Dreamcast Development

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Dreamcast Development

Post by LeonBlade »

GyroVorbis wrote:I think I'm going to upload that sketch to the albums on the website. That was fucking funny.
:mrgreen:
There's no place like ~/
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Wii

Post by Lord Pingas »

OK, now I feel stupid. :oops:

Oh and one more thing...

NullDC ISN'T WORKING! HELP!
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

GyroVorbis wrote:I think I'm going to upload that sketch to the albums on the website. That was fucking funny.

OMG I lol'd so hard at that sketch. Kudos to LeonBlade.

And to OP, I would suggest doing a bit of work on your own for a few hours before asking every single itty bitty question here. You will probably find that you'll figure out the answers on your own and be better off in the end for it. Once you are actually stuck and can't move forward at all, then ask your questions.

Also, moar detail. "NullDC isn't working" is not good enough.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

Guess I gave my self quite the noob reputation. :oops:
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

Lord Pingas wrote:Guess I gave my self quite the noob reputation. :oops:
LOL. Not at all. You're already ahead of the game by asking questions instead of pretending that you know what you're talking about.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Again though, the big key is to get your hands dirty. If you can't do something, try to research it. Asking questions is never a bad thing, but if you find yourself posting questions every 10 minutes, then you're not trying to find your own answers at all.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

Trask wrote:Again though, the big key is to get your hands dirty. If you can't do something, try to research it. Asking questions is never a bad thing, but if you find yourself posting questions every 10 minutes, then you're not trying to find your own answers at all.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. You will definitely benefit from this.
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

Ok, sorry. :(

I'll keep that in mind.

But I was looking up a lot of stuff on KOS but I couldn't find anything in my defence.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Trask »

Well, like Gyro pointed out look at the examples, especially on how to make a sprite, input, and music and BAM you got yourself a simple game right there. All those examples also show what a KOS project needs to compile on the DC, the rest of it is your knowledge of C/++ and SDL. Don't expect to do what ES has done with the DC anytime soon.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

I might leave KOS for a while until I make a few more games on the PC.

I just downloaded OpenGL, GLUT and Visual C++ Express Edition and I will get working on 3d soon.

But in the meantime I might try and develop games for a piece of celery. That's what Falco and his team done right?
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Trask »

Exactly, you may want to wait awhile before programming for any bio-degradable platform for sometime until you get some experience under your belt.
Lord Pingas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Lord Pingas »

Yes, Trask, I think so too. :)

But celery is the exception.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

GyroVorbis wrote:Alright, alright, chill out. It's always very confusing for somebody who has been babied by compilers on Windows to understand GNU GCC tools. Let me help you out.

A compiler is nothing but a terminal application that takes .cpp files to compile to an executable as command-line arguments. Your IDE (devCPP) handles all of this stuff for you behind the scenes so that you never actually have to pass anything to the compiler yourself. You push compile, and it magically passes all of your .cpp files to the compiler (which then creates the executable for you).

In the Unix/Linux world, you don't really have IDEs like DevCPP that invoke the compiler for you. So a makefile is just a fancy file that basically has a list of your .cpp files and sends them to the compiler via the command-line.
I thought DevCpp used GCC? So I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard, or at least impossible to set it up for this... But I'm not sure, anyways I'm using devcpp right now for win32 crap because Microsoft's bull crap IDE won't even compile code right for it's OS... anyways, I might get a DC for some homebrew, they aren't too much on ebay, and i've been wanting to get into console development, this may be a good place to start :D
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

eatcomics wrote:anyways I'm using devcpp right now for win32 crap because Microsoft's bull crap IDE won't even compile code right for it's OS
Then you must be doing something wrong. I've used a dozen IDEs on a handful of platforms (Ubuntu, OSX, Windows), and I think Visual Studio is by far the best, most well-rounded, capable compiler out there. I'm not a big GCC fan by any stretch.
eatcomics wrote:I thought DevCpp used GCC? So I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard, or at least impossible to set it up for this...
I don't really understand what you're getting at. Yeah, Dev-C++ uses minGW (Windows port of GCC), but how is that going to help you compile something for a toolchain that has been compiled for another platform? You can't get the compiler to run under Windows. Yes, there's a way to do it (there's a way to do it for any compiler), but it's not pretty, and it doesn't have anything to do with DevC++ using GCC. It involves invoking the compiler through invoking cygwin and wrapping the output back to VS--a compiler mindfuck.
eatcomics wrote:anyways, I might get a DC for some homebrew, they aren't too much on ebay, and i've been wanting to get into console development, this may be a good place to start :D
Good for you. I got a PM from somebody who was also interested in the same. This topic pretty much walks you through the entire setup on Windows (in the smallest baby steps you can take). Once you have this down and the right hardware, you're seriously ready to make a game.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Gyrovorbis wrote:Then you must be doing something wrong. I've used a dozen IDEs on a handful of platforms (Ubuntu, OSX, Windows), and I think Visual Studio is by far the best, most well-rounded, capable compiler out there. I'm not a big GCC fan by any stretch.
I like VS but I've been having problems on this... I think it may be some vista bullcrap that's causing the issue, because I know its worked fine on my XP laptop... but anyways
Gyrovorbis wrote:I don't really understand what you're getting at. Yeah, Dev-C++ uses minGW (Windows port of GCC), but how is that going to help you compile something for a toolchain that has been compiled for another platform? You can't get the compiler to run under Windows. Yes, there's a way to do it (there's a way to do it for any compiler), but it's not pretty, and it doesn't have anything to do with DevC++ using GCC. It involves invoking the compiler through invoking cygwin and wrapping the output back to VS--a compiler mindfuck.
I just figured if it used GCC it wouldn't be hard to make the compile button compile for the dreamcast build, I didn't really think to much, I just said hey these two things are similar, maybe theres a connection didn't really know what I was talking about... But anyways you said a batch file or shell script or something would work for that so it doesn't matter.
Gyrovorbis wrote:Good for you. I got a PM from somebody who was also interested in the same. This topic pretty much walks you through the entire setup on Windows (in the smallest baby steps you can take). Once you have this down and the right hardware, you're seriously ready to make a game.
Sounds like a plan :D