I've been getting ideas for a badass new DC homebrew.

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

I've been getting ideas for a badass new DC homebrew.

Post by Falco Girgis »

I don't know if I'll do this with Null, push Null to the side and do it before Null, or after the completion of Null. One thing is certain, I'll most likely end up doing this.

I know everybody here has played the original Zelda. I wanna make my own original Zelda (no copyright infringements please! I won't even call it Zelda). Anyway, it'd be hella easy to program and it's fun.

I want it to be one gigantic world like it was on the NES. The overworld is giant and vast (easily done) so that you never run out of room to explore. Then, you could easily throw in a slew of secrets and side quests and stuff.

The VMU could be used as a minimap or something. That'd be hella tight.

If I wanted to take it more in the RPG direction, it'd actually be fairly easy to turn it into like a Zelda/Poke'mon-ish thing.

I don't know, but this would really be an easy feat. The game would be enjoyable, gigantic, long, and just plain awesome. It'd also be easy on the developers and designing your own levels and/or areas in the game would be like a peice of cake.

You could even have the Poke'mon secret base thing going on, just so many possibilities.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Dang it. Sometimes good ideas are the fall of us. Will we ever finish a project? Sometimes its just so tempting to simply forget about the current project and work on something cooler. Thats the only thing I hate about game dev, you tell people you are working on some game, and then you get kinda forced to finish it because nondevelopers don't understand why you quit.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

tru dat, my friend.

It seems the Null editor has given me plenty of incentive to go on though. I'm more motivated to make Null kick ass than ever now.

You can look forward to probably seeing a game of the sort that I just described one day, but not until my baby, Null, is done.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

Don't forget NEStix. We've got to put that in to consideration too.
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I'm pretty sure Nestix is dead foo.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Oh...

Dammit. I worked forever on those tile editage things and those sprites. :cry:
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

spideyspiderman2000 wrote:Oh...

Your kidding right? :?
1st_Movement
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by 1st_Movement »

*sigh* im afraid thats going to happen to me when i start programming...I tend to forget about stuff...

by the way...waht is null? :oops: dont hurt me!! :?

hope the project goes well...
want a cookie?

i love to write. if you love to read, PM me. :)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Thanks.

I recommend you look at the official Null topic in DC Development. Null is going to be a MegaMan/Metroid-ish 2D platformer that is hopefully fully moddable.

I'm planning on a PC port after I'm through with the DC version and both should run identical.

The actual game/engine is on hold right now and I'm working on the PC level editor for it so I can get people not only beta testing, but making levels for Null so that by the time I'm done with the game the editor will be bug free and we'll have some nice levels.

Also, I might temporarily be breaking from Null (or working on this on the sidelines) because of a nice little surprise JSL and I have been talking about in the secret dev forum. A certain Namco and Hudson mascot might star in this title... :wink:
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

JS Lemming wrote:

What's that supposed to mean? Ok, maybe the sprites weren't that great, but those edited tiles took some time. I don't mean when I made them darker, I mean when I actually did it right.

I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Guys, I really wouldn't say that NEStix is dead. It's just that I really don't think a GIGANTIC project is really in line for a site that hasn't even made an impact on the scene or created anything else to contribute in any way.

We're already damn occupied with Null and the chainsaw game. I'd love to see NEStix happen, and I'll be more than glad to do it in the future, but we've got a strategy and that kind of huge, arduous project isn't in our best interest just yet.

I know you don't know what I'm talking about, but trust me, we talked it over in a secret forum.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

spideyspiderman2000 wrote:
JS Lemming wrote:

What's that supposed to mean? Ok, maybe the sprites weren't that great, but those edited tiles took some time. I don't mean when I made them darker, I mean when I actually did it right.
Here is where the problem arises. You took a mario sprite sheet and put some cracks in it. But there wasn't even going to be a place in the game with cracked mario tiles. So.... it kinda doesn't have a point.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Fine. But look, the sprites I made were SUPPOSED to look like NES sprites. Geno was easy when he was looking straight at you, but Geno's always facing diagonally, and making him perfectly face to the right was hard. Okay? Sorry for getting pissed off. Just reading"You're kidding right?" made me all pissed off. I know they don't seem like it, but those sprites were tough to make.

I HATE Jack Thompson!
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Aight.