Raytracer

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Hyppo
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Raytracer

Post by Hyppo »

One of the posts about the raycaster reminded me about the basic raytracer I once made. The difference between a raycaster and a raytracer is that a raytracer uses a recursive function so It can easily make effects like relfections. The downside however is that this has a huge impact on the performance and is therefor not useable in realtime.

Here is an image of the spheres with one blue light, reflectivity and Anti-aliasing.

Note that I haven't used any 3D rendering library and it only uses SDL for drawing.

ps.

For more of my work visit my channel: http://www.youtube.com/hyppostudios
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Raytracer

Post by dandymcgee »

That's pretty cool, thanks for posting.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Hey, that's awesome!

So how powerful is it? Got any pics of it with more objects / materials on screen?
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
Hyppo
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Hyppo »

Not really that powerful, but It's a start. I'm thinking of rewriting it because it can only display spheres, it's a fixed camera and I can't show textures. The only thing holding me back is the ray-object collision math. Do you happen to know any good sources?