&JIN

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

&JIN

Post by cypher1554R »

Yup.. That's the name of the engine I'm working on.
It might sound narcissistic, as if it wasn't enough to write my name once in the title x] ..
Which probably is.. a little.. I made it, I deserve it :P
If you read it, it sounds like you said "Mr. Jin engine".

After posting the latest video, I decided to open an official topic.

I don't dare to say what I'm planing to do, even if it's not god knows what. I just wouldn't like to promise something I wouldn't be able to carry out. The engine expands together with the ever more functionality performing requests by editor, which makes the process more harmonized.

Here is the basic concept of how things work in the editor:
There are 2 main managers (for now):
- Material Manager
- Object Manager

PhysX properties are a part of a certain material, Textures are linked to a certain material, and finally material can be linked to an object.
It all goes by linking, so you can have many objects assigned to one material, and stuff like that.

So far the PhysX properties only include dynamic or static checkbox option, and convex mesh object to actor creation. Triangle meshes aren't working too well for me. I'll see into that later. I still have to check out how softbody meshes, and cloth meshes work.

That's all about talk for now. Hopefully I'll post updates on progress (unless I get a life).[/joke]
Here is the latest video update (on editor): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjJkL9oP_a8

And here is the playlist with all the development videos uploaded so far: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 39A03E1054

edit: I changed name to just "&jin" .. less pretentious..
Last edited by cypher1554R on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re: MR.JIN&JIN

Post by trufun202 »

VERY cool, awesome work! Add another subscriber to your list. 8-)

I did find it interesting that you're applying physics properties to the material, rather than the object itself.

However, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Like, if the material is "brick", then any object with that material will have the same physical properties because its made of "bricks."

One possible variance between objects would be the mass. Can this still be different for two objects with the same material?
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

trufun202 wrote:One possible variance between objects would be the mass. Can this still be different for two objects with the same material?
Good question. I solved this in a very classy way 8-)

Instead of giving the mass to material, you give the density parameter, and then, mass is calculated for each object according to it's volume (which is calculated on physics mesh creation).
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

cypher1554R wrote:
trufun202 wrote:One possible variance between objects would be the mass. Can this still be different for two objects with the same material?
Good question. I solved this in a very classy way 8-)

Instead of giving the mass to material, you give the density parameter, and then, mass is calculated for each object according to it's volume (which is calculated on physics mesh creation).
Nice!
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Looking seriously impressive dude. I am subscribed to you, right? (Can't check, I'm at work). If not, I will when I get home. :D
cypher wrote:It might sound narcissistic, as if it wasn't enough to write my name once in the title x] ..
Hah, you sound like every girl that I've ever dated/slept with. I seem to attract the malignant narcissist and sociopath women...

...oh wait, maybe that's because every college aged girl is either a narcissist or wishes she was a narcissist.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

GyroVorbis wrote:Looking seriously impressive dude. I am subscribed to you, right? (Can't check, I'm at work). If not, I will when I get home. :D
Thanks! And yeah :) You were actually one of the first subscribers, if not the first..
GyroVorbis wrote:
cypher wrote:It might sound narcissistic, as if it wasn't enough to write my name once in the title x] ..
Hah, you sound like every girl that I've ever dated/slept with. I seem to attract the malignant narcissist and sociopath women...
Nah.. I talk about myself, but I'm also VERY generous at the same time, and always think about others. <- Which is why I hate the times we're living right now.
GyroVorbis wrote:...oh wait, maybe that's because every college aged girl is either a narcissist or wishes she was a narcissist.
Heh :) That, somehow, sounds familiar, now that I hear somebody say it (see somebody type it).
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Probably an episode of House or something. He generally seems to have similarly misanthropic views of women and the universe.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Half Life 2 fans!

Post by cypher1554R »

If you haven't noticed in the description. The first track in the (Editor: PhysX) video was made by ME :) (here I go again), as a sort of tribute to HL2.. It's a remix of track 17.. you probably can't remember which one is that, so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMmRyHN52UY

edit: It's only a prototype, I was going for something more techno-rocky.. I might make a full track some day.
mllarson
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Location: Minnesota, where "Cold as Hell" has real meaning...

Post by mllarson »

Added subscription. That was neat, however I can't decide if I should give it an "A" or a "B". It could go either way... (ba dum dum *pshhh*).

-Matt
"Mmmm... these paint chips are scrumptious!"
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Re: &JIN

Post by cypher1554R »

mllarson wrote:Added subscription. That was neat, however I can't decide if I should give it an "A" or a "B". It could go either way... (ba dum dum *pshhh*).
LOL! :P

Okay.. Where to start.. Long time no update. You can tell cause it even got to page 2. :P
I have an excuse for that tho. My old PC is now up there.. with Jesus or 72 virgins, or both.. and IT TOOK MY &JIN LIBRARY WITH IT!! BASTARD!
So, yeah. I had to rewrite everything again, from bottom up. That's what I was doing this whole time, and I still don't have the serialization part of the library written. You know damn well how interesting this part is. And here I am, stuck again, working on the object editor. The last one was able to read .x files and build them, which makes one new difference - this time it's reading .obj files. DirectX, goodbye for now, OpenGL 2.1 + GLSL (thanks to my new machine), your turn.
Unfortunately, no new footage so far, mainly cause there's nothing new to show, and before I start messing around with GLSL, I should get the basics done. But I do have a plan now.

Object Editor: Reads .obj files (one or more), give them PhysX properties, combine with joints as wished, export as .jso (&jin system object) which can be read by:
Map Editor: Simple GUI which lets you load the .jso files and place them in the map space. Save it as .jsm(&jin system map) which can be read by:
(still generic) Engine: everyone knows what this does. :) pumps resources into memory, places them where .jsm says, and simulates.

Right now I'm unsure about 2 things:
1) User Input Mechanism. Since it's all just generic, I still don't have any ideas about that. Depends on what kind of game it's going to be.
2) Triggers and events. One way is to use some kind of script wrapper and write it (never done anything like it). The other way is to implement this into the map editor, as a sort of collision checking and response, which is cool, but I think it would be very awkward with dialog control paths and stuff like that.

As soon as I'm done with what I'm doing right now, I'm gonna have to decide what kind of game it's going to be.

Since I love rpgs so much I was thinking about making one that's 3d, but has a classic 2d feel. I thought achieving this with that angled top down view I've shown in the previous demos.
Or maybe just make a simple ball game, and see how everything would work together. hm..
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

-- blank --
Last edited by cypher1554R on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

I split out some replies by OP's "request," they are now located at this thread.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Just checked the playlist, shit looks sick...
There's no place like ~/
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I havnt seen any of your vids... I'll check em out when iget my computer back... My friend is playing runescape, and I'm on his iPod :) it sounds awesome just to let you know!!!
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Wow.. can't believe it's been almost a year.

I made a lot of progress writing my project in OpenGL, but after a long battle inside my head I decided to port everything to Direct3D.

It's still not ready for video, but I wanted to drop some screen caps, so I'll just leave them here..