Paintown on your handheld devices, psp,DS, htc, iphone

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Paintown on your handheld devices, psp,DS, htc, iphone

Post by eatcomics »

Long story short, you will probably be rewriting the engine over for most of the consoles... The DS is definitely not worth it, the Iphone would be cool, but it would be a lot of work, plus controls could be a bitch, you never know
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Re: Paintown on your handheld devices, psp,DS, htc, iphone

Post by Ginto8 »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Ginto8 wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Ah, he didn't really introduce that fact until the last paragraph. I guess I missed it.

It would take quite a bit of work to get it on an iDevice, considering Apple's stance on runtime interpretation. I would have to argue that putting this on DS is not going to be technically feasible.
it would probably be feasible, but you'd have to specialize it for DS, and set up the engine to use fixed point rather than floating point. The real question would be if it would be worthwhile to put this on DS.
I disagree.

It uses Python scripting extensively, supports things like DYNAMIC LIGHTING, runs at a waaay higher resolution, and probably loads spritesheets that are big enough that one sheet would fill the DS's VRAM WITH a palette employed (look at the animations in the videos, the textures must be gigantic).

A DS "version" could definitely be possible, but it would definitely not be using the same engine for the most part, and would certainly not be using any of the same assets (which is a pretty big deal).
good point. yeah big spritesheets & dynamic lighting would just fail on DS.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.