Adventures in Game Development

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Adventures in Game Development

Post by eatcomics »

GyroVorbis wrote:Art is the biggest factor. You're bitching to the wrong side of the team.
Yeah but the artists hide in the private development forums... CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The internet can't hold us all back!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I think you may have made a mention to the open art position in your video(s), but perhaps an all-out video for just that purpose? I know there are loads of people just WAITING for anything new from you, and it would get a nice number of views rather quickly. Maybe you'll get lucky and make a new friend who can also draw. :mrgreen:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

And since we're waiting for art to do ch16 anyway.... ...
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

C'mon art monkeys! Start banging those rocks and sticks together and make some beautiful art. We need some Ep 16 in here. :)
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Still no art.

And another applicant went idle.

Luckily a new one looks promising thus far.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Arce wrote:Still no art.

If they're not really interested then why the hell do they apply in the first place? Surely they understand you guys aren't joking around and need someone with some serious commitment? If I thought I had the ability I'd have applied a long time ago, but unfortunately I don't. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

dandymcgee wrote:

Surely they understand you guys aren't joking around and need someone with some serious commitment?
Obviously not.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

MarauderIIC wrote:Obviously not.
That's the biggest problem I've seen with recruiting help from the net. Most who respond are "OH YAYZ IMA WORK ONA VIDEO GAM!" flash in the pans who don't pull through when they realize it's work and requires a commitment. I've had my share of projects crash and burn because of people bailing on me. If I had the gray matter to learn coding I'd do a one man show, but sadly I am only a poly monkey. Maybe I'm being to harsh but that's how it seems a lot of the time.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

You can't do spriting, can you? :)
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Have you guys advertised outside of the community, such as popular Dreamcast dev communities maybe? Something that would generate the same type of interest in your project?

We can't help it if we're talentless D:
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Arce

Post by Arce »

dandymcgee wrote:

If they're not really interested then why the hell do they apply in the first place? Surely they understand you guys aren't joking around and need someone with some serious commitment? If I thought I had the ability I'd have applied a long time ago, but unfortunately I don't. ;)
Well, we're very tough on applicants, I confess. We're looking for a style that matches US and somebody we're willing to share all of our hard work with. Most everybody who've applied are highly talented and some could even make it in the real industry...But it doesn't help us at all if it's the wrong art style or doesn't fit our engine. ;p
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

MarauderIIC wrote:You can't do spriting, can you? :)
I used to do a lot of sprite work a few years back. I'm decent at it but I'd imagine that I've become damn rusty. Lately my sprite work has only consisted of Sprite editing for an animation I had to shelf when my last computer bit the dust. Thankfully I can pick it up again see if I remember where I left off.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Well can I see some examples of what you are looking for? I used to be pretty good at art, but I have to be drawing all the time, and I never really spend much time or effort on sprites and such... So maybe with a little example of what you're looking for I could be motivated to help out (rather know wether I have the talent to help) ;)
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

It's hard -- for me -- to say what exactly we're looking for, besides pixel art sprites. Something that fits with Jools' existing art style. Sort of darkish, not very cartoony. If you're interested, see the global announcement post thingy.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

is someone going to accept me into said group??? ;)