any computer builders out there?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

moose517
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

any computer builders out there?

Post by moose517 »

just wondering if any of you fellow developers also build your own computers or just prefer the store bought crap????

If you want to see the one i'm currently building head over here
http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=627106& ... y=&#630036
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: any computer builders out there?

Post by avansc »

moose517 wrote:just wondering if any of you fellow developers also build your own computers or just prefer the store bought crap????

lolz, like someone is gonna say, yeah i have a dell after you inferd their computer is crap. ;)
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

moose517 wrote:just wondering if any of you fellow developers also build your own computers or just prefer the store bought crap????

im glad someone can afford a 1000+ graphics card. what do you do for a living? may i also ask what OS you will be running.

i saw your pic on that other forum, i personally dont like the windows and the neon lights and all that jazz, but it will probably be a beast.

i resently got a IBM server 1000 bux
8 xeon core 2 2.4 ghz proccessors
32 gigs of rams
duel gigabit eathernet.
2 terrabyte int mirrored raid.

i probably wont be able to play crisis as fast as you tho. but i can run atleast 8 os' simultaneously
moose517
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by moose517 »

avansc wrote:

im glad someone can afford a 1000+ graphics card. what do you do for a living? may i also ask what OS you will be running.

i saw your pic on that other forum, i personally dont like the windows and the neon lights and all that jazz, but it will probably be a beast.

i resently got a IBM server 1000 bux
8 xeon core 2 2.4 ghz proccessors
32 gigs of rams
duel gigabit eathernet.
2 terrabyte int mirrored raid.

i probably wont be able to play crisis as fast as you tho. but i can run atleast 8 os' simultaneously
what do i do for a living, stock grocerys at the local supermarket, they pay me really well thats all i got to say, For the OS i will be running vista ultimate mainly, and have 3 other little hard drives that will contain winxp 64bit, linux when mad at windows, and mac osx, want to get into the iphone devvage someday.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

I built my own computer, but I'm sorry, that just seems like a SUPREME waste of money.

I could never justify buying 3 graphics cards for one computer, ever. Even at 1920x1200 any decent 1gb card (4870 with a gig of memory, for example) is gonna be more than fine. Three of them just ensures you can pump up your AA and AF to ridiculous levels.

Gah I couldn't justify paying that for a pc.
There is no signature.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

I build my own computers, but that's mostly because I'm a cheapass.

I go to Fry's Electronics and buy whatever motherboard / processor combo is on sale. Fry's is famous for having faulty equipment, so it may take a few rounds of exchanges, but I can get a machine up for like 300 bucks. They're by no means gaming machines, but if it runs Visual Studio and connects to the interweb, I'm happy.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
moose517
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by moose517 »

DJ Yoshi wrote:I built my own computer, but I'm sorry, that just seems like a SUPREME waste of money.

I could never justify buying 3 graphics cards for one computer, ever. Even at 1920x1200 any decent 1gb card (4870 with a gig of memory, for example) is gonna be more than fine. Three of them just ensures you can pump up your AA and AF to ridiculous levels.

really the main reason i'm going to be running 3 graphics cards is because i run folding@home on my computer when it sites idle, i do like my AA an AF but folding to help stanford university find cures for cancers seems like its worth the money to me. And on this new computer i will have 2 24" monitors running at 1920x1200 so it would strain one card to much, two helps but three will be plenty to take care of that issue.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

I'll sink about 2 grand into a machine, then use it without any upgrades(except free ones that I get from work) until its not worth fixing anymore, then I'll repeat the process. My desktop is 5 years old, video card fan went a few months, so I got a new card that's twice as good for about $80 bucks when I bought the original card for $300. It's AGP, so no one cares and I get it cheap. :D
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

I actually started back when I was about 12, building PCs , then I moved on to programming.

