My Own Lua Graphics Thing

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Re: My Own Lua Graphics Thing

Post by short »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Seriously, I respect "the original". I wouldn't cheat at all during a first playthrough. But seriously, don't lock down the Lua at all. No binary encryption nonsense.
Why it could be a fun project to decrypt it.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

... OK. You have your fun decrypting it. Get back to me when you've busted it, K?
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by short »

K

I'll twiddle my thumbs until its released.

... :nono:
Aleios
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Aleios Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast

Post by Aleios »

dandymcgee wrote:
TheBuzzSaw wrote:What's wrong with letting people tamper with them? ;)
Seriously. I understand the need to prevent mass pirating in commercial games, but I don't seen anything wrong with leaving some things to be modified. I also don't like being told I'm not allowed to break apart software (or hardware) I legally purchased for personal use.
The only time i would be giving an shit about locking up a game completely is when its an MMO. Otherwise, why not let people mod it? i mean, borderlands, bloody 2k decided to make a patch to prevent modding. Simple solution, add a way for people to mod the single player.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Even in MMOs, let players tweak the assets. Those don't affect gameplay all that much. Logic is often protected by the server anyway.
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by short »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Even in MMOs, let players tweak the assets. Those don't affect gameplay all that much. Logic is often protected by the server anyway.
That would lead to such an imbalance in some circumstances, consider the example of a "rare spawn" in an mmo. If you can tweak the assets, for example the objects model, and say quadruple his size, or his color, or really anything, it would make him much easier to find as he would be quadruple the size.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

short wrote:
TheBuzzSaw wrote:Even in MMOs, let players tweak the assets. Those don't affect gameplay all that much. Logic is often protected by the server anyway.
That would lead to such an imbalance in some circumstances, consider the example of a "rare spawn" in an mmo. If you can tweak the assets, for example the objects model, and say quadruple his size, or his color, or really anything, it would make him much easier to find as he would be quadruple the size.
Um... since when have rare spawns been difficult to spot? Every RPG I play, I can see all loot everywhere just fine. The drop rate is what makes it rare, not its visibility. -_-

Am I missing something?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Lol, that would NOT work.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Rapid Cube
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Rapid Cube »

MadPumpkin wrote:Ahh, so I read this, but it appears that you can convert .love files into .exe's because the game I downloaded made in love2D was a .exe file
You can't convert renamed zip folders into .exe files. You would have to include it in the .exe by using a resource script. Whether the game data is stored in a .love file or embedded in the executable, the same love2d "engine" is still required for the game to run. Love2d is very similar to flash.
Aleios
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Aleios Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast

Post by Aleios »

I would say to let people customize things like the GUI. The assets? sure, though even if you edit something like a model, the collision checking would be the same for the original model resulting in some weird looking collisions. So yea, assets probably fine to tweak, but the game would have been already built around the original assets. If you said, give the source out, then i would probably being going "ERR, THE FUCK?"
lotios611
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Game engine for the PC, PSP, and maybe more.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Gameboy Micro

Post by lotios611 »

I'm wondering if a Lua compiler would be possible. Not something like luac, that just turns the Lua code into bytecode, which the interpreter does anyways. I'm thinking something like ghc. Wouldn't that make Lua just as fast as C?
"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

lotios611 wrote:I'm wondering if a Lua compiler would be possible. Not something like luac, that just turns the Lua code into bytecode, which the interpreter does anyways. I'm thinking something like ghc. Wouldn't that make Lua just as fast as C?
HELL. FUCKING. NO.

There's more to speed than just turning something into machine code. Lua is dynamically typed. There would have to be a shitload of metadata and overhead associated with implicit type conversion, memory management, and tons of other high-level scripting language constructs that the language allows.

There's a reason that C/++ is so fast. Their complexity and the amount of explicit management left up to the programmer directly results in their performance.
Xeno
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Xeno »

GyroVorbis wrote:
lotios611 wrote:I'm wondering if a Lua compiler would be possible. Not something like luac, that just turns the Lua code into bytecode, which the interpreter does anyways. I'm thinking something like ghc. Wouldn't that make Lua just as fast as C?
HELL. FUCKING. NO.

There's more to speed than just turning something into machine code. Lua is dynamically typed. There would have to be a shitload of metadata and overhead associated with implicit type conversion, memory management, and tons of other high-level scripting language constructs that the language allows.

There's a reason that C/++ is so fast. Their complexity and the amount of explicit management left up to the programmer directly results in their performance.
I'm not gonna dissagree, but luaJit can do some pretty amazing things.

Here's an article I read recently that shows it compiling vector functions straight into pretty tight SIMD code: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lan ... eral/81280
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

:shock:

That's really badass.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

I had no idea luajit was so... awesome! That's damn nice.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup