Dreamcast Development

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Dreamcast Development

Post by Lord Pingas »

Thanks, MrDeathNote, I think I understand better.

Sorry, it's stressfull trying again and again and finding out it don't work. :evil:

One question, is the bin or Makefile something I can edit or is it just there for the compiler to produce, never to be edited?

Oh and I wrote it without quotation marks. :)
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

Lord Pingas wrote:Thanks, MrDeathNote, I think I understand better.

Sorry, it's stressfull trying again and again and finding out it don't work. :evil:

One question, is the bin or Makefile something I can edit or is it just there for the compiler to produce, never to be edited?

Oh and I wrote it without quotation marks. :)
The makefile is editable, in fact you need to edit it depending on the project. Sorry but i had to ask about the quotes, sometimes its the simplest mistakes.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Lord Pingas wrote:Ok, so far, so bad. :oops:

I wrote eveything in the Cygwin terminal.

I wrote "cd C:/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/hello make" but nothing happens...

I also wrote "cd C:/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/hello" and I wrote "make" afterwards but it says that there is no such command called "make".
Ok, I'm not at home so I don't remember the directories... BUT the terminal should already be in c:/cygwin... so your first change directory command should be(without quotes) cd kos

See if that changes the directory... either way you shouldn't cd c: because you're already in c:\cygwin. If cd kos works... then you will be at c:/cygwin/kos.

Though if I remember the install directory, the examples are at c:/cygwin/usr/local/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/ so from the initial terminal prompt type in: cd usr/local/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/hello (note that path may be wrong, manually click through the folders and take note of the path as you go)

Also, when you installed the toolchain, you made sure that you installed it within the cygwin folder, correct? It probably double checks that when you go to install it, but I'm just checking.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

Ok, when I open Cygwin it already has "usr/local/dc/kos/kos" as it's caption but when I enter "cd usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/hello" it says that there is no such file or directory.

What did I do wrong?

But still, thanks for your help. :)
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Trask »

Lord Pingas wrote:Ok, when I open Cygwin it already has "usr/local/dc/kos/kos" as it's caption but when I enter "cd usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/hello" it says that there is no such file or directory.

What did I do wrong?

But still, thanks for your help. :)
Ok, if you're already sitting at user/local/dc/kos/kos... then you simply need to enter cd examples/dreamcast/hello

CD = Change directory, so every time you say cd 'directory name' its like double clicking on a folder in explorer. So cd examples(is like double clicking on the examples folder)/dreamcast(is like double clicking on the dreamcast folder)/hello(is like double clicking on the hello folder)

The no such file or directory exists error came from the fact that you weren't sitting at c:/cygwin like I assumed, you were already that far into the folder structure. So there is no 'usr' folder in teh kos directory that you were sitting at, because you already went through the usr folder, the local folder, the dc folder, and the two kos folders.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

Oh, sorry about that. :oops:

I'm still ignorant of the command line because I have never used it before.

I done what you said and it worked! :)

But there is still the need of compiling the example...
Can you help me out? :mrgreen:
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Trask »

Well if you're in the terminal still, sitting in that directory simply type the word: make and hit enter. You should see a .elf file and a .bin file appear in the hello directory(just look at it on your computer, not through the terminal). You then need to get a DC emulator that can run those... I think nullDC does, I couldn't get it to work last night, but I was busy with other stuff. Chaska doesn't boot .elf files apparently, or at least the version I had.

And don't worry about it, I'm an IT tech, walking people through things is what I do.
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

I typed in "make" but it said that the command was not found.

Sorry if I'm wasting your time.
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by mattheweston »

Not to hijack the topic but, some "super secret" documents detailing the hardware were mentioned previously. I don't necessarily think they are illegal to have, but you are probably better off being cautious. I say this because I recently did research into homebrew for the NES and found a great deal of documentation detailing the NES hardware.

One thing I realized while researching is that there were some VERY talented developers back then. The system is fairly limited; however, they found creative ways to utilize the resources they had to create some pretty good games.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

Lord Pingas wrote:I typed in "make" but it said that the command was not found.

Sorry if I'm wasting your time.
You may need to run the cygwin setup.exe again, this will allow you to add packages to your install. It's possible that you don't have all the correct packages installed, i think that the package your missing is automake.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Trask »

Ok... let me just make sure you're where you should be.

Your terminal is has to be sitting at usr/local/dc/kos/kos/examples/dreamcast/hello... if it's not(like if you closed the terminal window since you last got the CD command to work, do those steps again until you're back in that directory.) Once you're confirmed to be in that directory, you should be able to just type the word make and it should work. If it doesn't, go to My Computer, C:, c:\cygwin folder, navigate to that hello example and see if there is a file called MAKEFILE in that directory, if it's there and still doesn't work and you're sure that your terminal is sitting in the right directory and if it is reinstall all of this again.

Make sure you install the Cygwin on your c: drive so the directory is c:\cygwin, make sure you 'install all' as per the instructions and make sure the toolchain is installed at c:\cygwin.

If there is no MAKEFILE in that directory, is there any other folders under 'hello'? if there is, you may have to navigate to that directory in the terminal, so you may be off by one folder.
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

Wait, do I have to wait make at the same time I navigate to that directory?

When I write the directory i want to navigate under and write "make" on the same line, I get no error but no rom appears in my directory.

I have got a Makefile in my hello directory and 2 other folders in there called ".svn" and "romdisk".

And my Cgywin is in my C: Drive.

What do you think I should do?

Also, do I have to do something with this file called "environ.sh" because I heard that you need that?
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Trask »

Lord Pingas wrote:Wait, do I have to wait make at the same time I navigate to that directory?

When I write the directory i want to navigate under and write "make" on the same line, I get no error but no rom appears in my directory.

I have got a Makefile in my hello directory and 2 other folders in there called ".svn" and "romdisk".

And my Cgywin is in my C: Drive.

What do you think I should do?

Also, do I have to do something with this file called "environ.sh" because I heard that you need that?
No, navigate to the directory, hit enter to execute that command, once that's done and you're in that directory then type make

If the makefile is in the same directory that your terminal is sitting in, then it should work. If its not, I think it's time to reinstall everything and start over from scratch.

As for the other files and folders, i'm not sure as I'm not a DC expert. I simply ran an example project yesterday which is why I know as much as what I'm telling you. .sh I believe is related to bash scripting or something else in unix, not sure but I'm sure the enivronment.sh probably sets up the DC's environment variables to help it run when it's all packed into the .elf/bin files. It's been years since my last unix class(I'm a Windows whore).

And if the command completes successfully you'll get a .elf and a .bin file.
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

Ok, I will just reinstall it...

Thanks for your help. :)

I'll update if it works.

EDIT: Ok, I have reinstalled it.
Lord Pingas