Suggestion for falcos next how to program video.

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Levio91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Suggestion for falcos next how to program video.

Post by Levio91 »

Tell people to familiarize themselves with stl(standard template library) its a great place to start for c++.
"Criticism is something you can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing. " - Aristotle

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Suggestion for falcos next how to program video.

Post by avansc »

Levio91 wrote:Tell people to familiarize themselves with stl(standard template library) its a great place to start for c++.
what?
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

avansc wrote:
Levio91 wrote:Tell people to familiarize themselves with stl(standard template library) its a great place to start for c++.
what?
I was laughing for 5 minutes xD

I imagined you saying that by animating your avatar picture in my head..
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

cypher1554R wrote:
avansc wrote:
what?
I was laughing for 5 minutes xD

I imagined you saying that by animating your avatar picture in my head..
lolz
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

avansc wrote:what?
What do you mean, what? STL has a bunch of useful things that make your life easier, and professors tend to not cover it, and intro classes tend to not mention it at all.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

MarauderIIC wrote:
avansc wrote:what?
What do you mean, what? STL has a bunch of useful things that make your life easier, and professors tend to not cover it, and intro classes tend to not mention it at all.
two reasons i say what for.

1. its not a good place to start for C++ (that was my main reason)
2. as a C programmer i tend to look down on certain STL things. if it was used responsibly it be fine, but people will just use it all the time even if they dont know the mechanics behind it. the name STL is a oxymoron, because its not standard. STL has numerous design issues that just make it unacceptable for for someone serious about their software to use. there are even things in the STL like copy_if that was just left out because of oversight()may have changed. its inefficient that you cant choose memory from the pools you want.

STL tries to do what java does. and i guess its fine, but its sub standard to me at least. and is not accepted in the industry.

there is nothing STL can do beter than what a decent coder can.

edit: i was in a foul mood last night so this is probably a hard evaluation. STL has its place. but i always recommend knowing how to do things yourself if need be.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

In our project, we use STL extremely sparingly. It isn't something that a console developer should rely heavily on.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

yeah... I guess if you're able to create your own data structures, you're able to control every property/attribute that they have, and your cutting away the extra 'fat' you would get with an STL object.

could be a valuable learning experience to create your own templates, rather than rely on what is commonly provided for you in any ANSI compliant/standardised compiler/IDE.

but hey, what do I know? :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

programmerinprogress wrote:yeah... I guess if you're able to create your own data structures, you're able to control every property/attribute that they have, and your cutting away the extra 'fat' you would get with an STL object.

could be a valuable learning experience to create your own templates, rather than rely on what is commonly provided for you in any ANSI compliant/standardised compiler/IDE.

but hey, what do I know? :lol:
stl is not standardized by everyone, if it was it would be alot safer/beter to use.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

programmerinprogress wrote:could be a valuable learning experience to create your own templates, rather than rely on what is commonly provided for you in any ANSI compliant/standardised compiler/IDE.
Yeah, I agree. Actually, that's what my CPE212 class made you do, just because it was such a good exercise.

You learn not only templates, but data structures as well. I agree.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Honestly, I dislike using STL for many things...I tend to write my own custom classes for what-ever best suits my program.

Though i guess if you're just all about quickly producing usable code, stl definitely has its place. And I will agree it's good to know what it has to offer.

Honestly, I'm not so sure how a beginner would respond to looking through stl, though using it may be beneficial to help understand the broad picture of programming logic. Example, using stl's queue classes is very simple, but writing your own would require knowledge over templates, pointers, typecasting, etc. Using stl, one may not be able to write his own queue or understand how it actually works, be he would be able to find practical uses for it and understand when he'd want one.

Not sure if it's a fair analogy...Hopefully you get the point.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

I'm a kind of guy: "If somebody already did something, why should I do it again.." And use stl whenever I need to.. And that's pretty much always :P

Making my own low level code takes away from the hi-level dev. The stl code is efficient enough to not make me bother about it.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

[quote="cypher1554R"Making my own low level code takes away from the hi-level dev. The stl code is efficient enough to not make me bother about it.[/quote]Start building your own library of code to include in projects and stuff
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
ultimatedragoon69
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Pangea's quest (text ~tile~ based rpg)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, PC, playstation 1, Virtual Boy, Snes
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by ultimatedragoon69 »

i agree with keeping your own library of code even if there is a copy of almost the same code out there at least your using your code ontop of that i think if you made the code yourself then it would be easier to just grab at any psuedo random time.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Moosader »

I'm not familiar with any standard library things like stacks at all. o_o!
Real men write their own stack classes.