Mistakes in game design (whining newbie)

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Mistakes in game design

Post by Falco Girgis »

Jesus Christ.

I absolutely refuse to read another sentence from Pubby. 8 page responses with the same basic ill-conceived babbling and droning on about our arrogance?

I have zero respect for people who spend their time bitching rather than working. You continue to rant, pout, and bitch, and I'll continue to keep getting my shit done and achieving my goals. I would ten times rather be an arrogant, productive asshole who achieves what he sets out to do rather than a self-righteous, annoying, whining cunt. ;)

We will see who winds up making it further in life.
pubby8
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by pubby8 »

I will keep my replies short.

@Arce:
It is fine that you disagree and feel need to voice it, but I think you should think listen to your own words and realize that calling me a "stupid troll" is no more effective than myself calling you a stupid fanboy. Also, arguing over whose more mature is generally a very immature thing do.

@Gyrovorbis:
You might want to step back and look at what you have said. While I may be bitching in this thread, I know for a fact that you have done quite a bit of pointless ranting yourself (as everyone does - it is human nature). Listen, do what works best for you, whether it involves following some of my advice, or doing it your way.

And get it out of your head that this is a me-vs-you argument, it's getting old. You guys know me very little (I know a great deal about the ES team from the many videos), and so I don't understand where you're getting all this junk on how I am an unproductive and unskilled person. I can share many things with you (and you may feel free to rip me apart as I have done to you), but until then, your arguments about such things hold no weight.
Firzen
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Space Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Gamecube, Pandora
Programming Language of Choice: C,C++,C#

Post by Firzen »

I didn't want to post in this thread but I kind of feel the need to do so right now, so here goes.

Pubby8, I do not care about what you have achieved or will achieve. I also do not care about your intelligence, since all that can not properly be judged through forum posts. Especially when your whole purpose for being here is
pubby8 wrote:I joined here because you guys piss me off - and so I can get into pointless arguments with assholes.
From that I just conclude the following:
  • You are well aware that this whole discussion is pointless
    You will not listen to any reasonable argument
    As soon as something you say gets debunked you will turn the "discussion" to another point
That only allows for one result, which is people wasting their time and effort to argue with you when it is actually pointless.
You are not actually here to discuss with us or even help us, but you are here for
pointless arguments
So everyone just stop replying and simply ignore him.
And Pubby8, do something that is actually useful or just keep on writing things here, whatever you feel like. I won't judge you in this post, because doing that wouldn't make any sense. I have however judged you personally and I will act accordingly in the future.

So I hope that this nuisance gets sorted quite soon, that people calm down, and that pubby finds something else to do.
pubby8

Post by pubby8 »

The discussion is pointless not because anyone's arguments were bad - or debunked, but because everyone here (including myself) is very stubborn and does not intend to change their opinion anytime soon.

And while everyone is stubborn, I know this discussion has definitely altered some of my opinions, and hopefully it has changed yours.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

The only opinions that this argument has altered are our own opinions regarding YOUR integrity. We all have zero respect for you now. Congrats. =/
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by pritam »

pubby8 wrote:@pritam: Face reality.
What reality is that pubby?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

pritam wrote:
pubby8 wrote:@pritam: Face reality.
What reality is that pubby?
The one that exists solely in his head. Irony.
Arce

Post by Arce »

Just because you've presented a disclaimer at the bottom of your post telling us (more or less) not to call you a dipshit, does not mean we should refrain from pointing out your blatant stupidity, nor should the community should defy their better judgement and place validity behind your garbadge.
The discussion is pointless not because anyone's arguments were bad - or debunked, but because everyone here (including myself) is very stubborn and does not intend to change their opinion anytime soon.
Not true. Again, I can find multiple topics where we have argued to the death our point, then, in the end, changed our opinion and apologized for the carnage.

This is simply not the case here because you have no credibility or recognizeable validity to your posts.

It is clear to me that you no longer wish to continue this argument. Nor do I. I am, however, prepared to continue a dignified discussion, if that is somehow how this will evolve...But I do not see it headed in that direction.

So, with this I say "good day to you" and remind you that I neither want or have respect for your opinion (entirely out of empirical experience in regard to both your mannerisms and lack of common values, logic, or ability to present a case), and hope that one day this image you have presented for yourself will change...

However, first impressions last, and I feel you've already taken up way too much of our time. =/

Entirely out of curiosity, how old are you?
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

He's just pissed off because he hasn't saved enough pocket money for the full version of game-maker. :roll:
pubby8

Post by pubby8 »

@Gyro:
Don't really see how having 0 respect from you affects me - especially since I had none (didn't know me) beforehand.
And since you seem to be so centered around respect, may it please/anger you that I hold no respect for you either.

@Pritam:
ES isn't going to suddenly to be complete, and I think it has serious flaws.

