Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by mgold07 »

xD, that is so active like, omgah! xD
Greatness comes once every lifetime, as the nice lord bj proves this, nobody can be great more than once in their lifetime, he had his day, his birth was great. It caused awesomeness to die, and programmers to shudder. For a day that is...

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/mgold07.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">mgold07.</iframe>
mimir
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mimir »

Many greetings mortals. I have been following "Adventures in Game Development" since the second or third video. I have joined the forums since I am about to start working on a game, probably targeting the NDS or prehaps the Pandora.

A little about myself. Well, I'm in my early 20s, living in Germany, studying Computer Science at University. Currently working for a year in the industry as part of that degree.

I am a reasonably competent programmer but game dev is all quite new to me, so hopefully you guys could give me a few pointers in the future. :bow:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Welcome to the forums mgold07 and mimir! :)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Welcome mimir! Cool-looking avatar.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

Un newb to another newb, welcome, and :shock2: awesome avatar ^^
Greatness comes once every lifetime, as the nice lord bj proves this, nobody can be great more than once in their lifetime, he had his day, his birth was great. It caused awesomeness to die, and programmers to shudder. For a day that is...

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/mgold07.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">mgold07.</iframe>
mimir
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mimir »

mgold07 wrote:Un newb to another newb, welcome, and :shock2: awesome avatar ^^
Thanks everyone and welcome to the forum mgold! :mrgreen:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Since you seem like an intelligent person, and a very self confident one as well, I have decided to affiliate with you. Welcome to the forums my friend :lol:
Venom
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Venom »

Hello Chaos Rift

I`m currently studying to make to the college

In the meanwhile...trying to learn some OpenGL and C/++ to make games and stuff (didn`t start SDL yet cause my first impression was that SDL is too much high level...same with Allegro...but i haven`t read almost anything about it, so i`m probably wrong)

Anyway, i have some experience in making softwares in VB, Java, and in C (but i was using Borland C till a little time ago, so newbie at graphics area ^^)

I`m developing a game (like http://www.ogame.us) in php/javascript/MySQL and the possible version 2.0 will be with Flash/XML to put sounds and stuff in the game...but right now, i`m making the system of the game to start with the engine XD

Still there is muuuuch to learn before complete it and pass to 2D/3D game dev...so here I am ^^
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Venom wrote:Hello Chaos Rift

In the meanwhile...trying to learn some OpenGL and C/++ to make games and stuff (didn`t start SDL yet cause my first impression was that SDL is too much high level...same with Allegro...but i haven`t read almost anything about it, so i`m probably wrong)

Anyway, i have some experience in making softwares in VB, Java, and in C (but i was using Borland C till a little time ago, so newbie at graphics area ^^)

I`m developing a game (like http://www.ogame.us) in php/javascript/MySQL and the possible version 2.0 will be with Flash/XML to put sounds and stuff in the game...but right now, i`m making the system of the game to start with the engine XD

Still there is muuuuch to learn before complete it and pass to 2D/3D game dev...so here I am ^^
OGL is actually harder than SDL/Allegro... Try checking out these tutorials. Lazyfoo, the guy who made them, is great at what he does. ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Venom
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Venom »

Ginto8 wrote:
Venom wrote:Hello Chaos Rift

OGL is actually harder than SDL/Allegro... Try checking out these tutorials. Lazyfoo, the guy who made them, is great at what he does. ;)
Thanks for the tip :) ...btw the "high level" that i said is like high level programming language (Dark Basic, Blitz, etc.), not like high level of difficulty XDD
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Venom wrote:btw the "high level" that i said is like high level programming language (Dark Basic, Blitz, etc.), not like high level of difficulty XDD
Actually, all three (OGL, SDL, Allegro) are fairly low-level, unlike things such as Ogre3D. ;) :mrgreen:

Edit: And welcome to the forums. ;)
Last edited by Ginto8 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Welcome to the forums, Venom.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Venom
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Venom »

Ginto8 wrote:
Venom wrote:btw the "high level" that i said is like high level programming language (Dark Basic, Blitz, etc.), not like high level of difficulty XDD
Actually, all three (OGL, SDL, Allegro) are fairly low-level, unlike things such as Ogre3D. ;) :mrgreen:

Edit: And welcome to the forums. ;)
That`s good to hear...and Thanks :)
MarauderIIC wrote:Welcome to the forums, Venom.
Thanks...big fan of Elysian Shadows dev team

Keep up the great work XD
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

Hello! I am Josh, my youtube account is MurlocObama, incase anyone has seen me posting on Falco's videos.
i just thought that i would tell everyone about myself.
i am a programmer in various languages, i have recently started learning C/++ and i still suck, so i will be asking
many questions and trying to answer some to. I have been known for my assy-ness so if i am getting a little rude,
please let me know.
Current Projects:
I am currently doing a shitload of random programs and games to get the hang of C and C++ but i seriously started like... a week ago

One project that im actually doing, which will have a level editor(i say that because it will be the first that I made), it is a top-down/birds eye view,
shooter game. Based off of an escaped army project dude running from the American feds.

and i am also wanting to start making a game in C++ about a person lost in wilderness.
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Aww ha. I've seen your posts around, and kept wondering if I somehow missed your introduction? haha

Anyway, welcome. And yes, I DO remember you from youtube. Glad you decided to join the forums. ;p

Also, escaped army game sounds fun, probably a good learning project too. Though if you don't have a whole lot of C++ experience, I'd probably recommend text based first. ;p

Anyway, good luck and again welcome.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt