Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by MadPumpkin »

[quote="Arce"]Aww ha. I've seen your posts around, and kept wondering if I somehow missed your introduction? haha
Anyway, welcome. And yes, I DO remember you from youtube. Glad you decided to join the forums. ;p
quote]
I actually wanted to join a couple weeks ago, jsut to lazy lol.
Arce, just wanted to let you know, i am a HUGE fan lol. kinda sounds stalker-ish, but ever since i found out what the fuck mapedit.exe was for in my StarCraft directory i have been making levels for every game i own, and one day i was making a video in Flash8 and decided... "im going to learn to make a game!"

now i've decided to make my own editor and i hope that you might help me a little bit here and there :}
and again,
big fan, Josh
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

MadPumpkin wrote:
Arce wrote:Aww ha. I've seen your posts around, and kept wondering if I somehow missed your introduction? haha
Anyway, welcome. And yes, I DO remember you from youtube. Glad you decided to join the forums. ;p
quote]
I actually wanted to join a couple weeks ago, jsut to lazy lol.
Arce, just wanted to let you know, i am a HUGE fan lol. kinda sounds stalker-ish, but ever since i found out what the fuck mapedit.exe was for in my StarCraft directory i have been making levels for every game i own, and one day i was making a video in Flash8 and decided... "im going to learn to make a game!"

now i've decided to make my own editor and i hope that you might help me a little bit here and there :}
and again,
big fan, Josh
Good to know that I'm not marcel's only fan, "LEAVE MARCEL ALOOOONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
BlueMonkey5
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by BlueMonkey5 »

I heard about this forum, and've been looking all over for it. Finally found it.

Well, hello everyone, nice to join you. I'm from Ny and here's my story. I want to go to school for graphic design and want to to be a concept and graphic artist for game development. It's an old dream I've had and I've tossed it away for several years. I want to pick it back up, allthough I've wasted so much time which makes it hard to do. But I'm gonna give it my best shot and not give up no matter what happens.

If you don't see me answering many of your questions, it's cause I don't know much about game development, but thats why I'm here I guess. So, I hope to learn how to be a pretty mean game artist soon, and hopefully do some cool projects.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Kros »

Hey all,

Figured I'd throw a more formalized "Hey, I'm new here". I go by Kros, I've been buzzing around here and IRC for awhile now. Mostly interested in the dev series because of the deeper focus on programming aspects than most youtube devving.

Very much like the great community you've got here, I hope to be a big part of it. :)
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
YenTex
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by YenTex »

Hello, there, I'm a semi-noob to devving
I know a little bit of C++, and i am learning BlitzPlus
Hope to meet a lot of cool people here

-[RAIDEN]
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Welcome, Raiden. Hi officially, Kros :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Welcome, all.

I'm not usually a lurker here (as I have been the last week). I (and it seems most of the ES dev team) have been insanely busy lately. If forums seem inactive, trust me, we're here and read it all, we're just busy lurkers. XD

Things'll cool-down for me in a few days, hopefully.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
liveordie2112
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Give it up for the Snes and the n64 :D
Programming Language of Choice: C++, and Lua

Post by liveordie2112 »

hi I'm new here and i'm a big fan of Gyrovorbis and his team, as well as lusikkamage. I've been programming in C++ for about four months and I'm not that great yet. I recently started learning allegro with c++ and i use dev-c++, codeblocks, or microsoft visual C++. To clarify my screenname i bit, my friend would come up to me and put me in a chokehold and say live or die! live or die! live or die! and if i said live he would let me go so no harm there but it was pretty funny.

by the way what is a farewell thread/post?
and by the way did you know you're reading my signature?

aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

liveordie2112 wrote:hi I'm new here and i'm a big fan of Gyrovorbis and his team, as well as lusikkamage. I've been programming in C++ for about four months and I'm not that great yet. I recently started learning allegro with c++ and i use dev-c++, codeblocks, or microsoft visual C++. To clarify my screenname i bit, my friend would come up to me and put me in a chokehold and say live or die! live or die! live or die! and if i said live he would let me go so no harm there but it was pretty funny.

Welcome. I'm sure you'll find lots of knowledgeable people here (myself not included). I have just started with C++ after doing a few basic languages (Blitz, etc.) and Python, so I'm sure you're more versed on that than myself.

A farewell thread is posting saying you're leaving the forums - it's just a superfluous post that wastes space on the forums, don't do it. ;)
liveordie2112
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by liveordie2112 »

aamesxdavid wrote:
liveordie2112 wrote:hi I'm new here and i'm a big fan of Gyrovorbis and his team, as well as lusikkamage. I've been programming in C++ for about four months and I'm not that great yet. I recently started learning allegro with c++ and i use dev-c++, codeblocks, or microsoft visual C++. To clarify my screenname i bit, my friend would come up to me and put me in a chokehold and say live or die! live or die! live or die! and if i said live he would let me go so no harm there but it was pretty funny.

Welcome. I'm sure you'll find lots of knowledgeable people here (myself not included). I have just started with C++ after doing a few basic languages (Blitz, etc.) and Python, so I'm sure you're more versed on that than myself.

A farewell thread is posting saying you're leaving the forums - it's just a superfluous post that wastes space on the forums, don't do it. ;)

i may be a little more expierienced with c++ but i have no clue about programming in python or blitz although i know what they are so that's pretty cool on your part

if you know python research a program called "blender" you can make 3d graphics and stuff and i heard nasa uses python too.

and thanks about the farewell post info :mrgreen:

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Welcome to the cult, new folk. I'm going to need you to sign a contract of servitude (in blood). Oh, I also need your first born...

Standard procedures, y'know. :mrgreen:
liveordie2112
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by liveordie2112 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Welcome to the cult, new folk. I'm going to need you to sign a contract of servitude (in blood). Oh, I also need your first born...

Standard procedures, y'know. :mrgreen:
haha sweet :mrgreen:

Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Maevik »

so um, hello

I'm Chris, I recently jumped into programming (I'm about 6 weeks into my first C++ course) and have really found a passion for it. I've been working ahead in the book, writing a lot of my own stuff and watching a lot of the C++ tutorials on YouTube. These guys showed up a lot in the "Related Video's" box. Eventually I came across Gyro's casts on "Getting Into Game Development" and found a lot of it to be helpful. That got me watching the "AIGD" stuff. Although it's taken a lot of time from working on my programming, I'm a big fan of what you're all doing. This is really cool stuff, I'm excited to see where it goes and how far you can take it.
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
Arti-Ravnos
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, NDS, PC
Programming Language of Choice: Actionscript 3

Arti-Ravnos - I'm new

Post by Arti-Ravnos »

Hi, I'm new and just turned 18 years old almost two hours ago (following my time zone). :mrgreen:
I'm currently reading "C++: A Beginner's Guide", by Schildt so I'm not an experienced programmer. Even though I have had a glimpse at programming languages like C++ and Java earlier, I never found time to learn it properly. I have made some small games in Flash 8 by using Actionscript, but now I finally decided that I'm going to learn a real programming language to make games and other applications. The last year I've been visiting the forum several times a week, but I never dared to register. (Perhaps have to much respect for you guys and don't want to feel like a total programming noob, even though I am ;))

In the end I want to say that I love the "Adventures in Game Development"-series (been watching it for about two years I guess). You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work! :)
“Should array indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was rejected without, I thought, proper consideration.”
(Stan Kelly-Bootle)