Sprite fucking up

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Sprite fucking up

Post by dandymcgee »

N64vSNES wrote: Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Some unsuccessful programmers without a regular cash income would like to play ES aswell >:[
Who the hell complains about 99998fps? :roll:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

You dont need to fix it if it aint a problem. I love these kinds of remarks because you might flabberghast yourself if you'd simply profile the code. I'm sure given ES's complexity and very low render burden hardly any of your time is spent in the GL driver, so you can optimize away to your heart's content....if that ain't the bottleneck.....it wont amount to a nanosecond of performance gain.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

qpHalcy0n wrote:You dont need to fix it if it aint a problem. I love these kinds of remarks because you might flabberghast yourself if you'd simply profile the code. I'm sure given ES's complexity and very low render burden hardly any of your time is spent in the GL driver, so you can optimize away to your heart's content....if that ain't the bottleneck.....it wont amount to a nanosecond of performance gain.
Oh, I completely agree.

I'm all about optimizing the shit out of things. I think it's interesting and fun, and it gives me a deverection. But I really can't justify halting my own progress to fix some outdated OpenGL code that is neatly encapsulated a layer of abstraction away and works fine on any PC I've ran it on... At least the DC and PSP have actual, noticeable performance improvements... I can at least tell myself that spending time on that stuff is beneficial...
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Given that you are targeting two much weaker platforms, I suppose it's no big deal that you are applying a handicap to the PC build.

Still... :nono:
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

dandymcgee wrote:
N64vSNES wrote: Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Some unsuccessful programmers without a regular cash income would like to play ES aswell >:[
Who the hell complains about 99998fps? :roll:
Even us EQ amateurs are doing this for the map :lol:

I guess the if I was Falco I'd mainly be focusing on PSP optimizations.......Wow did we got off topic? :shock2:
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

I meant optimized mesh rendering, we're using it for the map.
If anyone is interested I ran a benchmark on how fast my computer render the map.

With NO optimization:
5-6 milliseconds

With optimization:
2-3 milliseconds

You're missing out Falco :lol:
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

i dont know if this applies, but testing something for 2ms vs 5ms isnt really a big enough test case. unless you meant you ran this over 1000 instances and it went from 2000ms to 5000ms
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

In terms of frame time, that is a poor assertion.

Where the target is 60Hz, which is generally considered very acceptable, you can spend no more than about 16ms per frame for render and logic combined. For instance, a very involved frame may take 8-12ms (12ms being the frame profile time for Crysis from a GPU profiling slide from Crytek) just for rendering. So for something where the rendering isn't particularly involved, 6ms->2ms is extremely significant. If I could juice 4ms out of my frame times I'd be an exceptionally happy man.
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

yes, my misunderstanding of a different type of testing :)
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

My bad guys this wasn't for the maps only it was for a entire frame :lol: