The Official Golvellius Thread

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: The Official Golvellius Thread

Post by K-Bal »

Scheiße :D
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Incase you haven't noticed, I posted a new Golvellius video in the News section! :mrgreen:
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

This project is looking VERY nice. I LOVE the new editor, the in game LUA editor is an amazing idea. The art looks good for a programmer. It looks good fro anything less then a professional to be honest. You use milkshape correct?
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

MadPumpkin wrote:This project is looking VERY nice. I LOVE the new editor, the in game LUA editor is an amazing idea. The art looks good for a programmer. It looks good fro anything less then a professional to be honest. You use milkshape correct?
Why thank you, sir! Yep, Milkshape for modeling and CharacterFX for animating. Speaking of which, I haven't created a new model in a while, it might be time! ;)
-Chris

Pyrogre
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Pyrogre »

Sorry if some of this has already been answered, but I'm building a game using Ogre as well and have a few questions on what libraries you are using to build your game.

I'm mainly wondering if you're using the Newton physics library. It seems to be the popular choice, and in my limited testing with it (building simple car and plane physics, collisions, etc.) I'm pretty sold on it so far.

Also, are you using CEGUI? I don't really like it, it seems kind of like a dirty approach that was hodge-podged in. I was looking at some of the alternatives, namely QuickGUI, which integrates directly into Ogre and has a much cleaner API. It's still pretty much in its infancy though, and so naturally it doesn't have all the capabilities CEGUI has, nor an easy editor program. I still haven't decided on what to use for a GUI yet, was just wondering what you use.

And finally, are you using the OIS library for input or something like SDL? It doesn't sound like you are since you didn't have sound at first. So far I'm only using OIS and it's working just fine (as long as the input is buffered of course). The only problem with OIS obviously would be that it has no sound library. I'm unclear on if you've introduced sound into your game yet, but if you did, are you using the FMOD library or something else?
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

I'm using OgreODE as my physics engine. It was the first one I tried and it got the job done, so I haven't done much research on any others. OgreODE was pretty straight forward. I think I had it integrated within a few hours.

So far, I haven't implemented CEGUI, but that's because I haven't needed to. My chat windows and Lua Editor are just Ogre Overlays. When I build the inventory screen I might use something like CEGUI, so I can use the mouse cursor as the interface.

I'm using OIS for input, it works great for me. I've never tried SDL, but I know it's pretty popular around here. Right now, Golvellius is still silent. In the boss video, the audio was added in "post-production" just to see if I liked 8-bit sound in a 3D game. My plan is to eventually use OpenAL for audio.
-Chris

trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

So I was doing some Golvellius research today (yes, development is once again underway! ::slowly but surely::), and guess what I stumbled upon:

Golvellius has been ported to the iPhone and iPod Touch! :shock:

As soon as I saw that I dropped everything I was doing and downloaded the game on my Touch. I gotta say, it's a solid port. The controls take some getting used to - I was getting owned in the first dungeon, which is usually a breeze with the SMS controller. And unfortunately, the music leaves much to be desired...especially if you're a fan of the original soundtrack. While the tunes are technically the same, they are all MIDI translations that just can't compete with the original. With that said, the game has never looked better. The game looks crystal clear on the smallscreen and the cutscenes have been nicely redone with a clean menu system. The game also allows for 3 save slots - which beats the hell out of writing down 20+ character passwords.

I thought this was pretty damn cool. If you've been interested in trying the game, and you don't have a Master System, give it a shot! But, please note, the SMS version is still king! ;)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/golvelli ... 85051?mt=8

EDIT: Yes, I realize that this has very little to do with my game, but this is "The Official Golvellius Thread", so I guess it fits. ;)
-Chris

GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Epic man! Nice Work :)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Wow, I think I just might download it when I get home. I've been looking for an excuse to actually play the game (I know, that sounds bad). What better excuse than I'm sitting in class bored, and it's in my pocket?
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GroundUpEngine wrote:Epic man! Nice Work :)
heh, well I did nothing but spread the word. DotEmu gets all the credit for the port.
-Chris

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

@Tru

Awesome I might just DL that hmm... I'll tell you if and when I get it, need something to do before school starts and while I'm waiting for my ride :P
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

WOW that looks damn nice, i'm gonna have to get myself a copy right now...
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

eatcomics wrote:@Tru

Awesome I might just DL that hmm... I'll tell you if and when I get it, need something to do before school starts and while I'm waiting for my ride :P
Well my friend is taking back his iTouch soon, so I won't bother...
Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: C++/SDL engine, zaActionWizardMagic game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, mac and PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Sanshin77 »

Kinda off-topic:
GyroVorbis wrote:Wow, I think I just might download it when I get home. I've been looking for an excuse to actually play the game (I know, that sounds bad). What better excuse than I'm sitting in class bored, and it's in my pocket?
Square Enix released Final Fantasy I and II with updated graphics for the iPhone, some days ago. Those with an iPhone or iPod touch should be interested, atleast I loved playing FFI on my GBA, I think I'm buying II for my iPhone now.

Final Fantasy I:
http://itunes.apple.com/no/app/final-fa ... 72939?mt=8
Final Fantasy II:
http://itunes.apple.com/no/app/final-fa ... 74729?mt=8
Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zanchill
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

Sanshin77 wrote:Kinda off-topic:
GyroVorbis wrote:Wow, I think I just might download it when I get home. I've been looking for an excuse to actually play the game (I know, that sounds bad). What better excuse than I'm sitting in class bored, and it's in my pocket?
Square Enix released Final Fantasy I and II with updated graphics for the iPhone, some days ago. Those with an iPhone or iPod touch should be interested, atleast I loved playing FFI on my GBA, I think I'm buying II for my iPhone now.

Final Fantasy I:
http://itunes.apple.com/no/app/final-fa ... 72939?mt=8
Final Fantasy II:
http://itunes.apple.com/no/app/final-fa ... 74729?mt=8
I have FF I and II for psp, if their anywhere near as good on the iphone then theyll be epic.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup