Where should an 11-12 year old Start?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gridbug
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-C, C++

Re: Where should an 11-12 year old Start?

Post by Innerscope »

The only thing he's forgetting is that quotes go around text that you literally want in the variable/outputted to the screen. But when the compiler catches it, he instantly knows what to do... So he's doing well, his mind will probably explode when we get to pointers and references though xD
Or complex data structures for that matter...
But hey, whatever works for you. I'm just here to give you sound advice, take it or leave it. Good luck!
Current Project: Gridbug
Website (under construction) : http://www.timcool.me
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

hehe, you should know, its a working progress... You don't learn everything off day one =p... and I've explained what I'm gonna do, it incorporates your advice ;)
Brock7
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC , XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Brock7 »

I think you should start him off by doing something simple such as programming a new OS or something..then move on to harder things like Visual Basic.
I'm an amazing programmer... my compilers just an asshole.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef

Post by Netwatcher »

I see you are sure of what u want to do with him now,
So just sign him to a dev forum and good luck ;)
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Brock7 wrote:I think you should start him off by doing something simple such as programming a new OS or something..then move on to harder things like Visual Basic.
Sig'd :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

:lol: Yeah, for now I just want him to get the basics down, then crush his belief that he'll easily become an epic programmer... Then throw him into Python... God I wish I would've started when I was his age... Too bad I was really poor and didn't have a computer back then xD
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

yea i started w/ Flash when i was 11-12 and i easily made an entire game in 2 weeks w/ all custom graphics and MY code not stolen although... i did learn a LOT from Tutorialized xD

yea... i LOVE math "I <3 Trig" is sprayed on my door w/ airbrush

and that's not a joke it really is haha
trig took me a little while to learn... but when i did i was proud of myself because my 7thGRADE geometry teacher told me i wasn't even supposed to know trig haha but its actually very useful in game programming... you should teach him trigs xD
!!TEACH HIM JASS!!! haha
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

I have no clue how I didn't see this thread earlier... I guess I should browse the forums more. So your brother wants to learn how to program? Sounds cool. Unfortunately, I don't really have any valid starting language recommendations, due to the fact that I started with simple MapleStory private server Java manipulation (not much, really), and then jumped straight into C++ and gradually advanced until I hit the ground running with graphical programming. I have heard that Python/Perl/etc. are good, but what I think he'd need in order to really get him started is something cool. Say, if you made a game in C++ and integrated lua scripting, then started him off with that (Falco, you better finish your game quickly! :mrgreen: ), it would probably be a great motivator. Find something that really interests him (say, pyGame and the like, or maybe even GameMaker/RPGMaker) and help him get started. Then try to make sure he keeps advancing, and his motivation stays. Once he gets into the realm of C/++ (game) programming, you can just about safely say there's no turning back for him :lol: Good luck to him, and sorry for the rather long-winded post. ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

Ginto8 wrote:I have no clue how I didn't see this thread earlier... I guess I should browse the forums more. So your brother wants to learn how to program? Sounds cool. Unfortunately, I don't really have any valid starting language recommendations, due to the fact that I started with simple MapleStory private server Java manipulation (not much, really), and then jumped straight into C++ and gradually advanced until I hit the ground running with graphical programming. I have heard that Python/Perl/etc. are good, but what I think he'd need in order to really get him started is something cool. Say, if you made a game in C++ and integrated lua scripting, then started him off with that (Falco, you better finish your game quickly! :mrgreen: ), it would probably be a great motivator. Find something that really interests him (say, pyGame and the like, or maybe even GameMaker/RPGMaker) and help him get started. Then try to make sure he keeps advancing, and his motivation stays. Once he gets into the realm of C/++ (game) programming, you can just about safely say there's no turning back for him :lol: Good luck to him, and sorry for the rather long-winded post. ;)
LOL Now you mention maple story ps, I messed around with titan ms and it was in c++, its alot easier than odinms iMO,.. but that was like a year ago... I dont even play it anymore
derbon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Big Nasty Enemies
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES SMS snes PC N64 PS2 Vectrex The Arcade Machine
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Perl

Post by derbon »

That's an EASY question, the language is called BlitzPlus, its super easy, it has its own API.
download it somewhere at http://www.maneeshsethi.com/
BlitzPlus tutorials at YouTube by amcadam26
i think the best paint program would be microsoft paint + paint.NET+graphics gale + Paint shop Pro 7 + photoshop CS3, it would be called Paint Gale Pro Shop.NET,

http://youtube.com/gonduda
h0ts0up
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by h0ts0up »

I agree with derbon. Knowing a 12 year old, he has a VERY short attention span and would probably give up if he got frustrated enough. Have him work with BlitzPlus and get him into a game or something.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I wonder what ginto has to say about that.... :lol:
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

h0ts0up wrote:I agree with derbon. Knowing a 12 year old, he has a VERY short attention span and would probably give up if he got frustrated enough. Have him work with BlitzPlus and get him into a game or something.
I've just turned 13 and when I started with C++, when I was 12, it was the first programming I had ever done. If he really wants to do this then he won't give up. Also people say that there are too advanced concepts in C++ that it would be difficult to understand, he will have to learn them eventually and it would be better to start learning sooner than leave it until later.
I'll make your software hardware.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I was doing web design and basic Perl at 12. I started on Dreamcast at 13. You can totally do it. Start out at the library with a book on something like BlitzPlus.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

GyroVorbis wrote:I was doing web design and basic Perl at 12. I started on Dreamcast at 13. You can totally do it. Start out at the library with a book on something like BlitzPlus.
Heh, he already started, I threw him into C++, takes him a bit longer to grasp things than it did for me, but it's working.