How much could I expect to make with a 4-6 year comp science

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Re: How much could I expect to make with a 4-6 year comp science

Post by programmerinprogress »

gordon wrote:
programmerinprogress wrote: Oh! and if you live in Scotland, university is free! (actually loads of stuff is free in Scotland, funded by the UK government) But I don't live in Scotland.
I do :)

I'm fairly sure of that fact, but just to make sure, is it? (from what people have told me and where i've read it seems plausible)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
gordon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by gordon »

programmerinprogress wrote:
gordon wrote:
programmerinprogress wrote: Oh! and if you live in Scotland, university is free! (actually loads of stuff is free in Scotland, funded by the UK government) But I don't live in Scotland.
I do :)

I'm fairly sure of that fact, but just to make sure, is it? (from what people have told me and where i've read it seems plausible)
Yes the government pay university tuition fees for universities in Scotland. Which means that you only really have living costs to worry about.
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Maevik »

Yeah, I went to Hogwarts in northern Scotland, it was totally free :P

srsly though, mooch if at all possible. I thought I was so cool getting my own place at 18, but it just made me spend all my time working, so school fell behind and now I'm 26 and still not done with college.
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3

Post by Kros »

Ew. Texas.

$50k-65k sounds spot on, maybe a bit less depending on what you're doing.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Maevik wrote:
srsly though, mooch if at all possible. I thought I was so cool getting my own place at 18, but it just made me spend all my time working, so school fell behind and now I'm 26 and still not done with college.
That's why we get a lot more support in the UK, I think the idea is that we get part time jobs (they even have vacancies for uni staff in most places) but nearly everyone gets some grant, and everyone can get some loans that are a lot easier to pay back than some of the stuff you hear about in the US, i'm living on campus the first year, and that seems ok because we do get financial support in the uk.
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
gordon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by gordon »

programmerinprogress wrote: That's why we get a lot more support in the UK, I think the idea is that we get part time jobs (they even have vacancies for uni staff in most places) but nearly everyone gets some grant, and everyone can get some loans that are a lot easier to pay back than some of the stuff you hear about in the US, i'm living on campus the first year, and that seems ok because we do get financial support in the uk.
Yeah, it even used to be that if you lived near a university you could take out a student loan(with a low interest rate) live at home and then shove the loan in a high interest bank account and make a profit. Interest rates are much lower now though so that won't work at the moment.
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64

Post by rolland »

gordon wrote: Yeah, it even used to be that if you lived near a university you could take out a student loan(with a low interest rate) live at home and then shove the loan in a high interest bank account and make a profit. Interest rates are much lower now though so that won't work at the moment.
Um, that doesn't sound like something you post on the internet... More like a shh
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/

Post by Maevik »

I had a friend (actually a friend of my wife) who put a down payment on a house right out of college from doing that very thing. He took out the loans, then worked his way through college on his own. He made something like 30k O_o
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

I pay about 1400€ per year at the RWTH Aachen, Germany.

Just come to us ;)