Learning C++ as a first language

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: GMN (C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PSP / Psp Emulation, GameCube, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Learning C++ as a first language

Post by OmegaGDS »

I learned JAVA in a Computer Science class, but am learning C++ from books. Java is easier, but the fact that I learned it first makes learning C++ a whole lot easier (seeing that I already understand the basic concepts). I like having the c++ books because i get to write all over them, and it is easy to go back and look at topics that you may not quite understand. I hear that Blitz (or is it Blitz Plus) is a good one to start out with ;)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No blitzplus, just start with python or ruby or something but for the love of god not blitz! I started with blitz and I regretted it for a long time after I started c++. I don't know if ruby or python is good either, just not blitz, I actually think something like java would be great for a beginner. I've used a little java and I like it, and there are lots of sources on the internet for help.
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: GMN (C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PSP / Psp Emulation, GameCube, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by OmegaGDS »

eatcomics wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No blitzplus, just start with python or ruby or something but for the love of god not blitz! I started with blitz and I regretted it for a long time after I started c++. I don't know if ruby or python is good either, just not blitz, I actually think something like java would be great for a beginner. I've used a little java and I like it, and there are lots of sources on the internet for help.
Ok, I retract my statement about the Blitz plus. I just heard that it was easy, but have never actually used it. I agree with you about Java. Start with java, its really user friendly.