Our platform game!

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

like80ninjas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Our platform game!

Post by like80ninjas »

Okay guys, finally got a video up for the game we're working on. Just a little background, we are a team of two guys, I do all the programming, and the other does all of the art.

Youtube ruined the quality of the text... But I highly recommend full screen HD, because the game window is kinda small. The only other complaint I have is that camstudio made it seem laggy, but it really is very smooth. The only user I can have vouch for me is Trufun, as he has tested a demo. But anyway! Here it is, feedback please!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HTYWtX-QrI
Last edited by like80ninjas on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Re: MY game!

Post by k1net1k »

good job so far, keep it up :)
like80ninjas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: Our platform game!

Post by like80ninjas »

Just to add an update, I'm not going to make a video of this until more features are in, but the map editor can now load multiple maps, and it can output and make maps of variable sizes. It uses console input, which isn't pretty. But it works for us.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

like80ninjas wrote:only other complaint I have is that camstudio made it seem laggy, but it really is very smooth. The only user I can have vouch for me is Trufun, as he has tested a demo.
Yep, plays silky smooth. :mrgreen:

Great job, man - keep us posted!
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
civicdude95
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Prospectus
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#, Java

Post by civicdude95 »

Very nice demo. It's looking pretty good. Quick question, what language are you writing the editor in?
adikid89
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: small tiny-mini projects
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC I guess...
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by adikid89 »

civicdude95 wrote:Very nice demo. It's looking pretty good. Quick question, what language are you writing the editor in?
He said c++/sdl. You can also tell from the video :P
My first game C++/SDL Yoshi Combat! = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9mMBEWSZg
==============================================================
like80ninjas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by like80ninjas »

Yes, it's c++ and SDL for both the engine and the editor. I was going to throw in OpenGL but the features aren't really needed ( We are going for a retro-ish look), so basic 2d is all we really need. Thanks for the comments guys! Anymore questions feel free to ask, and I'll post here when I update the youtube.

...or you could always subscribe ;]
civicdude95
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Prospectus
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#, Java

Post by civicdude95 »

adikid89 wrote:
civicdude95 wrote:Very nice demo. It's looking pretty good. Quick question, what language are you writing the editor in?
He said c++/sdl. You can also tell from the video :P
like80ninjas wrote:Yes, it's c++ and SDL for both the engine and the editor. I was going to throw in OpenGL but the features aren't really needed ( We are going for a retro-ish look), so basic 2d is all we really need. Thanks for the comments guys! Anymore questions feel free to ask, and I'll post here when I update the youtube.

...or you could always subscribe ;]
Hey thanks guys! I'm trying to tear myself away from C# and XNA and get into "real" game development with c++/sdl. I've nearly got a full complete "hello world" type game (based on LusikaMage's Pickin' Sticks), and I'm ready to make my first platformer. I'm glad this forum is here because I will definitely have questions that need answering.
Thanks again guys and keep the updates coming.