Regular Expressions

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

X Abstract X
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Regular Expressions

Post by X Abstract X »

Not technically a programming question since this is a theoretical CS question, but sort of relevant.

I need to give a regular expression for a language that contains an odd number of 1's or exactly two 0's. The alphabet is {0, 1}.

Here's my attempt, idk if this is correct or not.

(1* 0 1* 0 1*) OR ( (0* 1 0* 1 0*)* 1 (0* 1 0* 1 0*)* )

Can anyone help me out? I'm new to this and could use some help getting on the right track.
Last edited by X Abstract X on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Regular Expressions

Post by LeonBlade »

X Abstract X wrote:Not technically a programming question since this is a theoretical CS question, but sort of relevant.

I need to give a regular expression for a language that contains an odd number of 1's or exactly two 2's. The alphabet is {0, 1}.

Can anyone help me out? I'm new to this and could use some help getting on the right track.
I'm trying really hard to read this, but with all the 1's 2's and 0's it's hard to see what you're asking. :lol:

What do you mean you have to "give" a regular expression for a language? What are you trying to match exactly? And is there any 2's or is it just a 0 and a 1 for the language?
There's no place like ~/
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Could you explain "for a language that contains and odd number of 1's or exactly two 2's. The alphabet is {0, 1}."?

Try providing us with some examples of what you'd like to be matched by the regular expression, and what you don't want to match.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I think he's in one of those way-the-fuck-too-abstract CS classes and is assuming that what he is doing is some sort of standard CS question... but it's not. =/

And I can't make heads or tails from the grammar/syntax of your "regular expression."
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

X Abstract X wrote:Not technically a programming question since this is a theoretical CS question, but sort of relevant.

I need to give a regular expression for a language that contains an odd number of 1's or exactly two 2's. The alphabet is {0, 1}.

I took a very similar class this summer, "Theory of Computation", class can go bite itself. However as it stands you have written a contradiction, sort of. If Sigma = {0, 1} then it not feasible two have any 2's, let alone exactly two 2's. I assume you meant something else?

However the set of possible answers would include:
1, 01, 10, 010, 001, 100, ... (thus the pattern we want to match is (0*10*)*

But we don't want to match an even number of one's, so we can't match the following pattern:
01010, 1010, 0110, 110, 11, 011, ... (thus the pattern we don't want to match is (0*10*10*)*

Unfortunately this approach isn't very helpful in finding the regex we desire in all cases. However, a DFA is. I'm going on the assumption that your class is similarly designed to mine, if not post back and I'll explain in more detail. I came up with the following DFA (for your given requirements, ignoring the "exactly two 2's")

Notice the '+' means OR. Also notice that the regex handles the case of just one 1, as well as every odd case beyond just 1. Ignore all the scratch work, the regex I believe you want is the one in red.

edit: whoops, I forgot a zero.. the regex you really want is
R = 0*10* + 0*10*(0*10*1)*
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell!!!!! :shock:

He blinded me with science...
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

Wow.
X Abstract X
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by X Abstract X »

Gah, I meant to write exactly two 0's. Thanks for all the replies, I skimmed them and short seems to know exactly what I'm talking about. Gonna read your reply in more detail and reply back. The class I'm in is also called Theory of Computation.

Edit: Thank you very much short! The key is to construct the DFA instead of trying to reason through it in my head :P
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

I can't quite seem to get the same answer as short, but if I'm looking at this correctly, the right regex is:

Code: Select all

(0*10*(10*10*)*)|(1*01*01*)
This is for the whole problem, including the "or exactly 2 zeros".
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by short »

I don't have time to go back and do the work again, but it seems like you figured it out. Glad to help!!
X Abstract X
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by X Abstract X »

Yep, thanks short. You're example was great, showed me how to use a DFA to get my regex :D

Ginto, that's the same answer that I got :)
Last edited by X Abstract X on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

I have no clue what the hell just happened in this topic. I'm just glad Short is a psychic savant. If these forums had a reputation rating, he would have just gained a lot of it.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

dandymcgee wrote:I have no clue what the hell just happened in this topic. I'm just glad Short is a psychic savant. If these forums had a reputation rating, he would have just gained a lot of it.
+1 Reputation
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by short »

k1net1k wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:I have no clue what the hell just happened in this topic. I'm just glad Short is a psychic savant. If these forums had a reputation rating, he would have just gained a lot of it.
+1 Reputation
lol don't make me blush. :oops: I do think psychic savant would make an awesome forum title...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

short wrote:
k1net1k wrote:
+1 Reputation
lol don't make me blush. :oops: I do think psychic savant would make an awesome forum title...
:whistle: