What Console Would You Want to Dev For?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

What Console Would You Want to Dev For?

Post by davidthefat »

Which consoles stand out to you? That you WANT to dev for? For me, its the PS3 and Wii, PS3 cause its like the Lambo of consoles (And I got one) and Wii is like the Beetle of the Consoles, cute and fun but weak. ;) :lol:
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: What Console Would You Want to Dev For?

Post by Milch »

Definitely for wii.
In case of beeing creative its the best plattform to dev for imo.
Follow me on twitter!
Pennywise
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Megadrive(Genesis), Dreamcast, SNES, Nintendo 64
Programming Language of Choice: C, C++ and Java

Post by Pennywise »

I would definitely dev for the old school consoles like the Mega Drive and the Dreamcast. They were my childhood consoles. But for the modern approach it would be the Playstation 3 and Xbox360.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

if its indy,, def something old. you would struggle your nuts off with the cell proc. im not to familiar with the 360.

if its in a corp env. id like to see what can actually be done on the ps3.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Big Grizzle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: 2d side scrolling shooter.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: The SNES rules all!!! Super Aleste baby!
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Post by Big Grizzle »

It has to be the SNES. My all time favourite console.

As for the current gen of consoles I think one lone developer would struggle to create something truly awesome. Sure the 360 and the PS3 have all that graphics power, but a one-person team is not likely to be able to create enough content to fully utilise all of that power.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci
http://caveofgrizzle.blogspot.com/
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

I would love to work on a Genesis game, simply due to my love for the console. The other one right now would be the NDS, simply because of the R4 I have and it would be awesome to show off a game I made on such a portable console.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Big Grizzle wrote:It has to be the SNES. My all time favourite console.
THIS

I would love to develop an RPG for the SNES. Playing SNES is what really got me into video games in the first place.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Wow, I'm glad to see that so many of you aren't like "OMG PS3/360/Wii!!!!" Because you can develop for them, and it honestly isn't much different at all (for a homebrewer) than developing for a PC.

I would develop for something older, because I love learning new things about hardware and working at a low level. The Dreamcast is really nice, because a homebrewer can still get a shitload out of it. Most indie 360/PS3 games could be made to run on DC, with a bit of management and lower-level knowledge. To me, that's really badass.

I would also like to do something for NES/Genesis/SNES if I had the time.
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

Probably the original gameboy because my first console was a gameboy pocket and it got me interested in games I still have most of my old cartridges for it as well as the unit itself. I'm amazed it still works... perhaps one day with enough work I will be able to make something for it. Still.. until that day I have Donkey Kong Land 3 and Links Awakening to enjoy (and a lot of work to do lol).
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

I am pretty sure that devving for the wii isnt very hard compared to pc, the hardware takes care of the wii mote input for you so you just treat it like a mouse Im assuming... Thats why they have tons of garbage games on it

from a hardware point of view, iPhone/iTouch and android phones arent very far behind it... Droid has 512 mb flash ram, so does wii and droid is clocked at 600 mhz and wii at 700mhz... Wii just has a bit more jiuce by having a GPU...
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

The amount of memory and the clocking frequency is in most cases not so important ;) For example, you can have a 1000 mb graphics card with 1000 MHz and it gets beaten up by a 250mb/500MHz one because it has less shader units.

I'd really like to develop for the next generation of portable consoles. We are currently making a hack'n'slay and I would love to port this. Requirements would be OpenGL support and a C++ Compiler.
clsDevAaron
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by clsDevAaron »

I think I would try my hand at the N64, especially because of the nostalgia of hooking it up occasionally and playing some old games.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

K-Bal wrote:The amount of memory and the clocking frequency is in most cases not so important ;) For example, you can have a 1000 mb graphics card with 1000 MHz and it gets beaten up by a 250mb/500MHz one because it has less shader units.

I'd really like to develop for the next generation of portable consoles. We are currently making a hack'n'slay and I would love to port this. Requirements would be OpenGL support and a C++ Compiler.
devving for psp isnt that hard, theres some options. lua (noob way) or c/c++ or be a super noob and use game maker like programs...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

davidthefat wrote:
K-Bal wrote:The amount of memory and the clocking frequency is in most cases not so important ;) For example, you can have a 1000 mb graphics card with 1000 MHz and it gets beaten up by a 250mb/500MHz one because it has less shader units.

devving for psp isnt that hard, theres some options. lua (noob way) or c/c++ or be a super noob and use game maker like programs...
C/++ development on the PSP is actually pretty damn hard, because the homebrew library isn't very advanced.

But yeah, you can do all Lua for consoles like Dreamcast, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, etc, and invoke pre-written C/++ functions to handle the hard stuff. Of course this is extremely limited, but it's also extremely easy.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

PSP is an interesting platform but I guess a fresh console with a fresh market is more profitable for an indy devteam.