Structure of a Game Engine?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Structure of a Game Engine?

Post by dandymcgee »

GroundUpEngine wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:than a working engine using the same ideas used by games in the early 90's.
This is kinda true, but I would say that's a little exaggerated. Engine programmers these days try to be creative or even innovative with thier ideas and implementations, e.g. looking at current/future hardware and seeing how it can be taken advantage of.
Of course, there is no cover-all solution, I was directing it particularly towards someone who has no experience what-so-ever in engine programming, and in the worst case scenario programming in general. It was more of a, "I now know from experience that if you have to ask the question, you probably aren't ready." perspective. Questions are great, when they have a focal point. Questions about the general theory of anything are almost never helpful to either the asker or anyone attempting to answer (ie. "How does biology work?", "Who invented walking?", "I'm trying to come up with a proof that gravity and magnetism are only related in the 6th dimension of time, can someone please help?")
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Structure of a Game Engine?

Post by GroundUpEngine »

dandymcgee wrote:
GroundUpEngine wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:than a working engine using the same ideas used by games in the early 90's.
This is kinda true, but I would say that's a little exaggerated. Engine programmers these days try to be creative or even innovative with thier ideas and implementations, e.g. looking at current/future hardware and seeing how it can be taken advantage of.
Of course, there is no cover-all solution, I was directing it particularly towards someone who has no experience what-so-ever in engine programming, and in the worst case scenario programming in general. It was more of a, "I now know from experience that if you have to ask the question, you probably aren't ready." perspective. Questions are great, when they have a focal point. Questions about the general theory of anything are almost never helpful to either the asker or anyone attempting to answer (ie. "How does biology work?", "Who invented walking?", "I'm trying to come up with a proof that gravity and magnetism are only related in the 6th dimension of time, can someone please help?")
I see what your gettin' at, well said ;)