Haha teacher gets OWNED

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Haha teacher gets OWNED

Post by eatcomics »

Spikey wrote:I can remember doing something like that back in grade school, trying to teach the teacher. Now that I'm in college, I'm more introverted and humble, because I know no matter how better I get, there will always be other's 10000x better than me, and I'll admit I'll never know 100% what I'm talking about. I see this more often than enough in my classes; students act like they invented the technology. I guess it's just ambition, it's fun learning something you enjoy, and like to share that knowledge to others. But I also don't want to be known as a smart ass who can't shut up >_< too many in my classes like that already.

I would say learning about databases with excel would be a much better place to start. One of those things everyone should just know.
I gots out of a taking a test cause I'm a good quite boy, I got an automatic A!
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

ibly31 wrote:Edit: she did use the word database, so what i was trying to show her is that mysql is a database and hiw excell isnt goid for thwt purpose because its just a spreadsheet editor.
Excel is capable of importing databases and organizing them into an easy to read spread sheet. Actually, that's the whole point of Excel.

Not everyone knows the same thing. Great for you that you've learned things outside of your school's curriculum, but what your teacher is saying can be completely new for others. You were being an elitist jerk and no one likes those, especially in the programming field.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Bakkon wrote:
ibly31 wrote:Edit: she did use the word database, so what i was trying to show her is that mysql is a database and hiw excell isnt goid for thwt purpose because its just a spreadsheet editor.
Excel is capable of importing databases and organizing them into an easy to read spread sheet. Actually, that's the whole point of Excel.

Not everyone knows the same thing. Great for you that you've learned things outside of your school's curriculum, but what your teacher is saying can be completely new for others. You were being an elitist jerk and no one likes those, especially in the programming field.
Hey bakkon I'm justa gonna welcome you right here... Hi, welcome to the chaos rift... don't steal the towels...
noob
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by noob »

Should be an easy A for you. Probably wont be the last intro class you are gonna have to take.

Some day you will most likely take programming classes (in high school or to get a degree), and you will probably find the introduction to be boring too.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

sure you werent shone access?
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Kros »

avansc wrote:sure you werent shone access?
I saw excel being taught in a lot of low-level introductory computer classes at my old middle school; I wouldn't be shocked if it was indeed excel.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

well it's a great little tool for adding up your sums and creating graphics (and you could use it as a flat file i.e. non-relational database)

Back in my school days (so 2 years ago I guess) we used to use spreadsheets and databases all the time, from the first year of secondary school (which is probably why I feel like crying when someone presents me with a task in excel or access)

Sure, excel isn't really intended for databases, but there's no point moaning on about it at such a low level class, sure it's not entirely correct, but hey, excel spreadsheets store data, so they can be used as a database.

I mean, you could be really far out and suggest that Access isn't just a database, it's a 4GL (fourth generation language) because it generates all of the SQL for you!, the point i'm trying to make is that these definitions are open to interpretation (and should be as people use applications for different purposes, thus the term General Purpose/Generic) so no need to argue with any educational staff about the accuracy of their introductory ICT lessons ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

i'll say that most people who think excel is a simple program dont know but like 2 percent of it.
i certainly dont know 20 percent of it. and it does more than i could ever need. you can get through any college math class with excel apart from a few specialized ones. but for the most part it does it.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

avansc wrote:you can get through any college math class with excel apart from a few specialized ones.
By a few specialized ones, do you mean everything beyond classes that only require calculation?
Most college math classes beyond Calculus classes mostly deal with higher-level concepts, and the work involved in those classes is mostly proofs.

I do agree that Excel is a powerful program. I barely know a tiny subset of it's capabilities.
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
fingerfry
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, PC, Gameboy Advance SP

Post by fingerfry »

eatcomics wrote:
Spikey wrote:I can remember doing something like that back in grade school, trying to teach the teacher. Now that I'm in college, I'm more introverted and humble, because I know no matter how better I get, there will always be other's 10000x better than me, and I'll admit I'll never know 100% what I'm talking about. I see this more often than enough in my classes; students act like they invented the technology. I guess it's just ambition, it's fun learning something you enjoy, and like to share that knowledge to others. But I also don't want to be known as a smart ass who can't shut up >_< too many in my classes like that already.

I would say learning about databases with excel would be a much better place to start. One of those things everyone should just know.
I gots out of a taking a test cause I'm a good quite boy, I got an automatic A!
Spikey, I totally feel the same way.

eatcomics, The same stuff happens to me all the time. My Spanish II teacher gave me $20 for looking up an article online. :mrgreen:
You would be surprised at what you can get away with by simply being a good student. I could commit murder(metaphorically speaking) in some of my classes, and my teachers would tell me it was for the betterment of mankind or something :lol: