VC++ 2010 Express Release Problem

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

VC++ 2010 Express Release Problem

Post by eatcomics »

So as I have mentioned in a post of dejai's, I am having problems getting an SDL/OGL game to work on XP machines.

I've set the project up with the DLLs it needs, I've googled the problem but can't find crap. So I first did release and tried it out on my sister's old crappy windows XP laptop. It didn't work, I made some tweaks, didn't work... So after about 3 times trying that, I tried it on my brother's Vista Laptop, it ran just fine after I got all the DLLs I needed. So I figured my sister's laptop was just out of date, so I went ahead on to school and was going to show my teacher He had XP and I got the same error I got on my sister's

"This application was not initialized properly, reinstalling the application may help"
or something close to that

Does anyone know how to fix this?

and it would be great if dejai could post the problems he and his team were having in this thread that way we could have more to go off of :D but any help would be greatly appreciated!
mv2112
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Java Tower Defence Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64/Xbox 360/PC/GameCube
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, Java

Re: VC++ 2010 Express Release Problem

Post by mv2112 »

Get Visual Studio 2008, its MUCH MUCH better.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

mv2112 wrote:Get Visual Studio 2008, its MUCH MUCH better.
If this dude's right, though he isn't often, then microsoft has failed yet again. :twisted:
Onward to victory, troops! We can flood the world with free, easy-to-use software that is superior in nearly every way! CRUSH THEM! :evil:
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mv2112
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by mv2112 »

Ginto8 wrote: If this dude's right, though he isn't often, then microsoft has failed yet again. :twisted:
At least i don't segfault pong :mrgreen:
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

mv2112 wrote:
Ginto8 wrote: If this dude's right, though he isn't often, then microsoft has failed yet again. :twisted:
Only cause you segfaulted Tic Tac Toe.....
pythip
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by pythip »

I think for windows the best compiler would be cygwin (mingw), have you done the things on this site? http://gpwiki.org/index.php/C:How_to_se ... nvironment
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

Well, this isn't really the fault of Visual Studio. You're just in DLL hell and getting into the finer points of software deployment in general :]

Either way, it can't read a DLL it needs. Either the DLL in question does not have read access (not installed correctly), the DLL version does not match the target version, you're mixing release and debug DLL's, the DLL is simply not there, or a combination thereof. You can get DLL tracers that step backwards and will show you what DLLs the application is trying to use and if there's any problems with any of them.

Good luck.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

mv2112 wrote:
Funny how you bring that up, because that happened about a year ago, and, if I remember correctly, you have explicitly called destructors. And I'll have you know that I also made a fully functional version in C. I was an idiot back then. Though I'm still not as good as a number of people here, I am definitely much better than I was when this became my rank.

PS: this brings up a timely issue for the mods: could I have my rank changed to normal? I'd never segfault pong at this point
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

You know what?

You really need to work on your attitude because it sucks and is rather irritating. You told him that he's never right then at the same time you go and get all pissy because someone poked fun at you for segfaulting pong. Oh no! Take it in jest and move on. Instead of learning from your mistakes and turning it into something useful and productive you use it as a weapon to cut people down and boost your already monolithic ego. You know that the software industry is highly cooperative and you'll virtually never find yourself working completely alone and you may find yourself working with those who are not in what you'd consider your "skill bracket". We find solutions to problems and sometimes we stumble along the way, but NOBODY worth their weight will insult you for those mistakes. Nobody would expect you to do the same back to them either. This is not a contest. It is not a race. The solution to most of the problems that boggle your brain now have already been eloquently proposed and implemented. Enjoy the ride because you'll ALWAYS be learning. Quit using people's justifiable ignorance as leverage to put yourself forward in this imaginary race of yours.

Consider that at any given point and at any given time you WILL wear that shoe again. You WILL look like a "n00b" in the eyes of superiors. You WILL do dumb things that maybe people will poke fun at you for. In reality? You're always segfaulting pong. Even now, I'm still segfaulting pong. Welcome to software development.

This has been a LONG time coming, and this is the first and final word I have to say about it. I hope that you'll honestly consider evaluating it and realize that it will only serve to help you in the long run because you're plenty smart but nobody wants to work with a fkn douchebag.

So quit it. It makes me (and everyone else) nauseous.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

mv2112 wrote:
No, you just manually called a deconstructor.
There's no place like ~/
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

qpHalcy0n wrote:You know what?

You really need to work on your attitude because it sucks and is rather irritating. You told him that he's never right then at the same time you go and get all pissy because someone poked fun at you for segfaulting pong. Oh no! Take it in jest and move on. Instead of learning from your mistakes and turning it into something useful and productive you use it as a weapon to cut people down and boost your already monolithic ego. You know that the software industry is highly cooperative and you'll virtually never find yourself working completely alone and you may find yourself working with those who are not in what you'd consider your "skill bracket". We find solutions to problems and sometimes we stumble along the way, but NOBODY worth their weight will insult you for those mistakes. Nobody would expect you to do the same back to them either. This is not a contest. It is not a race. The solution to most of the problems that boggle your brain now have already been eloquently proposed and implemented. Enjoy the ride because you'll ALWAYS be learning. Quit using people's justifiable ignorance as leverage to put yourself forward in this imaginary race of yours.

Consider that at any given point and at any given time you WILL wear that shoe again. You WILL look like a "n00b" in the eyes of superiors. You WILL do dumb things that maybe people will poke fun at you for. In reality? You're always segfaulting pong. Even now, I'm still segfaulting pong. Welcome to software development.

This has been a LONG time coming, and this is the first and final word I have to say about it. I hope that you'll honestly consider evaluating it and realize that it will only serve to help you in the long run because you're plenty smart but nobody wants to work with a fkn douchebag.

So quit it. It makes me (and everyone else) nauseous.
Well I'm sorry if my post seemed pissy, it's just been starting to get on my nerves...
I guess a lack of emoticons makes it easy for a post to be taken too seriously :lol:
mv2112
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by mv2112 »

Ginto8, LeonBlade, touché
AND to comment on my first post:
I've just had a lot of problems with VS10 that I haven't had with VS8
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

Well I'm sorry if my post seemed pissy, it's just been starting to get on my nerves...
I guess a lack of emoticons makes it easy for a post to be taken too seriously
You've probably gathered that I wasn't simply talking about this post. I'm not THAT psycho.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

qpHalcy0n wrote:
I guess a lack of emoticons makes it easy for a post to be taken too seriously
You've probably gathered that I wasn't simply talking about this post. I'm not THAT psycho.
While I admit that I have an ego (and I am working on that btw), you constantly bringing it up doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to that fact :roll:
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Visual Studio is a good program.
There's no place like ~/