Moon Lander

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

systat
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Moon Lander

Post by systat »

Hey there, I have been working on a moon lander game for a month now, here is the result so far.
Best thing it is going to have online high scores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlqJL1d8CUo

Tell me how you like it, and how I can improve it :p
Forgot to say, so game has N number of levels, each level terrain is generated randomly, and position of upgrades, and landing platform is random also.
Gravity is higher every level, and terrain gets more difficult.
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: Moon Lander

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

looks good but programming the controls must have sucked. why do you have to blow up the ground?
systat
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by systat »

It is just for, uhhmm how to say, failsafe, sometimes(1-4 times in 40 rounds) platform spawns too low, almost under the terrain, so, you will use bomb when that happens :) I know it's stupid but, I couldn't make to spawn platform every time perfectly, because it's so dynamic, random...

Why do you think that programming controls must sucked?
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

cuz it looks like theyre really touch sensative... not just your basic press a key and move. but otherwise, blowing up the ground isnt really stupid, just something different. maybe you can turn it into something or apply that conept to another game somehow. lookin good.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Not sure why the menu kept blinking in the middle of the levels, but that's really cool! ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
systat
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by systat »

Hi guys, I made a playable version of the game, some in game text is a little bit change, but that is because I hosted it on server that has different OS than I had while programming game.
Game has this features.

-Random terrain every level, gradually with each level terrain changes it colors, and it becomes more "bumpier", terrain is also destructible
-Gravity is higher every level, so it gets harder to control your lander
-Online ranking is working, but there is minor bug, you can't view yourself on list, until you reset game I still don't have idea how to fix it or where is error.
You can maximally type 8 characters as your name, with backspace you delete all characters, press SPACE to upload your data to high score list.
-You have 2 bombs at beggining, so you need to pick them up, because often engine, and fuel packs, will be underground xD.
-In this build I made 300l of fuel as default, I find it somewhat harder to play with that little fuel, so I might changed it if I continue working on a game.

You can play it here http://bayner.com/webstart/game.jnlp press save as, if you want to launch game from your desktop instead of going every time on that website to play it.
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

It has lots of potential but the bugs make it completely unplayable.

1. When I start, loads of asteroids usually kill me before I have time to do anything

2. In some levels you do not have enough fuel to even slow down at all

3. The health and fuel top-ups spawn inside the ground alot of the time
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
systat
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by systat »

RyanPridgeon wrote:It has lots of potential but the bugs make it completely unplayable.

1. When I start, loads of asteroids usually kill me before I have time to do anything

2. In some levels you do not have enough fuel to even slow down at all

3. The health and fuel top-ups spawn inside the ground alot of the time

1. When you start asteroids doesn't kill you, if you collide with them they will just dissapear, you probably get killed because on every level you are set on some random position, with -x or x velocity, so if you don't react fast you will get outside game screen so you will get killed somehow xD.
It can be fixed in 5 minutes, I just didn't know it will be such a problem.

2. I seen that on my own, it was very hard to play when you start with 300l of fuel, I will probably change the default value of fuel to 500l, that would be enough for the start.

3. You need to pick up bombs, and launch them on terrain, so when you destroy terrain you can access them.

Thanks for pointing that out ;)
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

systat wrote:DELETE ME
That little X next to the edit button is the delete button.

..unless you were referring to your account rather than your post. :lol:
systat
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by systat »

aamesxdavid wrote:
systat wrote:DELETE ME
That little X next to the edit button is the delete button.

..unless you were referring to your account rather than your post. :lol:
Yes, I was referring to post, well I still don't see an X, there is EDIT, warning sign, to report post, and QUOTE

lol, I actually see X on this post, but not on previous though.