CVS

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

CVS

Post by MarauderIIC »

Just as a point, if you're planning on letting more than one person code on a project, you probably want to host it on a CVS. You can run one off your webserver maybe or probably more likely off your own computer. Might do some research, but here's a few sites to get you started.

https://www.cvshome.org/ <-main
And a sourceforge project
http://sourceforge.net/projects/simplecvs/

I don't know how to get one started and running on a windows machine, that's the problem :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Whoah! My apologies, Mar, I think I overlooked this topic a long time ago.

I came in here to post something for the first time in awhile, for some reason this topic was marked as read.

That looks really useful.

I want to give it a try in a few. I've been meaning to start using Knoppix (self-contained Linux that runs off of a CD) to build my Dreamcast toolchain and all of that junk because Cygwin is messy.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Yeah something's screwy with the forums. Just noticed that about 80% of things I haven't read are marked as read.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!

Post by Guest »

If you close the forum window without actually logging off, it'll detect you as still being on for about five minutes before disconnecting you. When it does that, it marks everything as read. O.o

What's a CVS? I'd like a larger explanation please...
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Concurrent Version System. The idea is that you have a bunch of people working on a project, and they can all code at the same time. You log on, get the most recent version of code, code it, and type a phrase or two to upload it back. When it is uploaded, the CVS merges/alters their files with the ones already existing (intelligently?). Never had any problems when I was using one.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.

Post by Guest »

That's pretty cool. That means that the developers don't have to be on at the same time to swich-fuse their code together, right? They just go to the board, edit/add their part, and the other user can retrieve it whenever they want?

If that's what it is, then that's pretty cool. I've sure never heard of one.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

It's file-based though, not board-based.