Are you a programmer at heart?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Are you a programmer at heart?

Post by cypher1554R »

If you think so, then try beating this game: http://armorgames.com/play/2205/light-bot

good luck ;)
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Are you a programmer at heart?

Post by avansc »

cypher1554R wrote:If you think so, then try beating this game: http://armorgames.com/play/2205/light-bot

good luck ;)

nice game, but very one dimentional, you have 2 funtions. its pretty limited. but i like the premise alot.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Blocked at work and babbelfish doesn't work. Awesome.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

GyroVorbis wrote:Blocked at work and babbelfish doesn't work. Awesome.
the government controls us...

im sure someone really believe that. but alot of people do that, IBM for one. its just to keep productivity up and keep their noses clean. i dont blame them.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

avansc wrote:
cypher1554R wrote:If you think so, then try beating this game: http://armorgames.com/play/2205/light-bot

good luck ;)

nice game, but very one dimentional, you have 2 funtions. its pretty limited. but i like the premise alot.
Really one dimensional? You can make a f1 and then use it as a part of f2 and combine both in main, or any way around. I think this is at least 2 dimensional..
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

cypher1554R wrote:
avansc wrote:

good luck ;)

Really one dimensional? You can make a f1 and then use it as a part of f2 and combine both in main, or any way around. I think this is at least 2 dimensional..
well saying its 1dimentianal really is a misnomer because nothing can be one dimentional, one dimentional is really just a mathmatical abstraction. i just meant that i wouldent measures a programmers ability by it.

its cure and fun, but its an abstraction of other games that have similar game dynamics, its a one player version of a turned based game. if you ever played fallout 1 or 2, or more importantly UFO (considered the best game ever) you would find this game fairly easy.
Amarant
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Amarant »

I thought it was a pretty cool game. It even supports recursive functions 8-).
Didn't use recursion to complete a level though.
Slacker
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Slacker »

Simple maybe, but still a time killer... and entertaining!
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Amarant wrote:I thought it was a pretty cool game. It even supports recursive functions 8-).
i dont thing it supports recursion, recursive functions can stop.
if you did something recursive in that it be an infinite loop. (i think, i didnt look at it indepth)
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Damn, that's a really cool concept. I like it.

I see what avansc means by 1 dimensional - meaning that basically it's a single line of execution. Adding conditional logic could make the game much more indepth.

Taking it one step further would be designing the AI for the little robot, then drop him in the environment, let him react to his surroundings, and find the exit.

Neato.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Amarant
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Amarant »

avansc wrote:
Amarant wrote:I thought it was a pretty cool game. It even supports recursive functions 8-).
i dont thing it supports recursion, recursive functions can stop.
if you did something recursive in that it be an infinite loop. (i think, i didnt look at it indepth)
Hmm, you're right, the poor little guy just keeps walking into the wall, or whatever else I told him to do, even though all lights are turned on.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Yeah level's not evaluated until program stops. Beat this game (a while ago) but had some trouble with it because I couldn't do what I wanted to do --forces you to solve problems inefficiently.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

MarauderIIC wrote:Yeah level's not evaluated until program stops. Beat this game (a while ago) but had some trouble with it because I couldn't do what I wanted to do --forces you to solve problems inefficiently.
Well, my god, Mar (and everybody else that isn't satisfied with possibilities).. It's made so that wider selection of audience is able to solve it.. :)

Plus, as a flexible programmer (in a challenge), you have be able to adapt your thinking to what you're given, and not what should be there.

Example:
It's the same as if you say you can drive car, and you drive a Batmobile, but as soon as someone gives you a Half Life 2 buggy, you're clueless just because there isn't a "make a giant oversized rocket engine appear on your ass" button. And a television you can jack into by simply gluing a little spinning toy under the car.. :lol:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

More like they say "here this is a car" (this is programming!) but it doesn't have a gas pedal (can't recurse or use variables). :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

MarauderIIC wrote:More like they say "here this is a car" (this is programming!) but it doesn't have a gas pedal (can't recurse or use variables). :)
No that's not it. You've gone other way too much. It's more like something between what you said and I said.

Something like: "here this is a car" (this is programming!) but it doesn't have a steering wheel (can't recurse or use variables).

But as I said, as long as it can be done, it's all about flexibility.