@Arce:
If I said wrong facts, please call me out on them (and refer to me as a "dipshit" if you prefer), but it is not at all insulting for you to describe me as such just because "I am."
So, with this I say "good day to you" and remind you that I neither want or have respect for your opinion (entirely out of empirical experience in regard to both your mannerisms and lack of common values, logic, or ability to present a case), and hope that one day this image you have presented for yourself will change...
I will say the same to you.

He's just pissed off because he hasn't saved enough pocket money for the full version of game-maker
I assume your daddy bought you your copy?
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by pritam »

pubby8 wrote:@Pritam:
ES isn't going to suddenly to be complete, and I think it has serious flaws.
If there's anyone who knows ES isn't going to be completed overnight it's us and what you think of flaws isn't really a concern as you don't have a hands on experience with the project in the first place.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Woah all I see is people saying that HEY I DON'T LIKE YOU CUZ YOUR IGNORANT AND DON'T LIKE ME... give it a rest publy, and seriously, why am I even contributing to this. I already know it won't stop because I know how Gyro and Arce get about defending the project, and I can tell pubbly's pride is hurt and he feels the need to back up whatever the fuck it is he believe in
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Post by THe Floating Brain »

Mistake 2: promoting early
A community is a great thing to have - it gives you people to play your game, and also support. The problem is that communities should be formed only after the game is nearly complete! Why?- well if you have a community, you start to make false promises to them. Game devs will spend hours discussing their game to community, in lieu of actually making it. Also, the bigger the community, the harder you will fall if your game dies!
isent he against this 0.0
-I've worked on games too. I've know programming too. I know developement hell too.
BS
I am not "the master," and I have many flaws...
Odviously
"You can't criticize anything since it isn't finished yet"
-So then stop posting it all over youtube and this forum! I would love to criticize the source - but it's not availible to me!
BUT, I do have access to like 200 lines from http://elysianshadows.com/project/album ... album?id=4
Is that suppost to be a threat you odviously dont relise A: 200 lines is nothing (well not that its bad code but that out of thousands of lines it is basicly nothing by comparison) B: EVERYONE CAN SEE THAT!
Wow I am probably the shittyist programmer here and I can still critisize you.
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Am I the only one who finds endless irony here? He sets out to prove a point being that we are super arrogant and are undeserving of your respect/support. In doing so, he has started a 3 page thread of people basically rallying for ES and defending us while simultaneously hurting his own image.

We are often credited with way too much for our Youtube series. We never set out to be famous. We never thought we would become successful. We never thought anybody would know what ES was or even join our forums from those videos. Now that we DO have an established viewerbase/fanbase, of course we take advantage of that, but we didn't have the initial foresight to realize how big the "Adventures in Game Development" would become--and I would never be arrogant enough to say otherwise.

But guess what? I DO have the foresight to see how posts from trolls like you bashing our project actually does us good. For everybody else who understands our passions, our goals, and what we are setting out to do, watching trolls like you rip into a project that we quite honestly dedicate a gigantic amount of time to and are sincerely passionate about probably makes us look even better. Look at TheNiceLordJ, JForce games, Bearrick, and all of those other attention whores. Those are some of the biggest threads on these boards with some of our most passionate defenders. You are failing at your own game, son.
pubby8

Post by pubby8 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Am I the only one who finds endless irony here? He sets out to prove a point being that we are super arrogant and are undeserving of your respect/support. In doing so, he has started a 3 page thread of people basically rallying for ES and defending us while simultaneously hurting his own image.

We are often credited with way too much for our Youtube series. We never set out to be famous. We never thought we would become successful. We never thought anybody would know what ES was or even join our forums from those videos. Now that we DO have an established viewerbase/fanbase, of course we take advantage of that, but we didn't have the initial foresight to realize how big the "Adventures in Game Development" would become--and I would never be arrogant enough to say otherwise.

But guess what? I DO have the foresight to see how posts from trolls like you bashing our project actually does us good. For everybody else who understands our passions, our goals, and what we are setting out to do, watching trolls like you rip into a project that we quite honestly dedicate a gigantic amount of time to and are sincerely passionate about probably makes us look even better. Look at TheNiceLordJ, JForce games, Bearrick, and all of those other attention whores. Those are some of the biggest threads on these boards with some of our most passionate defenders. You are failing at your own game, son.
He sets out to prove a point being that we are super arrogant and are undeserving of your respect/support.
In doing so, he has started a 3 page thread of people basically rallying for ES and defending us while simultaneously hurting his own image
You have basically said that I have achieved my "goal"
I said your community was full of dipshit fanboys - I get 10 mispelled comments telling me to "fack off dood u sux"
I said you were arrogant assholes - I get told that I am too low to say such things and that I need to be put in place.
I said that you are blind to criticism - and you brush this off and deny it.

My goal was to show you your flaws, and this topic shows them more than any of the clown videos I've seen of you.