Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by LeonBlade »

eatcomics wrote:welcome, you may have no interesting projects but you have an interesting avatar :D and welcome to all you others I haven't said welcome to :D
Yeah avatars are all that matters on these forums these days ;)
Just look at mine! :lol:
There's no place like ~/
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Welcome new peeps! I agree nice avatars are awesome ;)
xXDaWNeDXx
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by xXDaWNeDXx »

Hello, I'm xXDaWNeDXx as you can plainly see. And I must admit, at the question of what color does yellow and blue make, it took me nearly 7 minutes to figure that out.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

xXDaWNeDXx wrote:Hello, I'm xXDaWNeDXx as you can plainly see. And I must admit, at the question of what color does yellow and blue make, it took me nearly 7 minutes to figure that out.
Welcome! Not being able to easily answer that is not a big issue, especially since you would probably have to ask if it's additive color (like light) or subtractive (like paint). Even if that didn't cross your mind, color theory is really only a minor thing here on the forums, so no worries. :mrgreen:
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Van-B
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: iPhone puzzle game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All - Except Amiga
Programming Language of Choice: DBPro, ObjC++

Post by Van-B »

Hi all, Stunthumb from youtube here, AKA Van-B (the grumpy mod) from TheGameCreator Forums. I've been following Gyro and co on youtube for some time, and with the recent 'relaxing' of platform snobbery I thought I'd sign up here :D. By that, I mean the use of Mac's, and Unity3D.

I've written around a dozen games on the PC in the last 7 years or so, my most recent PC game Netboku, is on the intel AppUp store. I develop PC games using DarkBasicPro with DX9c, and am currently working on my first iPhone app using XCode and GLES. I am a complete noob with C/C++, but am diving in the deep end with Obj C++ on the iPhone, and learning a lot - and loving OpenGLES.
Health, ammo.... and bacon and eggs.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

Welcome the the forums guys.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Oh my newbies.... well hi there, you are all humbly invited to participate in the sacred and powerful discussions that go down here. Glad to have you :D
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Van-B wrote:Hi all, Stunthumb from youtube here, AKA Van-B (the grumpy mod) from TheGameCreator Forums. I've been following Gyro and co on youtube for some time, and with the recent 'relaxing' of platform snobbery I thought I'd sign up here :D. By that, I mean the use of Mac's, and Unity3D.

I've written around a dozen games on the PC in the last 7 years or so, my most recent PC game Netboku, is on the intel AppUp store. I develop PC games using DarkBasicPro with DX9c, and am currently working on my first iPhone app using XCode and GLES. I am a complete noob with C/C++, but am diving in the deep end with Obj C++ on the iPhone, and learning a lot - and loving OpenGLES.
Why 'ello thar! Yeah, I figured there were probably many folk in your boat watching ES only hesitantly. It was never our intention to make our project a turn-off to others NOT developing "ground up," but we've probably done that to an extent. ;p

It was our hope that by showing "the other side" to development we could appeal to the guys who grew up wanting to make games, not program. While it is true, most of our videos center on the programmers of Elysian Shadows, we've known since we were kids exactly what we wanted the game to be, how it should look, the storyline, etc.

So, with this being said, I'd like to extend a personal welcome to the forums! Enjoy your time here...Post lots and prosper. ;p
Hello, I'm xXDaWNeDXx as you can plainly see. And I must admit, at the question of what color does yellow and blue make, it took me nearly 7 minutes to figure that out.
Don't quite know how I happened to miss you, but you've got my apologies. Hello, and welcome to the boards. As for the question of color...That's fine, just know that there's a realm called "art topics," and not to ever, ever go near there. XD
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Van-B wrote:Hi all, Stunthumb from youtube here, AKA Van-B (the grumpy mod) from TheGameCreator Forums. I've been following Gyro and co on youtube for some time, and with the recent 'relaxing' of platform snobbery I thought I'd sign up here :D. By that, I mean the use of Mac's, and Unity3D.
Haha.

I pay my bills with C# and Unity3D. That makes it quite a bit harder to be a snob these days...
Armyof1
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Armyof1 »

Hello everyone! I have followed Gyro on teh youtubes and was actually inspired to take the plunge into programming and have started the trek into the World of c++ and SDL, as well as keeping my eye on that C# and unity business as well. I hope to grow and learn as a fellow programmer here.
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: BeatTapper
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#

Post by TheAustech »

GroundUpEngine wrote:Welcome new peeps! I agree nice avatars are awesome ;)
Your avatar is awesome
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Welcome to the forums Armyof1!
TheAustech wrote:
GroundUpEngine wrote:Welcome new peeps! I agree nice avatars are awesome ;)
Your avatar is awesome
:mrgreen:
Pentium4
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Pentium4 »

Hi, im Pentium4. I just joined today, im 13 and i want to become a programmer. I've been programming since i was 8, starting with simple batch scripts (i lol hard when i look back at them, "MESSENGER, SSL SECURE"), then i moved on to AutoIt, and then PHP. Over the last 5 years, I became fluent in: html/css, javascript, php, as3, freebasic, and I am currently learning C. I also learned completely on my own, without any assistance from parents, school, etc. So far, i have worked on several small projects in my spare time, although there are too many to list. A lot of work that i have done has been with FlockDraw, a collaborative drawing website where multiple people can draw something, in which I created an unofficial PHP API for flockdraw and made several different things such as bouncing balls, stars, random walk, lockdown screen, etc. Possibly the best thing that i have done so far with flockdraw was to create a mod of the whiteboard client, called flockhack, that added many new features to the originally very basic and limited client, such as an event log, enhanced chat with bbcode+automatic link detection, full color wheel, blur tool, and rgb/hsl sliders. At the moment, i am working on a complete rewrite of the entire whiteboard client.

My editors of choice:
HTML/CSS/PHP/JavaScript : NuSphere PHPEd
AS3 : Adobe Flash CS3
Freebasic : FbEdit
C : CodeBlocks
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Welcome Pentium4, nice stuff and only 13! ;)
Pentium4 wrote: C : CodeBlocks
aha sweet ^^
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

GroundUpEngine wrote:Welcome Pentium4, nice stuff and only 13! ;)
Just what I was thinking! That's quite a bit of experience you've got going on for your age man. Keep up the great work and you'll be headed off to any college you desire soon enough.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: