Programming Tutorials.

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Programming Tutorials.

Post by avansc »

I recently graduated with a BS in CSC and am just getting bored with the mundane programming im doing in the industry.
im going to start making videos on basic and advanced programming topics. but i need suggestions from you guys, so if there is anything that
you think would be cool to have a video tutorial for let me know and i'll get on it.

hope to hear what you guys think.

PS: topics can be anything in programming, graphics, interpreters, data structures, game theory, physics, AI. whatever you would want to see.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Programming Tutorials.

Post by M_D_K »

I would love to see things in graphics. Especially stuff relating to shaders and the programmable pipeline.
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

avansc wrote:I recently graduated with a BS in CSC and am just getting bored with the mundane programming im doing in the industry.
im going to start making videos on basic and advanced programming topics. but i need suggestions from you guys, so if there is anything that
you think would be cool to have a video tutorial for let me know and i'll get on it.

PS: topics can be anything in programming, graphics, interpreters, data structures, game theory, physics, AI. whatever you would want to see.
Sounds great. I'll give you some suggestions when I've got more time and am less tired. ;P

Good to have people helping out others like that. May I refer those in need of help to this topic? (note: this may lead to many people wanting help!) Up to you. ;P
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Arce

Post by Arce »

Also, i think data structures will do the community some good. You don't know how many times I run into programmers making a game that don't understand the concept of a linked list, let alone ques, templates, trees, ADT's, etc.

Not to imply that one must be acquainted with advanced data types to be a successful devver (quite the opposite) but I do think it is good to know what's available. Though knowing linked lists, arrays, and vectors are almost necessary for a game. ;P
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

A videos about pointers wouldn't hurt. That seems to be the hardest thing for people to grasp.
Arce

Post by Arce »

I'll agree with you there.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

A video on when to use a C++ approach versus a C approach would do all of the anti C, pro C++ abusers some good.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Arce wrote:
avansc wrote:I recently graduated with a BS in CSC and am just getting bored with the mundane programming im doing in the industry.

Sounds great. I'll give you some suggestions when I've got more time and am less tired. ;P

Good to have people helping out others like that. May I refer those in need of help to this topic? (note: this may lead to many people wanting help!) Up to you. ;P
yea sure. i love helping where i can. these days im just writing data validation code is something called REXX, its an IBM proprietary interpreted language. so i need something to do.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

XianForce wrote:A videos about pointers wouldn't hurt. That seems to be the hardest thing for people to grasp.
yeah, i think my first tutorial will on this. i will start by making a linked list in just straight C, then showing the advantages of moving to C++.
i'll allso go over things like passing by reference and so on. covering list, stacks, queues. double linked lists. etc.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

GyroVorbis wrote:A video on when to use a C++ approach versus a C approach would do all of the anti C, pro C++ abusers some good.
i like this idea to, many times i see people just go straight to C++ when a straight C will work better. i'll have to first find a good example now.
ansatsusha_gouki
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ansatsusha_gouki »

XianForce wrote:A videos about pointers wouldn't hurt. That seems to be the hardest thing for people to grasp.

i agree :mrgreen:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

If you'll continually edit your original post with links to your tutorial topics and change the topic to something like "Programming Tutorial Requests & Archive", I'll sticky this.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

MarauderIIC wrote:If you'll continually edit your original post with links to your tutorial topics and change the topic to something like "Programming Tutorial Requests & Archive", I'll sticky this.
im not sure how to do this. if you tell me how i will. (im not exactly sure what you are saying.) ps: i dont even know what stickying this means. lolz. im a interwebz noob. sorry.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

I'd love to see some tutorials with A.I.; what specifically, I don't know other than c\c++ for a language. I know of the various types, but as for as implementing, I really haven't done much research myself. Anything you post would be great, I'm sure somebody somewhere will appreciate it.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Trask wrote:I'd love to see some tutorials with A.I.; what specifically, I don't know other than c\c++ for a language. I know of the various types, but as for as implementing, I really haven't done much research myself. Anything you post would be great, I'm sure somebody somewhere will appreciate it.
i love AI, i will def do something on that.