Finally the computer science team pays off!

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Finally the computer science team pays off!

Post by Falco Girgis »

Seriously, all those hours after school on Tuesdays are paying off.

Tomorrow night is a competition. They're going to lock my team and I (3 people I believe, but all skilled) in a classroom of some fancy, private school for two hours. Our team is given a set of programs to do and one laptop.

You have to complete them within the time limit and you're graded on quality of the code instead of just whether it works or not.

We've decided that one team member will be typing the crap out and the other two can be working the programs out on the classroom whiteboard (or playing hangman or who's that poke'mon of course). I'm going to bring some bawls and stuff. Caffiene high is always good for competition.

As if that wasn't good enough, the awards ceremony happens to be during Wednesday. It only lasts an hour but we get a school field trip of the whole day. That's right, we go to the awards ceremony for an hour, then the team is going to eat at Hardees and blow the rest of the day at the mall playing in the arcades. We'll have them all to ourselves since everybody will be at school.

Then, we go back to school and have a perfecly excused absense that counts as us being at school.

Oh, that sounds like lots of fun...
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Your living the good life fool. CHS ... burn..
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

Alabama must be so much better than Tennessee.
This is a joke about unfunny jokes. And bad use of irony.

Post by Guest »

Amen Wutai. :)
vmrob
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by vmrob »

that sucks. i hate it. but good luck.. it seems that ms. roundtree forgot me in the list of people that are going and now i am left alone and can't go and do cool things.
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

Wilson_industries wrote:that sucks. i hate it. but good luck.. it seems that ms. roundtree forgot me in the list of people that are going and now i am left alone and can't go and do cool things.
That's similar to when some of the students in my grade got to go to the Land Between the Lakes for three days. For some reason, I didn't get to go.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Yeah, we ended up going today. It felt so great to go to school with nothing but a GameBoy Advance, $17, and a case of Bawls gaurana. We showed up and rode with Mrs. Rountree all the way there doing nothing but play GBA SP and DS.

Once there we got mounds and mounds off free stuff. It was a technology expo and all the big companies were there to bribe the people with free goods. It was like Halloween--we ran around with open bags getting candy and little electronic goods. Oh glory!

Then, in the end I ended up winning 3rd place in the technology test (random test administered about computer components and stuff--we thought nobody from our school would win so we sorta blew it off). That was random and I wouldn't of expected it.

Then our team won 2nd place for the programming competition. That means we're going to nationals.

I got a ribbon, a trophy, and I get another trophy when Mrs. Rountree gets done with it.

I feel like our programming team really could've pwned them though. We just weren't prepared for pure C string whore-age. I swear, whoever makes the competition gets sexual pleasure from strings. It's really, really bad. Oh well, now we can study and kick some major ass at state. We leave for Montgomery Alabama April 24th and get home the 25th.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I dispise working with strings along with fprint(). Congrats on the awards though.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Wilson_industries, you should be glad you didn't go to the thing at night.

It was late at night and we were all tired, everybody knows that a great programmer needs their caffeine. We had none. We were in a cramped room with one computer.

All that we did was have one guy working and the other drawing Poke'mon on the board or occassionally looking over their shoulder and saying "Haha, you mispelled cout!"

Don't get me wrong, we all did program and we deserve that award, but I feel like the whole system is very innefficient.

Also, the judges were 80+ year old programmers who probably had absolutely no C/++ interest at all. I'm pretty sure they were all just scripting whores who work with databases...
vmrob
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by vmrob »

well.. hmm... ok. but i still wish i could have missed school
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

Why don't you name a few of your goodies?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

a few:

toy rocket
boatloads of candy
laser pen
flashlight
mouse pad
T-shirt
tape measurer
leveler
FredDibnah
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by FredDibnah »

Yesterday, my school band missed school because we got to go to perform in a concert and then go to Mr. Gatti's.