help getting directx sdk working with dev c++

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

jaymonster138
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

help getting directx sdk working with dev c++

Post by jaymonster138 »

All I can find is this link
http://nexe.gamedev.net/directKnowledge ... g%20DevCpp

but im having trouble figuring this out. I downloaded MinGW and i tried typing in what they said and didn't work. It says reimp is not recognized.
I am not sure if i have the path to my MinGW bin folder set. I have no idea what that means.
Now that you have both, open a command-line prompt (Start->Run, then type "cmd"). Go to the SDK installation path. Throughout this article, we'll assume it's E:\DXSDK. Also, we'll assume that you have the path to your MinGW bin folder is set.
Goto the lib folder, E:\DXSDK\lib. This folder contains import libraries for DirectX, and we need to convert them to a format that MinGW can use. We do that using the reimp utility, which is part of MinGW Utilities. So, for each library file – ".lib" extension – type the following command:

reimp –c filename.lib
Where filename is your import library name. For example:

reimp –c dinput8.lib
help please. or if you have another solution please share.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: help getting directx sdk working with dev c++

Post by dandymcgee »

jaymonster138 wrote:All I can find is this link
http://nexe.gamedev.net/directKnowledge ... g%20DevCpp

but im having trouble figuring this out. I downloaded MinGW and i tried typing in what they said and didn't work. It says reimp is not recognized.
I am not sure if i have the path to my MinGW bin folder set. I have no idea what that means.
Now that you have both, open a command-line prompt (Start->Run, then type "cmd"). Go to the SDK installation path. Throughout this article, we'll assume it's E:\DXSDK. Also, we'll assume that you have the path to your MinGW bin folder is set.
Goto the lib folder, E:\DXSDK\lib. This folder contains import libraries for DirectX, and we need to convert them to a format that MinGW can use. We do that using the reimp utility, which is part of MinGW Utilities. So, for each library file – ".lib" extension – type the following command:

reimp –c filename.lib
Where filename is your import library name. For example:

reimp –c dinput8.lib
help please. or if you have another solution please share.
I know this isn't the solution you're looking for, but my recommendation (along with probably most other users of this forum's) is to upgrade to a new IDE. Dev-C++ is quite outdated and no longer supported. I just recently decided to start using Visual C++, simple because it's an amazing IDE and is the commercial de facto.

Code::Blocks isn't bad if you have it out for Microsoft and absolutely refuse to use Visual Studio.

If neither of these is an option, I'm sorry to waste your time and hope that someone here can offer you a solution.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
jaymonster138
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by jaymonster138 »

yeah i think i will go with what you said and go with visual c++.
Dukembg
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Aberration (Remake in C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Genesis, Atari 7800, Game Boy
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Dukembg »

Some guy made a DevPak for the DirectX SDK which makes it easier for you to use DirectX with the MinGW compiler.

download here

works great. I got directsound and directmusic up and working.
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: GMN (C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PSP / Psp Emulation, GameCube, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by OmegaGDS »

Yeah, this problem stinks. Dev C++ is beta, and whenever i try to report bugs through the reporter it crashes. I think its funny that they have a fatal bug in the bug reporting system.