Nestix: Graphics

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

JS Lemming wrote:When you talk of flexibility, do you mean having to add a sprite into a sheet as being difficult or adding in a sprite during program run? I don't see how you could possibly think a million seperate images is better then WELL ORGANIZED sheets....

Also, we would only need 1 splicing function!
Add a sprite into a sheet later, if you change your mind about something, is what I'm talking about.

Million separate images easier to modify, I think.
Directory structure sorts, so stuff is still easy to find.

For example,

/player/animations/walking/frame1.png
/player/animations/running/frame1.png
/player/animations/shooting/frame1.png

Of course only one splicing function :) Only one loading function as well.
Splicing, though, wouldn't you have to designate how you want it to cut?
I can see now where a sprite sheet would save space, particularly in instances like this:

Code: Select all

ASCII art :P
   _______
  |______ \
   _____ \ \
  /     \ \ \
 /       \ \_\
/_________\
Perhaps, since my only worry is ease of modification, we could start with multiple images and a temp. directory structure, and then compile things into sprite sheets later to save hd. space etc -- after everything is finalized? Both use a loading function, so we'd just have to add a splicing function -- wouldn't require too much final programming, IMO. And should require no previous-code modification, I don't think.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Here, I just finished the Mario SHEET. Of course, this is only taking in consideration that we are remaking the first level, the underground, level, the castle level, and or the strange tree platformy level. What ever we decide, I might have to go back and add\delete some tiles (say we had a different level in mind that wasn't ripped).

Heh, take a look at the cloud and bush tiles. I think a certain artist was getting kinda lazy :mrgreen: .

Yes it IS a sheet. And if any of you disaprove of using a sheet then go ahead and make a brand new level editor. Like I said before, the editor is almost done. I don't really want to go back and make it attempt to load in seperate tiles!

EDIT -
Whoops, ignore my harsh comments about the sheets (Mar must have posted a millisecond before me, and i agree with his post). See.... I thought we were talking mostly about tile sheets. I hadn't set my mind to sprite sprite sheets. so yeah mar thats a good idear. :mrgreen:
Last edited by JS Lemming on Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

Oh well i missed all of this , but lemming can tell me ,

BTW wheres slan??
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Slan, if you quit then just say so... :?
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

It's so easy to just never go back to a certain place on the net... because you think its so huge that no one will notice. Not that I've ever done such a thing! :mrgreen:

But yeah slan, at least tell us when you go for good.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

I will give him a pm on the forums he always go to.
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

I got word from slan and here is his lame excuse
Slan45 wrote:Hey dude...no i'm not quitting nestix. I'd actually prefer to contact people via AIM. my screen name is slan45.

I've been EXTEMELY busy this past week and a half. I had lots of time to mess around when we first started chatting because I had two 4-day weekends in a row.

Also...while I can easily fill in floor designs and make banners for you guys, I think I'm not capable of creating a brand new character for you from scratch. I messed around with it for a little bit, and I just dont have that kind of time. That project could take 10+hrs, which I'm not willing to commit.

Reason I havent been to the forums=its a general forum. My aspect of this project seems very 'specialized' and while i'll post any work I do for you guys there...I dont just wanna check it regularly...again, a time thing. (I'm taking organic chem this quarter...lots and lots of studying/reading.

Summary: I'm still all for this project, I like what you guys are doing, and think its really cool. I can do any designs/effects/animations you guys want...but the new character from scratch...you need an artist, not a gfx designer (which is what I consider myself).

Cool?
WTF??
Anyways i think i have an artist for you , a drawer, he is pretty good , i see what i can do.
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph
COAL
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Adventures in Game Development
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, SNES, NES, Game Boy
Programming Language of Choice: C tic tac toe

Post by COAL »

Heh heh, oh..
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sup whigg. You think you can show us some prototypes of a main character? Not necessarily in sprite form. Just a rough outline...

If you're up to it.
Faanedes6

Post by Faanedes6 »