What Would You Tell Your Highschool Self?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: What Would You Tell Your Highschool Self?

Post by avansc »

the last one is the best advice.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

vargonian wrote: Don't be pathetic with regard to girls. Don't latch on to one girl to obsess over; it's not worth it. Keep your options open.
I don't know, it worked well for me. I suppose it depends how you mean it though. If you like her and she doesn't like you back (at least not in that way), then it's time to move on, tough as that can be. On the other hand, if there's someone you really like I think it's better to pursue things with them. Gather up the confidence and go for it. It may hurt if you find it's not reciprocal, but it's worth it when it is.

Personally, I'd say focus, but have the courage to pursue it as well as to move on if need be. What you don't want is to find yourself wishing you were with someone else, and not knowing how it would have gone because you kept your options open and went for a different person.
X Abstract X
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by X Abstract X »

Right now I'm doing a final semester of school, only taking 1 class then I'm off to University next fall. So, you could pretty much say I'm done.

I have a lot of regrets but I feel like the highschool experience I wanted wasn't actually possible, atleast it wasn't at my school. I wanted to meet real, honest, reliable, mature, relaxed people without a care about what others think. I wanted to just hang out and chill with people without having to talk consistently to avoid what other's call "awkward silence". I didn't connect with many people at all in school. The girls were too shallow, and too focussed on maintaining popularity -- making them dull. I found that no one was unique/individual/real enough.

My biggest wish is that University brings people who aren't afraid to be different. I want people to be them-fucking-selves. Anyway, I've been thinking about this a lot lately so this topic is just my way to let it out.