'Cuz I couldn't afford *real* lessons...

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

'Cuz I couldn't afford *real* lessons...

Post by Arce »

Somtime after learning to play guitar hero, I got interested in the real thing. My friend had a cheap ass squier strat ((electric)) guitar, and because he was getting a new base, he let me "borrow" it. ((in quotes because he doesn't want/need it, and the term borrow is only being used because of her pissed mom, who purchased it)) and since then, a good 7(?) or so months ago, I've been playing.

Thing is, I can't afford lessons. He gave me his case, picks, a bunch of tabs, amp, cord, crybaby/wami bar, etc. for it, and at first I didn't have the slighest fucking idea how to use it. Not only that, bus my coordination was so fucking it, I had trouble plucking a single note. Not only this, but having never played an instrument or dealt with a guitar before, I had no clue how to tune it, so for the first few weeks I wondered if what i was playing was even sounding half correct, which made me reluctant to learn chords and train myself to incorrect sounds.

Then, finally, my girlfriend bought me a tuner and let me borrow her dad's 'The Ultimate Guitar Tutor' book. The tuner is awesome, and the book was only semi-useful, as it was very compact and short and left most everything involving the music theory up to the reader to figure out. It's great for reference, don't get me wrong, but it just wan't any good for more than basic chords/scales.

Then, as I began to get slightly more fluent by playing random tabs ((anyting from the mario theme to Blink 182, to simple guitar hero songs)) until finally, I decided I needed to know more about the music theory if I wanted to improve. A trip to my favorite tab website ((http://www.fretplay.com/)) showed me some kewl online lessons. After looking through some, I found one that looked pretty kewl called 'Jamarama.' I signed up for free 6 free lessons to be e-mailed to me, which were sent to my box once a week. After completeing the lessons, I thought it was pretty kewl and made it damned easy so learn. So I'm like, sweet, I should look into this.

Price check...Sweet! It's on sale!! Hellz yeah, 45$ for the complete package ((because he's launching a new version and it's onsale for a while)) and with tons of bonus software/games ((like flash flash revolution, only with notes that you identify with the keyboard as they more across the screen, or a game that teaches you to recognize how notes sound and stuff.)) But, fuck, no fucking money...

So I goto school the next day...And hellz yeah! My gai little essay I did a few minutes before class won a regional competition, and I got a 50 dollar check!! Sweet!!!!

I get home...And I bitch to my parent's to get it ((who were reluctant and suspicious, despite them having been approved by the better bussiness buero)) and they finalled ordered the downloadable verison ((150 dollars cheaper than getting the CD's for 6 different programs emailed to you))

So they pay with pay pal, and exactly 4 and a half minutes later, I've got the new guitar software on my computer. It's essentially a little application that connects to the internet and downloads each lesson individually when I tell it to--So while I work on the first one, I just tell it to download all 120 lessons ((a few GBs)) and Tadaa! IT'S FUCKING AWESOME AND SAFE I RECCOMEND TO ALL NOOBS IT'S GOOD AND HAD YOU PLAYING WITH KEWL MUSIC ASAP AND HAS MOVIES AND MP3S FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO! FUCKING GET IT!!!!!!

K thx bai.
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

I like playing slap bass or whatever on my cousin's. Fun redneck times
This is a joke about unfunny jokes. And bad use of irony.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Wutai wrote:I like playing slap bass or whatever on my cousin's. Fun redneck times
Slap bass is redneck? Tell that to the RHCP.
There is no signature.
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

I don't know what RHCP or whatever is. But I do know that I feel awful redneck playing an acoustic guitar in my cousin's room with a rebel flag hanging up on the wall.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Slap Bass is Flea's (from The Red Hot Chili Peppers) forte.
There is no signature.
Showdin
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Showdin »

Flea didn't invent slap bass. But he sure as hell enforces it. But I do beleive Les Claypool is better.
You are better than me.
Arce

Post by Arce »

Wutai wrote:I don't know what RHCP or whatever is. But I do know that I feel awful redneck playing an acoustic guitar in my cousin's room with a rebel flag hanging up on the wall.
You...Don't know....Teh Pepporz?

Shun the non-believer!!

Death to the infidel!!
Arce

Post by Arce »

Wutai, I suggest you go and download some RHCP. Now. Seriously, unless you want to be raped by a George Bush clone.
Arce

Post by Arce »

Okay, someone tell me what Guitar songs to learn? Preferably easy to intermediate ones? Thx.

Oh, and remember, I only have an electric, not acustic.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

He just didn't know what the acronym was reffering to is all.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Arce

Post by Arce »

And you're his spokesman since...When?

Yeah, I kinda figured that; who hasn't heard the pepporz?

:mrgreen:
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

Yeah, who uses acronyms thay nobody knows?
I know about them
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Wutai wrote:Yeah, who uses acronyms thay nobody knows?
I know about them
Uh...everyone I know would recognize that acronym.
Showdin wrote:Flea didn't invent slap bass. But he sure as hell enforces it. But I do beleive Les Claypool is better.
I never said he invented it, but he is amazing at it. I don't like Les Claypool, honestly...boring stuff.

The String Cheese Incident w/ Keller Williams is also some great stuff.
There is no signature.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Hmm... that was kinda obvious wasn't it... I need to quick eating those funny brownies.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Wutai
Chaos Rift God
Chaos Rift God

Post by Wutai »

I didn't know the acronym. That's all that matters. Stupid