I am now a Dreamcast owner!!!

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: I am now a Dreamcast owner!!!

Post by Trask »

Action, adventure, survival horror, fighting games, that kind of game. I enjoy the occasional rpg as well as long as it offers something more than the average storyline.

Phantasy Star, what is that game about/what kind of game is it? I hear you mention it from time to time.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Isn't there some difference between which ones can play burned CDs and which ones can't? Which is which, again?

Phantasy Star is some sort of multiplayer rpg thing, IIRC.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

WK on the bottom can play CD-Rs.

I would also recommend Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica. If it's on Dreamcast, it's the best version. They had upped the poly count a shitload in models for RE2 DC. People actually bitched that the poly count was too much higher so they dropped it a bit lower for the GC version. I perfers my poly counts high, kthx.

Code Veronica is great. Due to the shitty texturing of PS2, and lack of experience of the PS2 developers around the DC's time period, it looks like ass on PS2. Play on Dreamcast. Actually every Dreamcast game that is also on PS2 looks better on Dreamcast.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Trask »

I\'m a huge RE fan and I have all that you mentioned on the PS/PS2, but if the graphics are better I\'ll sure as shit try them out on the Dreamcast.

From my understanding, if your Dreamcast was made before October of 2000, it\'ll play backups. I got to test mine out to make sure it works and it was made in 1999, had no problem playing MK Gold via CD-R.

So I guess that\'ll make it easier to develop for the DC if I dare to try it, I\'ll have to see what works for me.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Due to the shitty texturing of PS2, and lack of experience of the PS2 developers around the DC's time period, it looks like ass on PS2.
Yup.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Trask »

Sorry to resurrect a post, but this didn't seem new topic worthy...

So I went to a friend house yesterday to show off my Dreamcast. Of course I told her about its awesomeness, but she didn't seem to understand just how it could of competed with the PS2. So then I showed her a bit and she was amazed. Then I realized that I had a problem... I have like 2 multiplayer games for the damn thing which includes Sonic Adventure(so yeah, that shitty though neat concept of taking over Tails) and MK Gold. So I come to the masters to ask for recommendation for sweet ass multiplayer games so that I may return with more awesomeness to my friend's house.

I found this link: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/dre ... games.html but still, I want to hear what you all have to say. Any genre, and yes, include co-op(in fact, it may be preferred with her at least). Thanks!
bulls.bears2011
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by bulls.bears2011 »

Although a rip off of Mario Party, Sonic Shuffle is pretty fun actually
deryni21
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by deryni21 »

I have a posibility of getting a retro system. I am wondering if i should get a dreamcast with all the hookups and no games for 35 dollars or get me a duo system of nes and snes for the same price. I am kind of leaning towards the duo system because i found around 15 nes and around 7 snes games when i looked around so any suggestions?
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Well if you don't have a DC you can't play ES on DC.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
deryni21
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by deryni21 »

MarauderIIC wrote:Well if you don't have a DC you can't play ES on DC.
lol i'm assuming that meant
DC = dreamcast
ES = elysianshadows
So im guessing that meant get a dreamcast?
bulls.bears2011
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

I don't really like those duo systems that much anyways. Even when playin NES, you still have to use a super nintendo controller, which I don't like, because I prefer to actually play with an NES controller, it just feels right. So I would go with a dreamcast, plus, you can burn games for free!
deryni21
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by deryni21 »

bulls.bears2011 wrote:I don't really like those duo systems that much anyways. Even when playin NES, you still have to use a super nintendo controller, which I don't like, because I prefer to actually play with an NES controller, it just feels right. So I would go with a dreamcast, plus, you can burn games for free!
The duo system i am looking out is compaitable with original 8-bit controllers
bulls.bears2011
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

so it has both nes and snes controller ports? You might wanna check that again