Language (script) enquiry

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Maknis
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Language (script) enquiry

Post by Maknis »

Hi everyone, i have just joined the forums because i am interested, i have been watching the Adventure Game Development series and you all seem to nkow what your doing.

I myself have been learning Actionscript 3 as i enjoy flash and want to make Online flash games. i was wondering how easy it would be to transfer my knowledge into cay C++ or C#, i'm aware they will be completely different syntax and a much faster more involved language but was still wondering on peoples thoughts on Actionscript, also between c++ and c#

Cheers
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Language (script) enquiry

Post by Milch »

From what I've heard, Actionscript is pretty easy compared to other languages. But its still powerfull.
My thoughts on C# and C++?
C# uses a framework and it is from Microsoft. So you cant use it on Linux.
C++ ( not Visual C++ ) has compilers for Windows,Linux and Mac - so you can use it on any OS.
As far as I know, C++ is industry standart, and most game developers use it.

Correct me if I'm wrong ;D
Follow me on twitter!
thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Learn
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC/PS/GC/DC
Programming Language of Choice: C(++)/Perl

Post by thbp »

Actually C@ can be used on linux via MONO framework.....
C++ is a decent language it can be complicated (i'm still learning)
But i think C# is a good choice for a complete beginner (trieed learning it but just couldn't stay with it (no motivation of beingable to transfer work to playstation/dreamcast)) But if you want to be able to make games for XBOX 360 it's a good choice (in my opinion)
XNA ========== eXtreme Nuclear Atomic
Wrestlers have three motion: side 2 side , circle, and stalk
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Milch »

Ah - cool stuff with C# and Linux.
Looked at Mono and it looks pretty awesome.
Thank you for that ;D
Follow me on twitter!
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

It really all depends on what you want to do with the language.

C++is completely multi-purpose, you can pretty much do anything with it, C# on it's own is very much geared towards business applications/GUI programming, which might be good for business systems, for games you can of course extend C#'s capabilities by using XNA, which is pretty good, but then again in C++ you can pretty much add anything you want to it, with the limitless amount of development libraries/API's available for it.

I prefer C++ because it's my native language (i.e. the first one I learned) and i'm all for being able to distribute your applications with little burden on the end-user (in c++ you usually include DLL's with your app, which work automatically, in C# your end-user will either have to have the .NET framework installed or you'll have to include it)

So you just have to weigh up the pros and cons, I don't know the syntax of actionscript, but with any other languages there will be differences and similarities
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Actionscript will help you, because you already understand basic programming constructs (conditionals, loops, control structures, etc), but that's where it ends. Actionscript is an extremely high level scripting language. C++ and C# are faaar lower level full-fledged programming languages that are far more difficult to learn.

You're definitely better off than somebody who has never done anything programming-related in their life, but learning one or the other language is definitely not going to be a piece of cake just because you're fluent at Actionscript. I learned Perl first, and the transition to C/++ was still pretty damn large for me.
Master Jake
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Master Jake »

thbp wrote: But i think C# is a good choice for a complete beginner
I don't think C# really is a good beginner language. Just my opinion.

Negative
Point 1: It abuses Object Orientation which could lead to bad habits where the programmer depends on Object Orientation in cases where procedural would be more efficient.

Point 2 extends 1: (<-- get it :) ) Object Oriented programming in itself can be more difficult to learn as it requires understanding of programming that one might gain from practice in the procedural world.

Point 3: Object Oriented programming can be drastically slower when it is abused (Java, C#).

Positive
Point 1: Since Java and C# are so alike, learning one is nearly learning the other. Java is overrated and overused in my opinion, but the industry seems to like it so having it in your arsenal of programming weapons would be a positive.

-----

The first languages I learned were web-based languages (being that I'm a web designer and programmer that will come to no surprise). I started with HTML so that I could build websites, enhanced with CSS for styling, and then started JavaScript for some client-side fun.

JavaScript was actually the language which initiated my life's computer programming sector. Though JavaScript has it's drastic differences, it does teach you the fundamental basics (as Falco pointed with ActionScript: conditionals, loops, etc.)

From there I began to learn C/C++, ActionScript [AS2 at the time], a little Java at one point, a little C# at one point, and plenty more.

Though I ventured into computer programming, I still maintained my passion for the web and went back to learn PHP in 2008.

-----

Edit: The point of this post is that learning any programming language will help you in your journey of learning another, which will help you in your journey of learning another. This cycle repeats. Even a language like JavaScript can help. So, if you want to learn ActionScript, learn it. Flash and ActionScript are desired all over the web so it would be a plus.

The other point is that I don't think C# is a good start, which I mentioned above.
thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by thbp »

after master jake's post i will retract my statement (though i think C# is probably easier to learn than C++)

But as Gyrovorbis says nomatter what you'll still have difficulties.
Master Jake
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Master Jake »

thbp wrote:after master jake's post i will retract my statement (though i think C# is probably easier to learn than C++)

But as Gyrovorbis says nomatter what you'll still have difficulties.
I wouldn't expect you to change your opinion based on mine. The statements made in my post were just based on my experience.
thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by thbp »

Actually i've been thinking about it all day. OOP programming confuses the heck out of me and i have been around differenct languages (never pecoming literat in any) but the ones that force OOP hardcore JAVA and C# have been the hardes to understand the basic foundations. C was kinda easy to understand "this happens then this".
If you want the language i'd actually recomend for someone it's this

Qbasic (it's effing easy too easy (in my opinion)
Python (never used but seen lots of posts about how python is good for beginners)
Perl (qoute from GyroVorbis "Man with Perl is powerful")(never reallly dove to far into it)

then like others metntion C++ the like Master Grasshoper of all game languages (lol)
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I just finished my first semester of college using C# in my Intro to Programming course. I would agree 100% that it is NOT the language for a newbie to learn first. My roommate had only ever programmed in TI Basic before this year and I was constantly helping him try to understand wtf was going on in C#'s head. Although it is certainly easier to learn than C++, I would argue against anyone who says a newbie will get more out of it than something like C++ (or any other language that doesn't force you create a fuggin' static class to hold global vars..).

In short, if you honestly feel as if you can dedicate yourself, C / C++ is the way to go for sure. Otherwise, C# and the like will do you just fine to learn a bit more advanced programming techniques, but just remember there are so many things going on that you aren't seeing and when you end up having to control one of things one day you're going to crash into a 1,000 ft wall of concrete in a mini cooper made of paper.

That's my opinion. :)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Depending on your practises, if you're coming from Actionscript 1 or 2, then the transition will be tough, as AS1/2 can be used alot less structured and badly written.

However, from ActionScript3, the transition will not be that difficult. The main thing you will have to deal with is pointers and some lower level concepts, but your OOP, syntax and general usage will be very similar if not the same.

I came to C/C++ from AS2 and I say go for it. Hell, that's what I did and I love it.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
lotios611
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Game engine for the PC, PSP, and maybe more.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Gameboy Micro

Post by lotios611 »

I started with Lua. There's a game I play, called Roblox, were people can build things and script them with a version of Lua called RobloxLua (or something.) I liked Roblox because I got to build things and then see them work.
"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown