Paintown on your handheld devices, psp,DS, htc, iphone

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Allene32
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Paintown on your handheld devices, psp,DS, htc, iphone

Post by Allene32 »

Paintown on your handheld devices Window ce, Window mobile, HTC Devices and iDevices, PSP, DS

Paintown is a 2-d engine for fighting games. If you are looking for a side-scrolling, action packed game like you used to play or if you are looking for an extensible engine to write your own game, look no further. Paintown supports user created content through a mod system and user defined functionality through scripting.

Paintown also supports an implementation of M.U.G.E.N. Our goal is to be 100% compatible with M.U.G.E.N 2002.04.14 beta as well as supporting any new updates in the 1.0 version.

Paintown is completely open-source and we would love any contributions in the form of code, art, or donations. Give Paintown a try!

Features
Low CPU and GPU requirements
Network play
Dynamic lighting
Joystick support
mod/s3m/xm/it music modules
Scripting with python
M.U.G.E.N engine

Latest news

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/24/2010 - Released 3.3.1 to fix a few bugs

2/21/2010 - Released 3.3. First implementation of MUGEN, about 60% complete.

Right now were working on a way to put paintown on Window ce, Window mobile, basically on hand held devices, such as HTC Devices (HTC HD2, HTC HD, etc) and iDevices (iPhone, iPod touch) and psp, DS. This is possible, but at the time were working on to many stuff as it is, so that why we come here to post for some help, credit of every one who help will be listed in the game it self.

Paintown home page: http://paintown.sourceforge.net/

Paintown chat room: http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick ... s=paintown

in the chat room you can meet some of the people who work on paintown, and the person who made paintown.

if you have any question, please post or message me.

Paintown engine is out on psp, check out youtube video for how to get it own your psp, or just post, message me up.
Last edited by Allene32 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Paintown on Window ce, Window mobile, HTC Devices and iDevic

Post by eatcomics »

Cool :D
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

A bit "advertisy" for a first post, but at least it's far more relevant than golf clubs. Looks like a neat project.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

dandymcgee wrote:A bit "advertisy" for a first post, but at least it's far more relevant than golf clubs. Looks like a neat project.
I honestly thought this was spam. Now that I look more closely...cool!
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Lol I thought it was spam at first too, but its relevant and pretty cool... But still could be a bot... its just better at targeting audiences

Dude if you're not a bot post a reply lol
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

I used to play some Dragonball MUGEN games ;) Cool!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Very bitchin', dude. I'll check it out more when I'm not sitting in class, but what I looked at/read looked really cool.
ZachO
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: DC, Atari 2600, GC
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Post by ZachO »

Allene32 wrote: Features
Low CPU and GPU requirements
Network play
Dynamic lighting
Joystick support
mod/s3m/xm/it music modules
Scripting with python
M.U.G.E.N engine
All I needed to hear!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Re: Paintown on your handheld devices, psp,DS, htc, iphone

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm slightly confused. Like any random project I'm interested in, I've been looking into the technology behind this.

In your post, you have stated that it runs on the DS, PSP, iPhone, and mobile devices. The engine uses embedded Python scripting and supports many effects (from what I have seen) that aren't even possible on a fixed pipeline platform (like these mobiles).

...I've also been doing some Googling, and I can't find anything anywhere about this engine running on anything more than Linux/OSX/Windows. I can't help but be a little skeptical... Care to redirect me? My primary development interests are embedded systems. :D
cndr
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: etc.

Post by cndr »

I think you misread the post, they are looking for ways to put it on hand held devices. The only one that he actually says it runs on is psp.
Long Live The Queen!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Ah, he didn't really introduce that fact until the last paragraph. I guess I missed it.

It would take quite a bit of work to get it on an iDevice, considering Apple's stance on runtime interpretation. I would have to argue that putting this on DS is not going to be technically feasible.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

GyroVorbis wrote:Ah, he didn't really introduce that fact until the last paragraph. I guess I missed it.

It would take quite a bit of work to get it on an iDevice, considering Apple's stance on runtime interpretation. I would have to argue that putting this on DS is not going to be technically feasible.
Definitely not with the DS implementation of SDL, anyways. With libnds (perhaps even PAlib), I think it's plausible.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Ah, he didn't really introduce that fact until the last paragraph. I guess I missed it.

it would probably be feasible, but you'd have to specialize it for DS, and set up the engine to use fixed point rather than floating point. The real question would be if it would be worthwhile to put this on DS.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Ginto8 wrote:

it would probably be feasible, but you'd have to specialize it for DS, and set up the engine to use fixed point rather than floating point. The real question would be if it would be worthwhile to put this on DS.
^^ Yeah. And honestly, I'd say not.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Ginto8 wrote:

I disagree.

It uses Python scripting extensively, supports things like DYNAMIC LIGHTING, runs at a waaay higher resolution, and probably loads spritesheets that are big enough that one sheet would fill the DS's VRAM WITH a palette employed (look at the animations in the videos, the textures must be gigantic).

A DS "version" could definitely be possible, but it would definitely not be using the same engine for the most part, and would certainly not be using any of the same assets (which is a pretty big deal).