Intellectual Stimulation

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

LuciDreamTheater
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Intellectual Stimulation

Post by LuciDreamTheater »

I often seek to challenge my perspective. I don't even think it's the challenge that I enjoy, despite being reminded by the old adage, "the journey is most important." I like the end result, and to put it plainly, I just want to know more. I'm also not referring to being creatively intelligent, although the appeal of discovering a mythical, "original idea," is strong. Being excessively intelligent, within the top tiers of the population, is too large a goal. What I want is to be able to understand higher level mathematics as well as physics and computer science. If I happen to grow from there by becoming someone great, then fine, it's what everyone else wants too.

To achieve my goal of mathematical competence and to become a computer science wizzard, however, I will have to draw on ingenuity. What some call intelligence, being capable of complex thought, without strain, is what I deem necessary to develop such abilities. To do this, I try to read books, make games, and browse the internet, but I suspect that there are more effective methods of receiving intellectual stimulation, even if their improvement is due to variety. It seems plausible that my goals can be attained, given the right set of circumstances.

Thus, I pose a question: How do you increase your cognitive dexterity?
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Intellectual Stimulation

Post by MarauderIIC »

Sudoku. Crosswords (I suck at these). Programming.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

for some reason sudoku puts me to sleep within like 10 minutes.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I can't think of any other than Programming and perhaps the occasional solving of Rubik's Cube.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Think of a large number and figure out how to get that sum using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division 5 different ways.
There's no place like ~/
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Don't waste your time with Sudoku and "summing large numbers." Programming at least gives you something to show for. Any ape can do simple math. Besides, computers will always be better at this than you. Work your mind on things they can't do well.... yet.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Get a DS.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

Program for the Cell... ahh, there is something new
There's no place like ~/
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I also have an insatiable lust for knowledge (and women, money, and power). I find that I learn new mathematical concepts (linear algebra, physics, calculus, differential equations) when I have to implement them into some sort of programming application.

For example, OpenGL helped me learn about matrix translations/transformations from linear algebra, working on physics systems helped me to understand physics (and the more bitchy calculus behind said physics).

I also don't just want to be mathematically smart. I enjoy learning more about other fields of science (astronomy, health, and biology are a few of my favorites). Before I wanted to become a computer engineer, I wanted to be an astrophysicist/astronomer of sort, so I still have that fascination left over.

I'm also fascinated with human psychology and philosophy. I like reading books about various psychological disorders and their diagnoses (but I'm also weird). I also learn to better understand myself that way. It helps with women too...

My hardest part is balancing my lazy as hell side with my earnest lust for knowledge. I have to struggle to find the motivation to step up and become more knowledgeable/intelligent sometimes.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

GyroVorbis wrote:I also have an insatiable lust for knowledge (and women, money, and power). I find that I learn new mathematical concepts (linear algebra, physics, calculus, differential equations) when I have to implement them into some sort of programming application.

For example, OpenGL helped me learn about matrix translations/transformations from linear algebra, working on physics systems helped me to understand physics (and the more bitchy calculus behind said physics).

I also don't just want to be mathematically smart. I enjoy learning more about other fields of science (astronomy, health, and biology are a few of my favorites). Before I wanted to become a computer engineer, I wanted to be an astrophysicist/astronomer of sort, so I still have that fascination left over.

I'm also fascinated with human psychology and philosophy. I like reading books about various psychological disorders and their diagnoses (but I'm also weird). I also learn to better understand myself that way. It helps with women too...

My hardest part is balancing my lazy as hell side with my earnest lust for knowledge. I have to struggle to find the motivation to step up and become more knowledgeable/intelligent sometimes.
I don't I just read books, that's lazy enough for me, and I'm suuuuuper lazy!... I as well have other topics of favor, like mythology, and anything dealing with the brain, and the human subconcious... and I like .hack :lol:
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

Get Buzz lol
There's no place like ~/
LuciDreamTheater
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by LuciDreamTheater »

GyroVorbis wrote:I also have an insatiable lust for knowledge (and women, money, and power). I find that I learn new mathematical concepts (linear algebra, physics, calculus, differential equations) when I have to implement them into some sort of programming application.

That is what I'm looking for. It's almost intuitive, and I've heard how important it is to venture beyond one's comfort zone, intellectually. Yet I needed the reminder.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Knowledge is power and power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

In terms of programming, I avoid coding the same thing twice. (except for Bop N' Pop...) I'm fortunate that, at my job, every project is different and I'm always having to think in different ways and apply new technologies. I'd be bored to tears if I built the same type of apps over and over again. (like 90% of the programmers at my job)

For me, there's nothing better than being faced with a problem, solving it on the whiteboard, and coding it to completion. That's one hell of a programmer's high, imo.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Agreed.