Project broken beyond repair

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

bugmenot
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: Project broken beyond repair

Post by bugmenot »

You also have memory leaks:

Code: Select all

#ifndef IMAGE_H_INCLUDED
#define IMAGE_H_INCLUDED

#include <string>
#include "SDL/SDL.h"

class Image{
    private:
        SDL_Surface *image;
    public:
        int Load( std::string filename );
        SDL_Surface *GetSurface() { return image; }
};

#endif // IMAGE_H_INCLUDED
How does the SDL_Surface that image points to ever get freed?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

bugmenot wrote:From a very quick glance:

Level *test;
    test->Load( mapname, tilesheet );
    test->Draw();
Doesn't need to be a pointer
Fixed, I'm not sure why I had that as a pointer? My bad.
bugmenot wrote: Always pass objects as references and const whenever possible unless there is a design reason not to. It is cheaper and faster to pass by reference then by value for non-basic datatypes and the use of const is so you don't accidently overwrite the data:

int Level::Load( const std::string & file_map, const std::string & file_tilesheet )
Never thought of passing as a const, and as far as reference now I see what it's used for :)
bugmenot wrote:

file_tilesheet = "images\\" + file_tilesheet;
    tileSheet->Load( file_tilesheet, TILE_WIDTH, TILE_HEIGHT, TILE_SPRITES );
tileSheet (which is currently a pointer) is not initialised or pointing to a valid memory address. Again it has no reason to be a pointer.
That's one ugly piece of code.. So you're saying I should pass by reference rather than passing a pointer to an object where it's possible?
bugmenot wrote:You also have memory leaks:

How does the SDL_Surface that image points to ever get freed?

Level::~Level()
{
    SDL_FreeSurface( tileSheet.GetSurface() );
}
Doesn't that free it?

Thanks so much for your constructive criticism, I'll do my best to fix the problems you've presented to me, at which point if I still cannot debug the application myself I will post again ;)

EDIT: The project works again :mrgreen: Since tilesheet is passed to so many times before it ever reaches render it's now a non-pointer. When it gets to render I just create a temporary pointer to use for blitting:

SDL_Surface *tileSheetSurface = tileSheet.GetSurface() //Returns pointer to the tileSheet surface;
Last edited by dandymcgee on Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
bugmenot
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by bugmenot »

Yeah, it does free it. However, since Image class allocates the memory for the SDL_Surface in the first place and takes ownership of the pointer to it, it should also be responsible to free it as well.

tileSheet is a member variable of Level which is never initialised and therefore pointing to garbarge.Most of your problems are caused by dereferencing invalid pointers. What I am saying is that don't us pointers unless you are sharing or don't 'own' an object. In this case, tileSheet is owned by Level and is currently not a shared resource so it shouldn't be a pointer or a reference.

Your Level header should look something like:

#ifndef LEVEL_H_INCLUDED
#define LEVEL_H_INCLUDED

#include <vector>
#include <string>
#include "Tile.h"
#include "Image.h"

/*class Level {
public:
int layer1[200][200];
int layer2[200][200];
void Draw();
void Load();
void Clear();
void Update();
};
*/

//class Tile;

class Level{
    private:
        int levelWidth;
        int levelHeight;
        int tileWidth;
        int tileHeight;
        Tilesheet tileSheet;
        //int mapData[20][15];
        std::vector<Tile*> mapData;
        //Tile *mapData[300];
    public:
        //Level();
        ~Level();
        int Load( const std::string & file_map, const std::string & file_tilesheet );
        int Draw();
};
It is worth reading Thinking in C++ Vol 1 which is a free eBook for more about areas like this.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

bugmenot wrote:Yeah, it does free it. However, since Image class allocates the memory for the SDL_Surface in the first place and takes ownership of the pointer to it, it should also be responsible to free it as well.
That's what I figured you had meant, it shouldn't hurt to leave it both places, correct? Or should it only be in Image?
bugmenot wrote:

tileSheet is a member variable of Level which is never initialised and therefore pointing to garbarge.Most of your problems are caused by dereferencing invalid pointers. What I am saying is that don't us pointers unless you are sharing or don't 'own' an object. In this case, tileSheet is owned by Level and is currently not a shared resource so it shouldn't be a pointer or a reference.

Your Level header should look something like:

#ifndef LEVEL_H_INCLUDED
My header looks exactly like that right now. (see comment below)
dandymcgee wrote: EDIT: The project works again :mrgreen: Since tilesheet is passed to so many times before it ever reaches render it's now a non-pointer. When it gets to render I just create a temporary pointer to use for blitting:

SDL_Surface *tileSheetSurface = tileSheet.GetSurface() //Returns pointer to the tileSheet surface;
We posted about the same time, I had just added this to my previous post. I had changed tileSheet so that it was no longer a pointer except where it had to be (in the render function).

Thanks again, I'll check that book out.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
bugmenot
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by bugmenot »

That's what I figured you had meant, it shouldn't hurt to leave it both places, correct? Or should it only be in Image?
Should only be in Image.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

bugmenot wrote:
Should only be in Image.
Okay. 8-)