Why can't I buy and download WotLK online?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Why can't I buy and download WotLK online?

Post by unholysavagery »

Well I can't see why Blizzard would not offer it online, do they make more money for only offering it in the stores? I was going to get it but now since I don't have a car and it's a pain to take the bus to the store, I'm probably just not going to get it and stop playing, I already was only playing like once a week now I see no point in playing it at all.
This is the internet, men are men, women are men and children are the FBI.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re: Why can't I buy and download WotLK online?

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Not that I'm encouraging WoW playing, but honestly, are we living in a society where people complain because they have to exert effort to go to the store?

C'mon now, it's just a little jaunt, a little busride, an hour or two tops, and you're done. If you wanted it badly enough, you'd have gone and gotten it.

That said, blizzard's very much a traditionalist company with traditionalist ideals. I expect it has something to do with that being the way they've always done it--and the way they always will.
There is no signature.
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

DJ Yoshi wrote:Not that I'm encouraging WoW playing, but honestly, are we living in a society where people complain because they have to exert effort to go to the store?

C'mon now, it's just a little jaunt, a little busride, an hour or two tops, and you're done. If you wanted it badly enough, you'd have gone and gotten it.

That said, blizzard's very much a traditionalist company with traditionalist ideals. I expect it has something to do with that being the way they've always done it--and the way they always will.
That's just it, I don't want it badly enough and I would think they would exert the effort to sell there product not me, they are the ones who are making money off of it so why should I have to wast my time?
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

unholysavagery wrote:
DJ Yoshi wrote:Not that I'm encouraging WoW playing, but honestly, are we living in a society where people complain because they have to exert effort to go to the store?

That's just it, I don't want it badly enough and I would think they would exert the effort to sell there product not me, they are the ones who are making money off of it so why should I have to wast my time?
Waste your time?

Realize they have 11 million subscribers. Eleven million people paying 15 bucks a month to play their game. I don't think they're as worried about getting their game sold to one guy who doesn't want to walk to the store as you think.

Also, I think you CAN buy it online. You just can't download it.
There is no signature.
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

You do know I'm not the ONLY person? I'd say at least 5-10% are requesting it and yes there is probably only 2% who are not going to buy it because they can't download it but I really don't see offering a torrent to it and a CD-Key that you can buy online as being something that's hard to do and I'm sure it's worth that 0.2% players, they offer downloads for new patches almost every week so why is this so hard to do?

I know they must be making more money off of it but I can't see how.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Maybe they have contractual obligations to certain stores. Like to sell it in wal-mart it must not be offered online for 6 mo. And wal-mart has that kind of clout...
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

MarauderIIC wrote:Maybe they have contractual obligations to certain stores. Like to sell it in wal-mart it must not be offered online for 6 mo. And wal-mart has that kind of clout...
Actually I found this post by a GM on the matter: "Hi Geur,

Wrath will eventually be available for download online, but this might take some time to establish. A working DVD drive will be the only way to ensure you are ready to play on launch day. Otherwise, when we initiated the online download for Burning Crusade it took 2-3 weeks to get up and running. I'm not saying Wrath will take this long (I have no idea, it may) but don't expect it Day 1."

So my guess is that they do make more money off of the boxed version probably because of taxes or something, and they then offer the download later in order to still satisfy the small amount of users who would otherwise not buy it if they didn't.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

unholysavagery wrote:You do know I'm not the ONLY person? I'd say at least 5-10% are requesting it and yes there is probably only 2% who are not going to buy it because they can't download it but I really don't see offering a torrent to it and a CD-Key that you can buy online as being something that's hard to do and I'm sure it's worth that 0.2% players, they offer downloads for new patches almost every week so why is this so hard to do?

I know they must be making more money off of it but I can't see how.
You just made up those figures...
unholysavagery wrote:
MarauderIIC wrote:Maybe they have contractual obligations to certain stores. Like to sell it in wal-mart it must not be offered online for 6 mo. And wal-mart has that kind of clout...
Actually I found this post by a GM on the matter: "Hi Geur,

Wrath will eventually be available for download online, but this might take some time to establish. A working DVD drive will be the only way to ensure you are ready to play on launch day. Otherwise, when we initiated the online download for Burning Crusade it took 2-3 weeks to get up and running. I'm not saying Wrath will take this long (I have no idea, it may) but don't expect it Day 1."

So my guess is that they do make more money off of the boxed version probably because of taxes or something, and they then offer the download later in order to still satisfy the small amount of users who would otherwise not buy it if they didn't.
They have 11 million + people that play. Do you really think it's because they make more money off the boxed version (which they don't collect taxes on, taxes go to fed and state, how would taxes help them there?) or do you think they just don't feel like trying to maintain a server that gets hit by a few million people at the same time?
There is no signature.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

This actually brings up an interesting topic. Many have predicted that eventually ALL games will be purchased and downloaded via online stores - which kinda bugs me.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always enjoyed going to the store to buy a new game. You have the opportunity to browse, check out different games, and there's always a hope that you'll find that gem of a game that you've never heard of.

Sure, online stores can use methods, such as behavior targeting, to help consumers find what they need/want - but I still prefer having something tangible.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I agree. I like having my nice bookshelves lined with my favorite games on display. I also like going to Gamestop or something and being able to browse for games that strike my interst or chat with employees and see what does and does not suck. The entire "buying a game" experience would be gone if they were all purchased online.
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

trufun202 wrote:This actually brings up an interesting topic. Many have predicted that eventually ALL games will be purchased and downloaded via online stores - which kinda bugs me.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always enjoyed going to the store to buy a new game. You have the opportunity to browse, check out different games, and there's always a hope that you'll find that gem of a game that you've never heard of.

Sure, online stores can use methods, such as behavior targeting, to help consumers find what they need/want - but I still prefer having something tangible.
You can play the demos of games you want to buy on steam. They also have sells where they cut the price of games by 50% for a weekend some times. There are also many games that I've never heard of on steam that I sometimes get because I really like the demo. You can look at reviews, ratings and trailers or if that's not good enough they give you free games. You can see what games your friends are playing games and you can join or chat with them. Steam updates and maintains all of your games so you no longer have to worry about downloading patches.

They are about to add a new feature which lets you put your saved games on the steam server so you don't have to worry about losing your saved games and you can play them anywhere since you can download them anytime any place. - Additional reading: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/38986 ... -in-Stasis

If you still don't like it, well steam offers something for game developers called Steamworks which allows you to use a simple API to add complex features to a game such as voice chat, encryption to protect your software, and many more advanced features. I could see Elysian Shadows using it and then you could sell it on Steam which will open your game up to a much larger market. Also Valve the company behind all of this created such games as: Half Life 2, Counter Strike: Source and Left 4 Dead. - Additional reading: http://kotaku.com/350237/valve-offers-u ... s-for-free

Valve is a major supporter of the IGF (Independent Games Festival) and has hired many of the Independent game developers who have attended the event. Personally I'd have never been so crazy about PC games if it were not for Steam and I think everyone should at least try it. It is also the largest online market for games on the internet with over 15 million gamers and if your interested here is where you can find additional information and download it: http://store.steampowered.com/

If nothing else you should download it for the free games! =D
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Steam's alright--but about 80% of the time, if you're offline, your games won't work. If you're online they STILL might not work for whatever reason sometimes, and if your account ever got banned for any reason your games are all gone. I don't mind digital distribution, but steam isn't perfect, even if it is good.
There is no signature.
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

DJ Yoshi wrote:Steam's alright--but about 80% of the time, if you're offline, your games won't work. If you're online they STILL might not work for whatever reason sometimes, and if your account ever got banned for any reason your games are all gone. I don't mind digital distribution, but steam isn't perfect, even if it is good.
I don't know what your talking about, my games always work off line unless they are an online game. When I am online it sometimes needs to update and has to download the update and install it which normally takes about 30 seconds or so. What you would ever do to get your account banned I have no idea, in fact there is no way to get your account banned since the forums require a different account and I've torrented many steam games with no problem. Also they don't ban your steam account anymore if you cheat, they just ban you from the server you cheated on.