Oh God so many tiles!

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Oh God so many tiles!

Post by dandymcgee »

XianForce wrote:But what Ginto posted is still good practice. Because what if it ISN'T NULL? I use that practice all the time =p
I stand corrected. 8-)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
spirit bomb!
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by spirit bomb! »

THANK YOU!!!! for all the responses. I now see that my problem was that i was ignorant. I should know that rendering stuff is a heavier load in terms of calculations.
So i will only draw what is on screen and, if need be, make my game window smaller.

Also as a side note... i was going to use a mapmaker that i did not program, because im a lazy b@$$ TARD. I was going to use "mappy". Any one recommend any other map editor? or use mappy?.....just curious
circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because
circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

XianForce wrote:But what Ginto posted is still good practice. Because what if it ISN'T NULL? I use that practice all the time =p
That's the point. The 'delete' operator checks for non-null.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Bakkon wrote:
That's the point. The 'delete' operator checks for non-null.
He means if it was never set to NULL but was already delete'd. If you call delete on a pointer to random memory.. problems WILL arise.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

spirit bomb! wrote:THANK YOU!!!! for all the responses. I now see that my problem was that i was ignorant. I should know that rendering stuff is a heavier load in terms of calculations.
So i will only draw what is on screen and, if need be, make my game window smaller.

Also as a side note... i was going to use a mapmaker that i did not program, because im a lazy b@$$ TARD. I was going to use "mappy". Any one recommend any other map editor? or use mappy?.....just curious
I'd say make your own, they aren't too difficult, and it will be easier to understand the files you are loading in and they will be more customized to your game :D
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

eatcomics wrote:
spirit bomb! wrote:THANK YOU!!!! for all the responses. I now see that my problem was that i was ignorant. I should know that rendering stuff is a heavier load in terms of calculations.

I'd say make your own, they aren't too difficult, and it will be easier to understand the files you are loading in and they will be more customized to your game :D
By the time you find out the file structure of the editor and code it in to work with your game, figure out the program, and get your game working around it, it would almost be quicker to simply write the program. Not only that, but you can always extend your editor and with minor changes use it for other games you create.

Atleast, that's my thinking =D
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

I say when it comes to a map editor what to create/use depends a lot on the game. For something like a heavy physics based game you would probably want it running inside your engine/game so you can regularly test out levels without any difficulty. For my iPhone game I only needed something simple however it wasn't the kind of game that map editors already exist for as it is a bit unique in the level layouts. So I had to make my own editor. I didn't want it to drain time from the real game making so I used game maker. The benefit of my approach was it took less then a night for me to get my editor up and running as I didn't have to code a whole heap of stuff such as GUI interfaces rather I could just snap it together. Since creating it I have added a few extra features as problems or needs arrose and am thankful that I didn't let it become a big time sync.

From a learning perspective I would say create your own map editor. Try and plan out what needs your project has and take an approach suited. If time is a factor it might be worth looking into using someone elses, but then you will have to make sure that it works well with your game, and learn the tools anyway. On the other hand it might provide more functionality then you would have put in and thus you could get better maps from it with a lot less effort.
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

And that's what spearates us from the animals :lol:

just because you think something is going to be NULL, doesn't mean it is, also, why on earth would you want to destroy your object unless you were calling delete anyway, that's kinda the point of delete, it's a lot more readable than ~SomeClass()
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P