OpenGL binary files for Visual C++

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Fear
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

OpenGL binary files for Visual C++

Post by Fear »

Hi guys, I would like to know where I can download the OpenGL binary files and includes for Visual C++ 2008 or 2005. Please post the link here.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: OpenGL binary files for Visual C++

Post by avansc »

Fear wrote:Hi guys, I would like to know where I can download the OpenGL binary files and includes for Visual C++ 2008 or 2005. Please post the link here.
meaning? like the lib and dll files? you still need the source files to compile program using openGL.

http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

If you'd like the latest OpenGL libraries for vs2008 (includes, libs, dlls), then download the DirectX SDK November 2008, it comes with opengl stuff as well by default. Here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

Its a big download though, so watch out. Remember to configure your project options in VS to include the necessary paths.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

They're a real pain to find, I remember... Can't tell you off the top of my head where to get binaries though...
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by M_D_K »

Here at the bottom but the stuff is like 3 years out of date :/
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
Fear
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Fear »

sparda wrote:If you'd like the latest OpenGL libraries for vs2008 (includes, libs, dlls), then download the DirectX SDK November 2008, it comes with opengl stuff as well by default. Here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

Its a big download though, so watch out. Remember to configure your project options in VS to include the necessary paths.
I already have installed DirectX SDK November 2008 and configured the project but there isn't any OpenGL files here. In whitch folder you found those files? :|
Fear
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Fear »

M_D_K wrote:Here at the bottom but the stuff is like 3 years out of date :/
I will try it out. Thanks
Fear
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Fear »

avansc wrote:
Fear wrote:Hi guys, I would like to know where I can download the OpenGL binary files and includes for Visual C++ 2008 or 2005. Please post the link here.
meaning? like the lib and dll files? you still need the source files to compile program using openGL.

http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html
I am downloading it now. Thanks
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

Fear, its all in there (Direct X), as I said. You need to include the path so that VS 2008 can see the include files, and the lib files!

Do this: Open up VS 2008, then go to:

tools->options

Then scroll down to "projects and solutions" and click on " VC++ Directories."

You should see a "new folder" icon to your right, click it once then find the path where you installed the direct sdk by clicking "browse", then inside select first the "Include" folder.

Next, click on the "new folder" icon again, and then "browse." Find the "Lib" folder within the November 2008 DirectX sdk installation folder, and select the "Lib" folder.

Thats it, you're set after that. Start a new empty project, and make sure you include <windows.h> BEFORE ANYTHING. You includes should be like this:

Code: Select all

#include <windows.h>
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN  // This is optional, but I like it as it leaves out a lot of win32's bloat.
#include <gl/gl.h>
#include <gl/glu.h>

DON'T FORGET TO LINK WITH THE PROPER LIBRARIES!!! I can only think of these off the top of my mind, but google the rest:

opengl32.lib glu32.lib glaux.lib gL.h glaux.h glu.h glu32.dll opengl32.dll

The way the you link them is by going to (in visual studio 2008): WITH AN ACTIVE OPENGL PROJECT, go to: Project-> properties, then click on the linker options. Then click on "input", and where it says: "Additional Dependencies" paste all of the libraries that I posted above.

Now you are ready to build you're opengl32 applications! Thank me later 8-)
Fear
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Fear »

sparda wrote:Fear, its all in there (Direct X), as I said. You need to include the path so that VS 2008 can see the include files, and the lib files!

Do this: Open up VS 2008, then go to:

tools->options

Then scroll down to "projects and solutions" and click on " VC++ Directories."

You should see a "new folder" icon to your right, click it once then find the path where you installed the direct sdk by clicking "browse", then inside select first the "Include" folder.

Next, click on the "new folder" icon again, and then "browse." Find the "Lib" folder within the November 2008 DirectX sdk installation folder, and select the "Lib" folder.

Thats it, you're set after that. Start a new empty project, and make sure you include <windows.h> BEFORE ANYTHING. You includes should be like this:

Code: Select all

#include <windows.h>
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN  // This is optional, but I like it as it leaves out a lot of win32's bloat.
#include <gl/gl.h>
#include <gl/glu.h>

DON'T FORGET TO LINK WITH THE PROPER LIBRARIES!!! I can only think of these off the top of my mind, but google the rest:

opengl32.lib glu32.lib glaux.lib gL.h glaux.h glu.h glu32.dll opengl32.dll

The way the you link them is by going to (in visual studio 2008): WITH AN ACTIVE OPENGL PROJECT, go to: Project-> properties, then click on the linker options. Then click on "input", and where it says: "Additional Dependencies" paste all of the libraries that I posted above.

Now you are ready to build you're opengl32 applications! Thank me later 8-)
I will try it out and than I thank you :lol: