A good GBA / easy console SDK?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Sliver
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

A good GBA / easy console SDK?

Post by Sliver »

Could anyone point me to a development kit / toolchain for the gameboy advance?

I want to see what developing for consoles is like, so I thought GBA might be a good place to start. If I'm used to OpenGL and SDL, what's the most similar console to go for?

Thanks everyone :)
All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: A good GBA / easy console SDK?

Post by rolland »

I've looked for similar info, but didn't find much. You might want to try DS development. Surprisingly, it's a lot easier. Either way, DevkitPro should provide a suitable toolchain. For GBA/NDS, you'll want DevkitARM.

DS APIs:
LibNDS, from the same guys, is a pretty low-level api that you can do pretty much anything you want with(OGL, for example).
There's also PAlib. Despite having been condemned by the above toolchain creators, they claim that the latest version is compatible with the latest DevkitArm build. If you're used to SDL, you'd probably be more comfortable with this one.
Another one is uLibrary. I haven't used it yet, but it's apparently supposed to be more advanced than PAlib in multiple ways.

EDIT:
Or you could try Wii development. In which case, the guys above offer DevkitPPC. For libraries, check http://www.wiibrew.org.
I don't have any advice on psp development, but DevkitPro offers DevkitPSP as a toolchain.
And for an easy console SDK, you could try the Xbox 360. After all, Microsoft owns the console(360), the language(C#), the IDE/Compiler(Visual C#), and the API(XNA). You would hope it would be easy to use. :roll: And from personal experience, it is.
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

Sliver wrote:Could anyone point me to a development kit / toolchain for the gameboy advance?

I want to see what developing for consoles is like, so I thought GBA might be a good place to start. If I'm used to OpenGL and SDL, what's the most similar console to go for?

IMO, go for PSP, I mean honestly, its probably the most available documented hacked hardware for games...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I disagree. Coming from a Dreamcast background, our SDK is waaaaaay better documented and way easier to use.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

GyroVorbis wrote:I disagree. Coming from a Dreamcast background, our SDK is waaaaaay better documented and way easier to use.
Well, I think that might be true.. but honestly who says DCs laying around these days? its all PSP hacking going on now days, bigger audience and possibly more power full than the DC
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

davidthefat wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:I disagree. Coming from a Dreamcast background, our SDK is waaaaaay better documented and way easier to use.
Well, I think that might be true.. but honestly who says DCs laying around these days? its all PSP hacking going on now days, bigger audience and possibly more power full than the DC
Uh-oh, brace for flamefest!

Who has DC's lying around???? Get one on ebay for a fraction of the cost of a PSP. Even if you aren't planning on doing homebrew on it, DC's game library > PSP (imho).
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Bakkon »

davidthefat wrote:
Falco has talked several times about how the DC is more powerful than the PSP sans processor. And I certainly have a Dreamcast "laying around."
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

davidthefat wrote:
:shock: Are you aware of what forum you're posting on.

Falco will have your head. :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

I can say Im just a Sony Fag :lol:
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

Sliver wrote:Could anyone point me to a development kit / toolchain for the gameboy advance?

gbadev.org
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

davidthefat wrote:I can say Im just a Sony Fag :lol:
http://dcemulation.org
http://dcemu.co.uk

And finally, a commercial publisher who PUBLISHES DC games (and makes lots of money from doing it):
http://redspotgames.com

Research before you talk out of your ass next time. You would make far more money releasing a game commercially on Dreamcast. Thousands of people still have it "laying" around.
CowboyX86
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by CowboyX86 »

GyroVorbis wrote:And finally, a commercial publisher who PUBLISHES DC games (and makes lots of money from doing it):
http://redspotgames.com
I'm curious... How much money they made?