better to start with, and now that I'm in with C. I asked you on youtube a few months ago, I believe. and I think the gist of what you said was that C++ was a more powerful language, but that C was a great place to start, and that it was where you started.

So I guess the only reason I'm choosing C is because I started with it, I'm not too far into it, I don't have too much free time on my schedule right now, so what do you think? I'm not the experienced one. I think someone should point me in the right direction xD.
ultimatedragoon69
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

as far a learning the first programming language its more about preference then anything else. i like the OO design concepts better from c++ in my point of view but i do have to say from what i here about c its definitely not a dead language and if you prefer it, it is a good place to start.