I have a fairly low power PC, by todays standards.

but I built it my first, and I tend to keep it as up to date as possible.

building a pc is a great experience, finding the parts, hacking it all together, its all good :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

folding@home relies on processing power, not GPU, i don't think the folding program taps into the GPU other than maybe just drawing it.
ps: i have a server that runs 24/7 folding@home, and if anyone can spare processing power please do, its a very good cause. and it does not intrude on your machine when you need to use it.

but back to business. well i guess you live with your folks and have eveything paid for you. if you work for that money you can spend it how ever you like. but let me just forewarn you.. the economy is not doing so well and i would save every penny i could. you dont know what the job market is going to be like when you join the work force. and you might think now that what you get at the supermarket is alot, its not gonna be enough to support you, never mind your gaming/spending habits.

anyways, why are you using that friggen huge case, its hideous.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=609969

this guy is an awesome fabricator. i wish i had his talents/ and more pertinently his tools. ;)
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

moose517 wrote:
DJ Yoshi wrote:I built my own computer, but I'm sorry, that just seems like a SUPREME waste of money.

really the main reason i'm going to be running 3 graphics cards is because i run folding@home on my computer when it sites idle, i do like my AA an AF but folding to help stanford university find cures for cancers seems like its worth the money to me. And on this new computer i will have 2 24" monitors running at 1920x1200 so it would strain one card to much, two helps but three will be plenty to take care of that issue.
Ah, well for future information I think the PS3 still outfolds it :P Not sure on that.

But yeah, understandable then...I guess. Also, curious, does SLI support dual monitors now? I know it definitely did not in the past, but I haven't really checked lately.
avansc wrote:folding@home relies on processing power, not GPU, i don't think the folding program taps into the GPU other than maybe just drawing it.
ps: i have a server that runs 24/7 folding@home, and if anyone can spare processing power please do, its a very good cause. and it does not intrude on your machine when you need to use it.

but back to business. well i guess you live with your folks and have eveything paid for you. if you work for that money you can spend it how ever you like. but let me just forewarn you.. the economy is not doing so well and i would save every penny i could. you dont know what the job market is going to be like when you join the work force. and you might think now that what you get at the supermarket is alot, its not gonna be enough to support you, never mind your gaming/spending habits.

anyways, why are you using that friggen huge case, its hideous.
They've made versions that use GPUs as GPUs are infinitely faster than CPUs but in a different manner. Hell, graphics cards even do sound processing nowadays.

Also, as to the second part of your post, that line of thought is why the economy will take a big hit--spend your money like normal and we won't see that big of a dip. Hoard it all and inhibit the growth of businesses and it'll be like descending into the grand canyon. My 2c
There is no signature.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

i didnt say sell your stocks. yeah def keep them. but spending money unwisely is never a good idea, especially now. (yes you can get things for alot cheaper now)
but you need to save money for "incase"...

mark my words.. if the government does not bail out the automakers we will see a depression worse than the first.

SAVE MONEY!

i recommend putting away 10% of every dollar you earn.
moose517
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by moose517 »

SLI does support dual monitors now, but ingame only if the game supports dual monitors, but i hardly use SLI unless its a really demanding game becuase to fold on the GPU's required SLI to be disabled, i actually think that hthe GPU's fold much faster than the PS3 but i don't the facts on that for sure, and FYI, i do save more than 10% of my money, right now out of my weekly check 12% is for meals at work, maybe 20-30% for whatever and the rest is put away for future use. I have been saving the money for my computer over the past year or so.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

avansc wrote:i didnt say sell your stocks. yeah def keep them. but spending money unwisely is never a good idea, especially now. (yes you can get things for alot cheaper now)
but you need to save money for "incase"...

mark my words.. if the government does not bail out the automakers we will see a depression worse than the first.

SAVE MONEY!

i recommend putting away 10% of every dollar you earn.
lol, the government shouldn't have bailed out the banks...The banks did that so they could make a craploads of more money. They didn't really "need" it. The banks made a crapload of money, but then they started into that whole prime mortgage rate and home equity loan shit...and it all went downhill from there...

In all...I blame Bush...