Mistakes in game design (whining newbie)

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

pubby8
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: Mistakes in game design

Post by pubby8 »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:
pubby8 wrote:Yes, I suppose so, however I would not call ourselves complete strangers now.
So, if that guy who told you that you walk wrong sat and chatted with you for 5 minutes, you'd then trust him enough? You're an idiot.
pubby8 wrote:@TheBuzzSaw:
I consider these to be seperate motivations:
*Yourself playing/enjoying the game (this is what I refer to as "Making a game for themselves")
*Other people playing/enjoying the game
*Learning
*Making money
*Achieving something in life
Everything we do (when given chance) we do 100% for ourself - we both misunderstood what other person meant.
What's your point?
If he told me he walked frequently and he explained he reasoning, then I would listen. Would I do everything he said - no- but I wouldn't get all upset that he criticized without proving himself. This is a silly analogy ;P

I want to be on same page and know what ES priorities/motivations are out of ones I listed.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

all of them but making money are the main ones, although learning, enjoying and achieving are at the top of the list (at least this is what I glean from their vids). However, as they've also said, if they can make money it's a plus.

Also, you have "explained your reasoning" and we have found it invalid or condescending. If you came in with honest criticisms with VALID points and you presented it as "I'd like to show you another way of doing it", and you then GIVE US SOMETHING aside from things that sound just slightly more intelligent than "you're wrong", they, I have no doubt, would listen, understand, and more importantly would most likely TAKE some of your advice.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

Yeah, fuck these guys for sharing their learning experiences with us.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Bakkon wrote:Yeah, fuck these guys for sharing their learning experiences with us.
Definitely, how dare they try to teach us stuff >:(
</sarcasm>
pubby8

Post by pubby8 »

@ginto:
Yes, I'm being blunt - get over it.
+1
Applies to both sides, and we've both been assholes about it.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

pubby8 wrote:
+1
Applies to both sides, and we've both been assholes about it.
ARE

YOU

SERIOUS?
pubby8

Post by pubby8 »

WHAT

DO

YOU

MEAN?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

pubby8 wrote:WHAT

DO

YOU

MEAN?
Probably the fact that you basically professed your own hypocrisy and negated the argument you've been trying to support for the last 3 pages of this post?
pubby8

Post by pubby8 »

GyroVorbis wrote:
pubby8 wrote:WHAT

DO

YOU

MEAN?
Probably the fact that you basically professed your own hypocrisy and negated the argument you've been trying to support for the last 3 pages of this post?
Uh, what? My whole argument has been on how I hate it how you share what you do? No, it has been on how you do what you do.
krilik
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES,PS1

Post by krilik »

I thought this was going to be a thread about actual mistakes in game design.

Like maybe something informative about common things that people do to design the actual game badly. You know, like what the thread title implies.

Instead of being terrible amateur advice on how to "design" games when literally all of the points have little to do with actual design.

Just saying. This thread was severely disappointing. But in retrospect the hilarity of watching someone without actual advice on game design giving advice on game design was somewhat gratifying. Not as painful as listening to Bearrick, but probably just as stupid.
TLcipher
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by TLcipher »

krilik wrote:I thought this was going to be a thread about actual mistakes in game design.

Like maybe something informative about common things that people do to design the actual game badly. You know, like what the thread title implies.

Instead of being terrible amateur advice on how to "design" games when literally all of the points have little to do with actual design.

Just saying. This thread was severely disappointing. But in retrospect the hilarity of watching someone without actual advice on game design giving advice on game design was somewhat gratifying. Not as painful as listening to Bearrick, but probably just as stupid.
I was just going to say this myself.

None of his points/reasons have anything to do with game design....